Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

Can 29er MTB frame assembled with 27.5er wheels?

<< < (13/17) > >>

SportingGoods:
WTB TB is definitely a rear tire (fast rolling). The NN at the front made a great difference in control on the DH sections. Honestly, if my frame was wide enough I would use a NN in the rear as well. But 65 mm is the max that will fit.

My current dream bike is CS-M04 frame with Eagle drive train, Pike fork and 2 Nobby Nic. I am convinced that a short travel FS is ideal with 27.5+. But that's a lot of money (frame + drive train + fork + hubs)  :'(

Carbon_Dude:
After removing my wheels and taking careful measurements, I have updated my post #46. 

Patrick C.:
Well, they are definitely fatter, but I have not had a proper ride yet so I can't tell how much difference it makes.  I ordered the HR740C rims from Peter at xmcarbonspeed.com and built them up with XT M8000 hubs and DT Swiss Revolution spokes.  Front tire is the 2.8 Nobby Nic, and the rear is the 2.8 WTB Trailblazer.  I got the hubs, spokes, and NN tires from Bike24.com- good prices and everything was correct.  Shipping time was a few days longer than a US store would have been, but it didn't delay anything. 

I considered using DT Swiss 350 hubs for these wheels like I did on my first set, but in the end decided to go with the XT hubs.  The M8000 freehub is 36 POE and about 30 g heavier than the DT Swiss 350; the XT front hub is also about 30 g heavier than the 350 counterpart.  Of course the big difference is price- the pair of XT hubs was under $70, or a little less than a DT Swiss 350 front hub.  The trade off here is about 60 grams for about $200.  I have not taken the hubs apart yet, but I plan to open them up and make sure everything is greased properly before I take a real ride. 

Building the wheels was about the same as the first time- this is only my second set, with about a year and a half in between.  It wasn't fast, but I can brag to everybody at the trailhead that I built these wheels.  (of course, I won't be bragging if I'm walking back :) )   I didn't run into any problems.  The given ERD number of 545.6 is good (though I question the significant figures)- I measured it at 546.  I had to dig quite a bit to get all the measurements for the XT hubs, but eventually found what I needed in Shimano's online manuals.  I used the DT Swiss calculator and ordered spokes before getting the rims or hubs in hand so I was taking a bit of a risk, but all of the given measurements were correct so the spokes fit.  I used 1" wide Gorilla tape with a couple of inches overlap on each side of the valve.  This leaves a bit of a gap on the edges, but it completely fills the center channel.

The rims both weighed in at 455 g.  The hubs were 170 g and 320 g, finished wheels were 790 g and 945 g, or 1835 for the set.  Tape, valve stems, and skewers brought them up to 865 g and 1025 g.  The 2.8 Nobby Nic is 825 g, the Trailblazer is slightly more (a little over 900) but apparently I didn't write it down. 

The 2.8 Nobby Nic is tight in front with a 2014 Rockshox SID.  Same in the back with the Trailblazer- your wheels better be true and dished properly.  Getting the tires on the rim was hard, but not unreasonably so.  No swearing was required.  They take A LOT of sealant- I put about 4 oz/100 ml of homebrew sealant in each.  I started with 2 oz in the NN and it wasn't holding, but 2 more seems to have done it. 

Geometry seems to be pretty much the same- I'm not confident in my BB height measurement, but it is very close.  The front fork angle (measured with the level on my phone) is the same with the 27.5+ in the front and the 29 wheel in the back as with both 29 wheels, so the final tire circumference is very close to the same.

Continental 2.4 X-King and 2.8 Nobby Nic comparison-

It started raining before I could take a quick ride through the woods- maybe tomorrow.

Patrick C.:
Forgot to add, service from Peter was excellent as always.  I received the rims 2 weeks after ordering.  Well packed and protected.

Carbon_Dude:
Great post Patrick C!  Thanks for sharing.  Another future purchase of mine will be a set of 40mm 27.5 wheels from Peter and some 2.8" tires.  Now that I know I can use them on either my -036 or my -057 (just like your frame).

Let us know what you gained in tire width and how much extra grip you feel.  Also, let us know your impressions of ride quality.  Those bigger tires should provide a noticeable improvement.

Lastly, what is your measured clearances front and rear?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version