Author Topic: 29er MTB and Road Frame  (Read 4653 times)

DuraFace

29er MTB and Road Frame
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:29:04 PM »
Hi guys
After hours and hours of reading and browsing through the web I found this forum.... Meanwhile I figured I am not only cycle but as well carbon addicted :D  There's worse addictions in life, so accept this one.

What I did so far:
Visit HongFu, HZ Bikes, GotoBikes, PlanetX (UK), Carbonality
Chitchated on skype  with GotoBikes and Hongfu.

The objective (for both: I'm a Shimano guy. Have XT on MTB and DA/Ultegra on two others):
a) Transform my Trekking Bike (heavy Alloy frame) to a 29er
Seeking throught German Bike shops, I got myself a Rigid 29er Carbon fork from Syncros XC-01 for arround 500 Euros (you won't believe, there was basically not as real choice)
After coming over the asian vendors, a pitty for the money - as most offer rigid forks.
So anyway... I am trying to get a 29er HardTail frame.
- internal cablerouting prefered
- standard 9mm Axle preferred (esp. in front/fork)
- Seatpost 31.6 or 27.2
- BSA 70, 68, BB90 (doesn't matter too much, should just came as a standard shimano part)
- Front: 1 1/8 or tapered (I found, there are some offerings with 1 1/2, but at least here in Europe I didn't find any other 1 1/2 forks other than the Cannondale lefty. Is there headsets that adapt somehow 1 1/2 in a 1 1/8 frame head?)
- T1000
- Stable: I am 1.90m - 100 kilos + equipment

b) my Road Bike... I have a Quantec SLR (Alloy - black as Chiner ;)) and a Kuota K-Factor (2007)
The K-Factor, I include you a picture, is actually my love. Ridden a lot on it, first real own race bike.
Today I use the Quantec SLR as my "mountain" road bike and the Kuota as my "lake TT" bike. The Kuota is not stiff enough and starts bending uphill or arround 50++ km/h downhill.  So I seek to have a candidate that replaces the Kuota. If it is replaced, I'd need a good paint job either in Chiner or sth. Paintbrush here. I am not sure what kind of designs requests they can fulfill and how the outcome would be... => "I send you some CAD drawings ok?"  " I send you a picture of some nasty skulls, just spread it all over the bike"  "make it look like the Kuota, but change the text to..."

I have been looking at:
http://www.gotobike.com.cn/ns_detail.asp?id=502238&nowmenuid=502207&previd=0
But no T1000 - 1 1/2...

For Road
http://hongfu-bikes.en.alibaba.com/product/930572955-210851416/FM069_From_HongFu_Bikes_Chinese_Road_Frame_Carbon_Super_Light_weight_780_920g_ShenZhen_Carbon_Road_Bike_Frame.html

I talked directly to hongfu / not Aliexpress (surprisingly they told me 630 USD but with seatpost/fork/headset)

So there is still a lot of sites that I didn't know up until you guys (the xiam sites)... I'll be following my addiction a few hours more, but would of course be happy about your feedback.

Maybe some of you know more, have good experience with this and that dealer/person.
It is kind of end season here, so prices drop for the premium brands in winter anyway.... does this happen in chiner as well?

What I really don't have is time pressure. I have 3 working bikes and at the end it's optimazations to satisfy a craving cycle and carbon desire (i will loose some weight meanwhile).

THX  & best regards DF

P.S. need to deliver attachment later due to resizing

PeterQ

Re: 29er MTB and Road Frame
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 02:15:28 AM »
I think this is an old topic, people talked much about T700/T800/T1000 carbon fiber before.

Actually, it is illegal to use T1000 for any carbon bike frame, because T1000 is only legal to use for military in China. It is impossible for any factory or any private person to use these top end carbon fiber sheet. So we never declare our frames are made with T1000.

IP-066SL and IP-032 SL road frames, IP-256 SL 29er frame and IP-196 SL 27.5er frames are all made with T800 carbon fiber

T800 carbon fiber frames costs more than T700 carbon frames

I think you should know IP-066SL or FM069 SL frames costs much more than FM015 normal light frame, and IP-256 SL costs more than IP-057 as well.

I think everyone wants to get carbon frames in good quality, and best service before order and after.

DuraFace

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 04:24:22 AM »
Hi Peter
Where are you from, that you write "we never declare our frames t1000"... so this implicates you are part of them ;) ??

I very well figured that there is price differences.... I am willing to pay for of course. I don't care if it is declared as "Bratwurscht with Kraut" as long as it's T1000.  Reading more on the Cervelo Open 1.0, Cervelo claims that T1000 in all areas of the cycle is a disadvantage anyway...

So from guessing the FM069 is in reality a t1000?
The 256SL looks good to... I understand it is "only" t800.

What are those other big brands using? In my studies and readings, I came over an Official List of the European Union. This list has basically every cycle manufacturer on it. Because they import parts from china (we know the Piranello example right)...

So... other then BMC (I know they manufacture here in Switzerland) none of the official cool brands are t1000? Or t1000 but not from china?  or t1000 from china but declared differently?

What might be interesting for all of you: I met a dude in the train (with his cycle, so we began to talk).. he is doing paintbrushing... he explained to me, that he even does that for Pro Team people, that use parts from China and are more comfortable with them.  This was last year, and I wasn't even close to thinking about a chiner import....

brmeyer135

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:38:58 AM »
DuraFace - you may get a lot of your answers by reading through 'all' of this site and if you feel up to it all the links at:  http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php#classic-mountain-bike-forums
specifically this thread:  http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/chinese-carbon-29er-640919.html
It sounds like T1000 is not available from Chinese manufacturers..if Cervelo is using it...they aren't having the frame made in China I would surmise.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:31:36 PM »
Hi Peter
Where are you from, that you write "we never declare our frames t1000"... so this implicates you are part of them ;) ??

Peter represents Iplay:  http://www.xmiplay.com/

DuraFace

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 04:28:34 PM »
Hi all
Sitar - thx that closes the circle ;) 
Just for my understanding HongFu DengFu are reseller from fly or HZ Bikes.... where is XMI fitting in the game? they resell a differen 256/SL frame then e.g. HongFu?

brmeyer - thx as well. and thx you don't make me read 139 pages of thread. I like forums, but it seams I am overdosed a bit for the next decade reading threads...

So to conclude again:
T1000 is not available in China, other then military. The HongFu Screen shot is, let's call it swiss-diplomatic a "marketing" strategy for the better T800 with some unkown addons  that make it almost like t1000.

All that T1000 on Alibaba and Aliexpress: crääp.

Would that be correct?

Oolak

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 06:14:46 PM »
I think that's correct. Of course, this is all according to what Peter has stated on this forum. Not sure if it has been verified through other sources. Not that Peter isn't a good source of info.. It's just that all info should be 100% verified before we go collectively considering as fact. Usually, that's easier to do, but considering the language barrier makes it a bit more difficult to attain information. Just part of buying a chiner though  ;D

Also, I think that Iplay is actually one of the manufacturers rather than just a reseller, though I'm not 100% certain about that.

And yes, this forum is about a million times better than having to read through the endless mtbr threads!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:17:52 PM by Oolak »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »
And yes, this forum is about a million times better than having to read through the endless mtbr threads!

Thank you!  Also, thank you to Sitar_Ned for starting the forum, I am just a modest contributor.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:58:54 PM »
thank you to Sitar_Ned for starting the forum, I am just a modest contributor.

Says the guy with a higher post count than me  ;D