Author Topic: My FM-057 Build Thread.  (Read 56925 times)

manmythlegend

Re: My FM-057 Build Thread.
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2014, 03:02:51 PM »
The B screw lol...

It took me eons to figure out wth it was for , when I had shifting issues this year I had to go back and readup as I a had forgotten.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2014, 05:40:32 PM »
Anywho...I like the last logo , and the bike looks great. Have you had any issues with chain drop ?
Also I never realized you could increase the size of the last cog. Is it just a simple swap ?

Thanks. Zero issues with chain drop and I'm confident that I won't. With narrow wide chain rings and clutch rear derailleurs I think we can collectively say that is a problem of the past. Took far too long imo but that's another topic.

As for swapping to a bigger cog int the rear.. I haven't done it personally but from what I can tell it should be a simple install. Although, it may require some adjustment to drive train after install. I'll probably be holding off on upgrading to a 40T in the rear simply bc I really don't need it for the trails I'm currently riding. Also, with sram just coming out with the X! set-up I'm really interested to see what kind of price those pop up at within the next 3-6 months.

Tony

« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2014, 07:04:03 PM »
Hey guys, just ran into this site. It's pretty coo. I'm in the middle of my IP057 build. I've never posted on any boards so I don't know how to post pics. Sorryl

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
Easiest way to post a pic is to add a .jpg photo as an attachment below the reply box you will see.  However, you may need to have at least 5 posts before you can add attachments.

Another option is to create an account on a picture website like Photobucket.com and post a link from the image to this board.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2014, 10:58:23 PM »
Just use http://imgur.com/

no sign up needed. super simple. 

Tony

« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2014, 07:59:22 PM »
Hope this works!

http://imgur.com/a/46nS1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:02:31 PM by Carbon_Dude »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2014, 08:02:54 PM »
Didn't work but I fixed it for you Tony.

Looks good.  I like the Lefty fork with the remote lock out.  Next time post a few pictures of the other side of the bike :).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 08:09:47 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Tony

« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2014, 08:11:22 PM »
Thanks! I'm waiting on carbon wheels from Yoeleo, install chain, and some minor adjustments and my build will be complete. This is an awesome board. Few of my buddies were skeptical regarding these frames but they have since become believers. No more overpriced brand bikes for me!

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2014, 08:19:15 PM »
Thanks! I'm waiting on carbon wheels from Yoeleo, install chain, and some minor adjustments and my build will be complete. This is an awesome board. Few of my buddies were skeptical regarding these frames but they have since become believers. No more overpriced brand bikes for me!

Yep, that's most people on MTBR, they think there is no way I can buy a good quality carbon hard tail frame for less than $2,000, and yet the Chinese Carbon Frame thread is the longest, most active thread on that board.

Please post more pictures when you get your build completed Tony.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2014, 02:19:47 PM »
Hey fellas.. made a quick vid:

Ray Zorbak

« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2014, 04:15:13 PM »
Great video Ned. Noticed the Hot Springs tower in the distance

Vipassana

« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2014, 04:32:54 PM »
Thanks for posting the video review. It helped boost my confidence with my purchase which hadn't arrived yet.

How do you like the Manitou suspension fork?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2014, 05:00:38 PM »
Great video Ned. Noticed the Hot Springs tower in the distance

Hah! Panned back to the left just for you, Ray. Was wondering if you'd recognize it, lol.

How do you like the Manitou suspension fork?

Like it a lot. The only other nice suspension fork that I've owned was a lefty and while I really like the weight and the looks of the lefty, the suspension action on the Manitou seems comparable to it, and just as good or better than a Fox that I test rode fairly extensively on a Trek I rented from my lbs a few months ago. To be honest.. it's usually pretty hard for me to detect subtle differences in suspension forks, but this Manitou actually has a coil spring that controls the first half of it's travel and I can definitely tell it's there - and I like it. Seems to be really responsive on small bumps, which is the reason I went with it in the first place. I also like the hexagon shaped ends on the the thru-axle (they call it hex-lock, of course), that is supposed to help with increased torsional rigidity..  not sure if it actually helps but it seems like a design improvement . Oh, and the price. The fork was actually the first thing I bought for the whole build.. saw it for $275 and though I'd snag it up. Glad I did. Really like it so far.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2014, 05:39:47 PM »
Really liked the video SN!  The view from the mountain top was very nice and a good setting.  Your bike is so CLEAN!

I've been riding mine about every other day and we've had daily showers here so the trails are a bit damp in places so my bikes are not clean.

Sell the Sun Ringles and get some hookles carbons!

While I love the look of the rigid carbon fork, it would beat me up so bad on the trails we have here, just too many roots, rocks, and small drops on my favorite nearby single track.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »
Really liked the video SN!  The view from the mountain top was very nice and a good setting.  Your bike is so CLEAN!

I've been riding mine about every other day and we've had daily showers here so the trails are a bit damp in places so my bikes are not clean.

Sell the Sun Ringles and get some hookles carbons!

While I love the look of the rigid carbon fork, it would beat me up so bad on the trails we have here, just too many roots, rocks, and small drops on my favorite nearby single track.

Thinking I'll keep the Sun Ringle hubs and just send them to be laced to the 30mm hookless carbon. Wish I could win the frkn contest!  ;D Didn't think I could go that route initially bc the Sun hubs are 28 hole and I had assumed that the carbon ones were 32 hole, but I'm pretty sure they ahave a 28 hole option. Do you happen to know for certain about that, CD?

The carbon rigid forks do look sweet! And to be clear.. I do think that a suspension fork is preferred, but if my budget was more limited I wouldn't hesitate to get the rigid fork - spend that money on carbon rims or something. Just saying that when I started the build my mindset was "I absolutely must have a good suspension fork", now I think I'd be happy with a fully rigid, fully carbon (spend money saved on fork on carbon rims instead) light weight build. Basically, with budget in mind, I might would prioritize carbon hoops over suspension fork. That is, of course, with the intentions of building a full suspension chiner at some point. If I didn't plan on the full squish - I may not be so willing to go without the front suspension fork on the hardtail. I think I may transfer the Manitou over to a full suspension chiner, and put the carbon rigid on the hardtail. Will take a few hundred dollars off my full squish build.