Author Topic: Light Carbon FS713 build planning  (Read 44536 times)

ChinaCruz

Re: Light Carbon FS713 build planning
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2019, 09:45:12 AM »
Nice build, Dodo. That McLeod is a great shock and it is customizable if you don't like the stock tune.

GreyCactus

« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2019, 10:59:37 AM »
Some more impressions
Great build!
How do you feel the bike? Good pedal efficiency? And suspension feel?

GreyCactus

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 09:58:45 AM »
My frame arrived to postal office.  ;D
Tomorrow I going for it

GreyCactus

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 08:31:14 AM »
Is really strong frame, good details, good construction, I’m impressed.
Now, I’m searching fork, maybe Pike 150 or Lyrik 160.
Flying Dodo, have you any issues?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 08:35:19 AM by GreyCactus »

FlyingDodo

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »
Dusted another 50km Route this weekend. First of all i have to say this my first 29er bike and coming from 26er this is a big change and I'm still learning how to handle the bike. Because I'm running a 170cm fork the bike is very high. I'm already thinking to go down to 150/160. In General very happy with the frame. When I start a Tour for about the first 20min the BB makes ugly noises when going strong. But that then stops. To be honsest I have not checked the frame for cracks but I couldnt feel anything so far. Will check before my next ride.

ReverendRockRazor

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2019, 05:35:32 PM »
 I wonder if you could go with a 200x57 and lower that bb. That's got to be part of the reason the handling is so much different. That's like 40mm higher then I like it. It's gotta have very teetering feeling to it.

GreyCactus

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2019, 09:44:26 AM »
I wonder if you could go with a 200x57 and lower that bb. That's got to be part of the reason the handling is so much different. That's like 40mm higher then I like it. It's gotta have very teetering feeling to it.
First of all, the 2 positions of the shock, are for 2 different shock sizes.
10mm of drop is too much drop! (21mm effective drop, with the ratio of the wheel)
Second, we must verify that the moving parts do not have contact when changing the link position.
I bought a 200x57 cane creek DB air.
For now, I’m waiting for the rest of the components. Once the bike are ready I will check this. I also buy a pair of offset bushes to play with it

sclyde2

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2019, 04:35:19 PM »
My wheels arrived yesterday for my FM08, which I suspect is the same frame.  The eye-to-eye at lowest bottom out**, to the '200' flip chip position, is 131mm.  I didn't measure the eye to eye at bottom out to the '210' position, but it is probably 10mm more (around 141mm).  Would need to check that it is at least 143mm before putting a 200x57 in the 210 position. 

**On my frame, with a 29x2.35 rear tyre,the cross brace on the swing link contacts the frame. Maybe with a bigger tyre, the tyre might hit first.

If you have a look at the leverage curve, you'd notice the leverage ratio is around 3.0-3.2 at top out.  Putting a 200 e2e shock in the 210 position would take 10mm of shock travel off the top, which would translate to around 31mm at the rear wheel, the the back end would drop that much.  The BB would drop less, because it is forward of the back end (prob drop about two thirds). I haven't done the exact angle calcs, but that much rear end drop would make it way too slack for me

GreyCactus

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2019, 06:23:32 PM »
My wheels arrived yesterday for my FM08, which I suspect is the same frame.  The eye-to-eye at lowest bottom out**, to the '200' flip chip position, is 131mm.  I didn't measure the eye to eye at bottom out to the '210' position, but it is probably 10mm more (around 141mm).  Would need to check that it is at least 143mm before putting a 200x57 in the 210 position. 

**On my frame, with a 29x2.35 rear tyre,the cross brace on the swing link contacts the frame. Maybe with a bigger tyre, the tyre might hit first.

If you have a look at the leverage curve, you'd notice the leverage ratio is around 3.0-3.2 at top out.  Putting a 200 e2e shock in the 210 position would take 10mm of shock travel off the top, which would translate to around 31mm at the rear wheel, the the back end would drop that much.  The BB would drop less, because it is forward of the back end (prob drop about two thirds). I haven't done the exact angle calcs, but that much rear end drop would make it way too slack for me
Thanks for your response!
The LR is around 2.0 at bottom, and 3.2 in the first part of the curve!
Can you post some photos? Tire clearance?

sclyde2

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2019, 08:28:01 PM »
Correction to the "at least 143mm".  Should be "less than 143mm" for you to avoid frame contact with a 200x57 in the '210' flip chip position.

I took some photos yesterday of my part completed bike bottomed out, showing the clearance between the tyre and seat tube, the crossbrace touching the frame and the 131mm e2e measurement.  See photos in my build thread: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2825.0.html

By the way, with a much shorter fork (pike at 130mm), and using xc 29x2.35 tyres, I am getting a very acceptable BB height - around 340-342mm with a 200 e2e shock in the '200' position.  I need to check this measurement on flatter ground though.   It will go a touch higher when I extend the fork to 140mm, but I'm guessing barely 6mm more.  As I am aiming for 340, I will still short shock it, but it looks like I won't need to short shock it much, only about 3-4mm.  I am guessing this will get me to pretty much the same setup (travel and geo) as a rocky mountain instinct (non-BC) with it in the 'slack' position.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:32:17 AM by sclyde2 »

GreyCactus

« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2019, 07:30:21 AM »
Correction to the "at least 143mm".  Should be "less than 143mm" for you to avoid frame contact with a 200x57 in the '210' flip chip position.

I took some photos yesterday of my part completed bike bottomed out, showing the clearance between the tyre and seat tube, the crossbrace touching the frame and the 131mm e2e measurement.  See photos in my build thread: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,2825.0.html

By the way, with a much shorter fork (pike at 130mm), and using xc 29x2.35 tyres, I am getting a very acceptable BB height - around 340-342mm with a 200 e2e shock in the '200' position.  I need to check this measurement on flatter ground though.   It will go a touch higher when I extend the fork to 140mm, but I'm guessing barely 6mm more.  As I am aiming for 340, I will still short shock it, but it looks like I won't need to short shock it much, only about 3-4mm.  I am guessing this will get me to pretty much the same setup (travel and geo) as a rocky mountain instinct (non-BC) with it in the 'slack' position.
Good information, with offset bushes, I can convert 200x57 to 204x57. And put in 210 position.
Or also I can put in inverse and convert it to 196x57 and put in 200mm pos. To slackening the bike

Your bike seems good!

sclyde2

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2019, 06:11:35 AM »
You have got me rethinking my idea to short shock the bike.  Perhaps I should instead just use offset bushes with my current 200x51 shock...  do you get them from offsetbushings.com?  What size?  Gonna look into it.  Gotta ride it first though.

I am also gonna have a go at squeezing a 22.2 into that front shock mount, just in case it fits.  I mistakenly put a 21.85 in my other bike for a while, before realising it wasn't quite right, and could fit a 22.2.

Still haven't quite finished building my FM08 yet.  But am very very close now.  My initial build is turning out to be just about as XC as you could make this frame.  I'll update my other thread in the next few hours.  Won't be riding it for a while though - there's been about 50mm of rain here over the last couple of days, with more to come. 

GreyCactus

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2019, 03:50:21 PM »
You have got me rethinking my idea to short shock the bike.  Perhaps I should instead just use offset bushes with my current 200x51 shock...  do you get them from offsetbushings.com?  What size?  Gonna look into it.  Gotta ride it first though.

I am also gonna have a go at squeezing a 22.2 into that front shock mount, just in case it fits.  I mistakenly put a 21.85 in my other bike for a while, before realising it wasn't quite right, and could fit a 22.2.

Still haven't quite finished building my FM08 yet.  But am very very close now.  My initial build is turning out to be just about as XC as you could make this frame.  I'll update my other thread in the next few hours.  Won't be riding it for a while though - there's been about 50mm of rain here over the last couple of days, with more to come.
Bushes size is 22mm x 8mm with 2mm offset each one! Isn’t expensive, and is easy to install!
I wait for your pictures!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:39:16 PM by GreyCactus »

sclyde2

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2019, 03:57:52 AM »
I have finished the initial build on my FM08, and have done a very brief test ride - see my thread in the 29er section.  I've added a few photos to that thread.

I tried to fit a 22.2 in the front shock mount and couldn't fit it.  What info did you receive that suggested you should get 22.2 offset bushings for both ends?  For my frame, the Tantan site is silent on this.  I had a look at the light Carbon and yishunbike sites (which seem to have the same frame), and they seem to suggest "22".

GreyCactus

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2019, 03:40:04 PM »
I have finished the initial build on my FM08, and have done a very brief test ride - see my thread in the 29er section.  I've added a few photos to that thread.

I tried to fit a 22.2 in the front shock mount and couldn't fit it.  What info did you receive that suggested you should get 22.2 offset bushings for both ends?  For my frame, the Tantan site is silent on this.  I had a look at the light Carbon and yishunbike sites (which seem to have the same frame), and they seem to suggest "22".
Edited  ;D