Chinese Carbon MTB > 29+ & 27+

CS-496 Build / 27.5+

<< < (2/18) > >>

Patrick C.:
Thanks for the pics!  I'm a bit surprised to see that there is not a metal insert for the left side of the axle.  Is that common on thru axle designs?  (My Chiner is old school QRs :) )

SportingGoods:
I'm not a TA expert, I've always had QR. But, from a mechanical stand point, it looks good to me. The metal piece on the drive side is actually the nut of the axle (you can see it on my picture). There is no difference between this piece pressing against the frame and the non-drive side of the axle pressing against the frame.
Adding a piece of metal, "encapsulated" within the carbon would most likely weaken the frame.

Patrick C.:
My concern would be the axle rubbing/fretting the frame.  Is there a washer between the end of the axle and the frame, or something else to be sure that it doesn't rub?

Carbon_Dude:
I wouldn't think there would be much issue with the way the dropouts are done on the CS-496.  Since there is metal on either side, and it looks like the holes in the frame are slightly larger than the drop outs.

SportingGoods:
Now that the road bike is done, I'm really kicking off the MTB build!

First step, I need a rear wheel  :D CS-496 is a Boost frame. My wheels are not. I have dismounted my rear wheel (35mm ID carbon from Peter, FYI the rim is 459g) and I'm ready to put it back together with the Boost/xD driver hub (from Peter as well).

Good news: I made my calculations and found that I can keep the spokes. The difference is a fraction of a mm (because the hubs are the same reference, except one is Boost). Nipples are in good shape even though they are Aluminum. I'll reuse those as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version