Author Topic: Thinkrider X2  (Read 818 times)

mrpercussive

Serge_K

Re: Thinkrider X2
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2024, 07:45:23 AM »
i have 2 smart trainers, and a power meter on my bike.
Inconsistencies between meters, and unreliable data, are extremely frustrating. Very quickly, it's worse than not having power data in the 1st place.
Also, and rather shockingly, the Pogi interview on Attia's podcast has Pogi say he basically trains with HR because the shimano power meter is so useless that it can't be relied upon. That's insane when you think about it, given that the likes of Favero have been flawless for years.
Anyway.

My point: unless there's a major price arbitrage, i'd stick with options that are tested, with warranty and support. Saving 100 eur (random number) on something like that can end up creating so much frustration that i'd be careful.
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

Fatbonzo

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2024, 06:18:05 AM »
In Germany a used Flux S usually comes in cheaper. U can get spare parts online.

GP Lama tested them okay I believe, but I would follow Serge's advise.

sbellote

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2024, 10:44:22 AM »
GPLama tested 2 models from Thinkrider I believe, got good readings, worth checking out
here in Brazil the Thinkrider brand is pretty popular, cost-efficient trainers and the brand imports them with good value - about half what you'll pay for the similar trainer from more famous brands. What I hear about these trainers from online forums and such, is mostly good reviews too

So, I agree with Serge's point
If the Thinkriders are much less, like the example I mentioned here for Brazil, I'd go for them, should be a good option
But if the difference is not that substantial, then maybe should be more worth buying some local option, or looking at second hand offerings...
Oh, and don't forget to consider freight and possible taxes to the Aliexpress price.

worth mentioning, Shimano's issue is (from what I remember) that the readings oscillate a lot, and then are not trustworthy. GPLama also has years of reviews on Shimano PM's and comparison to other PM's
but if the readings are consistent, even if the watts are not exactly on point, then it should be ok. This comes from Hunter Allen, one of the pioneers of training with power. The real importance is not that you're doing 290, 300 or 310W during an interval, but the 100 or 150W difference from what you were doing prior. That's where the focus should be.

00Garza

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2024, 07:47:31 AM »
$235 shipped to my door is a pretty tempting deal.

oxidizer

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2024, 09:20:14 AM »
I'm using the Thinkrider X5-neo. Works just fine, everything as expected. Firmware update & calibration also works. Tested pairing over ANT+ with Garmin watch and over BLE with phone running MyWhoos / PowerFun training app.

mrpercussive

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2024, 07:36:10 AM »

EXACTLY!!!! Winter is coming... im soft and wont go outside haha

soloconjotto

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2024, 11:32:56 AM »
Unfortunately not available at this price in Germany, otherwise I would have given it a try.

oxidizer

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2024, 11:48:18 AM »
400eur in eu atm

Ludo

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2024, 11:57:49 AM »

I am so tempted to click…

soloconjotto

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2024, 02:33:51 AM »
400eur in eu atm

And that's the price at which I would absolutely agree with Serge. Rather get a used Kickr or that Zwift thing then.

00Garza

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2024, 12:15:17 PM »
Well I caved in and pulled the trigger. I usually won’t buy something that doesn’t have at least a few reviews, but I guess I’m the guinea pig for this one. Came out to $238.63 after coupons and taxes.

Ludo

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2024, 12:24:14 PM »
Did you get a hub for it, doesn’t look like it comes with it

00Garza

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2024, 01:21:56 PM »
Did you get a hub for it, doesn’t look like it comes with it

Yeah, I can’t find a straightforward list of what it comes with.
All I see in the description is “Cassette: Adaptation shimano/SRAM 8-11s cassette (XDR, CP Freehub optional)”
I thought that implies it comes with Shimano hub. I have the thinkrider hub in wishlist just in case though.

Ludo

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2024, 02:05:25 PM »
I understood the same but as I am running 12s I knew I needed the hub, you may be right.
Looking forward to your testing, I may get one for 11.11 if it works out good for you