Author Topic: Velo Build R-099 Build  (Read 39590 times)

RDY

Re: Velo Build R-099 Build
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2022, 10:58:07 AM »
The Dolan Ares is a 099 frame with a different fork and seat post + UCI certification. Interesting how the bike industry works :)

Technically I'd guess it's a private Workswell mold.  I vaguely remember hearing Dolan used them before.

Irideslowly

« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2022, 11:20:17 AM »
How much more expensive are Workswell bikes?

Velovelo

« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2022, 04:03:08 PM »
Technically I'd guess it's a private Workswell mold.  I vaguely remember hearing Dolan used them before.

Ya, I just realized the Dolan Ares does look more identical to the Workswell WCB-R-268 frame. Interesting.

Velovelo

« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2022, 02:08:55 AM »
Ok, good news.  Chris has said that $350 from us is enough to start the zero offset mould.

We'll PP our $50 each and then they'll begin.

The following expressed interest in paying $50 each for the mould.  If you don't want to go ahead, please indicate now and we'll try to find others to fill your place. 

Me.
@J-S-Q
@Velovelo
@FHS
@zaphodbeeblebrox
@Bikeoiv
@BiciDomingo

When Chris gives me the PP address he wants to use, I'll post it here.  Reference will be "099 zero offset mould".   When you've made the payment, you can post a screengrab here of it - of course feel free to obscure personal details. 

I've also asked him to indicate what the final price for the seatpost will be.

Hi guys, has anyone received their seatpost yet or update?

poyo

« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2022, 02:03:55 PM »

Hi guys, has anyone received their seatpost yet or update?

I ordered one last week, Chris told me it would take about 10 days to ship.
But I expect it will take even longer.

BiciDomingo

« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2022, 02:47:31 PM »
I ordered one last week, Chris told me it would take about 10 days to ship.
But I expect it will take even longer.

Ordered it about 10 days ago. Did not arrive in the Netherlands yet.

RDY

« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2022, 10:41:34 AM »
Hoping to get mine next week.  Customs are a nightmare after a recent change which requires a broker here

RDY

« Reply #217 on: June 17, 2022, 05:08:15 PM »
Finally received it. 

Good points:

New zero offset post is very nicely finished (save for usual bits of mold baggie they were too lazy to fully remove and sprayed black) and much better looking than offset.

Came with all the cable port bungs etc.

Haven't measured it yet so could be wrong size, but to the naked eye the BB looks very round, has very uniform shell thickness, and concentricity looks good.  Given how many $5-6k framesets I've seen with very obviously borked BB shells (even to the naked eye) this is good. 

Inside of tubes mostly fairly clean and no obvious voids. Couple of minor wrinkles in BB area.  Head tube and seat tube (per BB) have consistent thickness in the cut area (again unlike some really crappy big name brands).  To the eye, flat mounts on fork and rear triangle look fine.

Paint job isn't great, but it's essentially free if you get something 'standard', and as good as can be reasonably expected.  Only one small scuff - which by their painter's recent record is a good outcome.

Edit - added - Integrated stem has no pinch points on the steerer as it's a carbon sleeve rather than heavily machined alu.

OK points:

Steerer is alright.  Not what I'd call the cleanest but no obvuous alarm bells.

Di2 port (which I don't actually need) is badly fitting.

Not ideal points:

They made the stem unnecessarily chunky and heavy for a carbon wrapped alu design (never heard of one failing). An option fot cable entry below the front plate would allow the use of bars without a hole in the clamping area.  As it is, you're limited to ones with a hole.

Edit - Mine didn't ship with the new c-ring (which I assume was meant to be for all  bikes with the new integrated stem).   The thing was so thick that I mistook it for the chunky spacers, and thought I didn't have one.

Still shipping with a front thru-axle that's 5mm too long - though I anticipated this and ordered a Heppe replacement from Ali.

Headset bearings are very poor quality and grainy and notchy even out of the bike.  But I was going to use FSA anyway.

Expander / plug is very short and not brilliant design, as many have commented on.  Using a long Colnago one.

Bad (terrible) points:

Whomever is doing the seat post clamp and headset bearing seats is definitely not the same person(s) doing the BB area finishing.   They are a total mess.

a) Gobs of resin and black paint spattered all over the place inside of the seat tube.  Attempt to chamfer inside  of top of seat tube looks like it was done with a power tool resulting in chips.  Molding / mandrel / whatever was clearly torn out of the ledge the seatpost assembly sits on too early, resulting in large ugly surface voids, which they failed to cover up with black paint.

b) The top headset bearing seat appears to be correctly sized, but is very, very badly finished.  Some bits of excess carbon sheet were never trimmed off.  Others are coming off (delaminating), again I suspect due to power tool use. Scratches and scores (again power tool) all over the place.  The bearing seat is unlikely to fail, especially as the head tube itself is fine, but it's inexcusably poor workmanship and totally unnecessary.  The bottom bearing seat on the other hand looks better but is VERY tight - I couldn't extricate it after test fitting - probably have to use needle nose pliers and damage it.  And I expect the LBS to have to sand the seat a little.

Conclusion of first impressions:

I think the girls and guys laying up the frame are for the most part doing a pretty good job (steerer could still be better).  And at least superficially things look better - at least much less dysfunctional - than a good number of bikes sold for 10x the price.  But either unskilled jobbers are being employed to do other areas - seat clamp / tube and headset bearing seats, or skilled workers are being pushed to spend no time or care on them whatsoever.  I expect it's a combination of both, together with a bit of carelessness, all compounded by the fact that Velobuild seem to deem this OK.  It leaves a bitter taste receiving something that shitty.  I don't expect it to be a safety or performance issue, though given enough time the top bearing seat could delaminate sufficiently to make it one.  But banning the use of power tools to  sand, chamfer or finish delicate areas, trimming out excess carbon sheet and patching it up with a little resin would ensure a frame that otherwise appears to be pretty good doesn't result in lost future customers.  If the cost and price need to go up $20, I guarantee there would be way more repeat customers.  Especially given that this is not a 'lemon' - Chris knew I'd post my experiences given that I organized the zero offset funder here.  Others will have had it much worse.

TLDR they did all the hard work and avoided the usual pitfalls, but some really bad workmanship leaves a bad taste, and would probably make some customers too afraid to even ride it, as they may not appreciate what exactly they are looking at. 

Build should be fairly soon.  Hopefully no additional surprises. At the painter having neon pink splatter on black parts and final clear done.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 11:23:22 AM by RDY »

patliean1

« Reply #218 on: June 17, 2022, 06:30:59 PM »
Yikes, the seat post clamp and headset bearing seats in those photos are just total...nvm I've already ranted enough one day.

FHS

« Reply #219 on: June 17, 2022, 07:22:06 PM »
Man, I was kicking myself a bit because I ended up spending more money on the TanTan x-21. The difference in build quality are huge though, it this is any indication.

RDY

« Reply #220 on: June 17, 2022, 07:44:32 PM »
Man, I was kicking myself a bit because I ended up spending more money on the TanTan x-21. The difference in build quality are huge though, it this is any indication.

Toss up I'd say.  I've seen a TanTan with what looked like a cookie cutter for a headtube (massive variations in thickness), and terrible BB shell.  The 'build quality' on this on the whole seems good ... but the finishing of interfaces at seat and head tube are awful.  The difference in finishing between the BB area and head and seat tubes are so massive it wouldn't surprise me if the BB was done at the factory, and to save money the latter were done ex-situ at some shitty workshop**.

** As far as I know this was relatively common with some of the cheapest stuff in the early days of open mold.  But didn't think it was still a thing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:53:01 PM by RDY »

Velovelo

« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2022, 09:01:13 PM »
So painful to see this kind of finishing. Given that the 099 is my most preferred frame of all velobuild's offerings. Sorry Man!
The seatpost however looks really well done. Waiting to receive mine.
Love the frame color you went with. Clean!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 09:07:09 PM by Velovelo »

RDY

« Reply #222 on: June 23, 2022, 04:38:50 AM »
To those using ACR headsets on either the 099 or other similar VBs, did you use the VB fork crown race, or the FSA one?

Both seem a bit sharp.  Is adding a single layer of fiberglass tape to the steerer to stop them digging in going to interfere with bearing clearance, or should be fine?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:52:04 PM by RDY »

FHS

« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2022, 02:06:16 PM »
To those using ACR headsets on either the 099 or other similar VBs, did you use the VB fork crown race, or the FSA one?

Both seem a bit sharp.  Is adding a single layer of fiberglass tape to the steerer to stop them digging in going to interfere with bearing clearance, or should be fine?

I tried them both, didn't notice much functional difference. I stuck with the stock crown race mostly because it's the same color as the frame.

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2022, 06:24:41 PM »
Finally managed to get rid of all my headset play! Rode about 400km with the play, it was only noticeable when lifting up the frame near the headtube. Tiny 1 or 2mm of movement. I still have the original velobuild c-clip which was always too short. I had a mountain bike bottom bracket spacer in there a temporary fix and it worked ok. Replaced it with some microspacers from FSA.

Ended up using a full pack of these https://www.theinsideline.ca/fsa-micrspacer-headset-spacer-025mm-bag-f-10.html I just snipped a couple mm of each out so I could bend them onto the steerer tube.
I also picked up an extra-large compression plug: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B083G48R5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Then I also switched up my technique. Instead of using the bike stand I had it on the trainer so the front wheel was on the ground. This made it much easier to squish everything down and make sure it was solid while tightening the compression plug. I also cut a slit into the crown race when I first built up the bike because I didn't have the proper tool to bang it down onto the steerer. That might have been the cause of my issues, the bottom bearing wasn't interfacing correctly because the race wasn't all the way on. Either way it's great now. There's a 1mm or less gap between the headtube and bottom headset spacer thing. The bike feels so much better too, no more sketchy front movement under braking or going over bumps.

Of course I also ordered the fsa acr headset, which still hasn't shown up but I guess I'll have a spare couple bearings.

I also haven't received my straight seat post and new c-clip yet. Ordered it at the end of May-ish, so maybe they'll be here soon? Next on my list is to replace the vb handlebars with ones that fit me a bit better, and replace the cheap brake housing with compressionless.