Author Topic: Welcome to Chinertown - Introduce Yourself!  (Read 207757 times)

Carbon_Dude

Re: Welcome to Chinertown!
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2014, 01:04:51 PM »
Just saying hello after signing up !

Came across this forum after googling the hell out of Chinese Carbon 29er !  Seems like this is going to be the place to go after trawling through 300+ page threads on other forums  ::)

After test riding a Whyte and Orange 29er last summer I decided that it 29er was the way forward for me, as I enjoy spannering I thought I would give a self build a go and then it was only a while before I fell down the Chiner rabbit hole !

As a complete novice I have already learnt a lot just from reading about your experiences and have already made some mistakes !

Go easy on me. I'm new  :)

Cheers.

Welcome Sussed!  Since you are from the UK, cheers and tally ho! :)

2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sussed.

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
Cheers CD.

Thanks, Just waiting on BB and headset then I can get properly stuck into it.  Are Noobs allowed to create a new thread ? Was thinking of doing the usual pics, thoughts, problems etc for my build.

MTB2223

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »
Are Noobs allowed to create a new thread ? Was thinking of doing the usual pics, thoughts, problems etc for my build.
Of course!!! There aren't dumb questions. Please, don't hesitate to ask.
The more 'Noobs' ask, the more information will come on this forum. So, we need your questions, pictures and the things you did wrong or you didn't wrong.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:55:04 PM by MTB2223 »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2014, 11:24:45 PM »
We're all "noobs" basically! Welcome to Chinertown Sussed. Looking forward to seeing your build thread.

Midwest-MTBer

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 02:01:57 PM »
Wow am I glad to have found this forum! Its so easy to get lost in the forums of MTBR!

Anyways excellent job getting this site going. It certainly seems like it will provide tons of information to those looking to build their own chiner.

I'll probably be sitting on the sidelines for awhile here trying to just learn and figure out what I'll actually need to start my build this winter! As this will be my first build I get into I hope you guys don't mind the noob questions!

Thanks!

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 04:02:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind words... Welcome!

Don't worry - Fire away with the noob questions! Good choice on building a chiner... You'll have tons of fun, gain knowledge, and have a high end carbon bike for a decent price when it's all said and done.

Joelk

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2014, 09:58:58 PM »
Thanks everyone for all of the good info! 

I recently ordered an IP256SL from Peter at IPlay based on the info and reviews here.

juu-zo

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2014, 09:46:34 AM »
Hi, I'm new in chinertown and ordered IP256 10 days ago. Just wondering if anybody have ordered goods from Bert? I paid my frame and parts 10 days ago and haven't got any tracking number or anything. Now I have tried to ask what is the status of my order and Bert is not answering anymore. The frame and parts should have been in stock when I made the order. Anybody else have any problems with Bert?

Oolak

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
Hi, I'm new in chinertown and ordered IP256 10 days ago. Just wondering if anybody have ordered goods from Bert? I paid my frame and parts 10 days ago and haven't got any tracking number or anything. Now I have tried to ask what is the status of my order and Bert is not answering anymore. The frame and parts should have been in stock when I made the order. Anybody else have any problems with Bert?

Bert and Peter are both from Iplay and they both drop the ball with communication sometimes - slightly annoying, but no worries - you'll get your frame. That said, you should've gotten a reply and/or tracking number by now. I'd give Bert another shout and if no luck email Peter, and if still no luck I'd start a thread in the vendor review section: http://chinertown.com/index.php/board,7.0.html

kuipino

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2014, 11:52:49 AM »
Hi  I had also some trouble with Bert, I mean no answers on emails but today the postmen arrived with a wheelset sadly I had no money to  pay the customs tax  :( so Monday I have to go to the post office. Bert never sent a tracking code only a short email that he was going to send the wheel set.
So don't worry your frame will come.

Dustin_mud

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »
   Wanted to say hi after singing up, my name is Dustin and live in Tx.

I'm still very new to mountain biking, as of right now I have a 2012 Jamis Dragon 29 sport(heavy steel bike). Looking to find a carbon frame to swap everything over from the Dragon.

Have a ton to learn as I have never built a bike before but very mechanically skilled as I have been building cars and trucks for many years so I hope I can learn fast.

Oolak

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 03:46:50 PM »
   Wanted to say hi after singing up, my name is Dustin and live in Tx.

I'm still very new to mountain biking, as of right now I have a 2012 Jamis Dragon 29 sport(heavy steel bike). Looking to find a carbon frame to swap everything over from the Dragon.

Have a ton to learn as I have never built a bike before but very mechanically skilled as I have been building cars and trucks for many years so I hope I can learn fast.

Welcome Dustin!

That'll be a great upgrade for you to make. The guys here will answer any questions you might encounter along the way. Start a thread, and go from there.. You'll want to make sure you have compatible axle types, derailleur mounts, etc.

At some point, you might also consider upgrading to some carbon rims - depending on your current wheels you may be able to reuse your hubs and have a light weight, high performance, mostly carbon rig for minimal $$$

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »
Welcome to the forums Dustin!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Dustin_mud

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 04:28:07 PM »
I'll try my best to start a thread tonight giving all the info I know on my bike and get your guys advice on best frame for me.

cmh

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 04:06:52 PM »
Also saying hi - made the most of in-flight wifi on a long flight a week or two ago to read through as much of the forums as I could.  Good stuff! Currently looking at the 057 or 256, but also checking out the fat bikes. Coming into fat bike season, but it seems like a fat bike would need a bunch more parts that I don't currently have, (wheels being the most expensive beyond frameset) so I'll probably start with the hardtail as I have most all the parts I need to build one. Have already started the convo with Peter @ XMIplay but might not be able to move on it immediately. I almost bought a Chiner road bike at the beginning of the year, but really sub-par communication had me cancel the order.  Glad to see things are getting better!