Author Topic: Ican S3 XC Frame  (Read 30786 times)

neilether

Re: Ican S3 XC Frame
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2021, 02:31:12 PM »
I'm jumping on the bandwagon!  It was a difficult choice between this and the Carbonda FM936, but have decided to go this route.  I'm really looking forward to getting it built up. 

Quick question.  When I landed on the iCan website from my phone the other day, a 5% off coupon code popped up.  It indicated that it would be emailed to be, but I have not seen it (even in my spam folder).  Does anybody happen to know what this code is?

Figured it out.  The coupon code is "ORDERBONUS"

neilether

« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2021, 04:39:40 PM »
For those that have built this frame up, which fork offset did you use?  I have ordered the frame and am just impatiently waiting for it to arrive.  In the meantime, I'm piecing together my build.  This was one of the fundamental questions I have on the build, is the fork offset. 

I'm looking for a 34mm stanchion fork with 120mm travel.

Roblyman

« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2021, 07:30:59 AM »
I ordered my frame with custom paint. I made final arrangements for color/size, etc.. on July 20, 2021 an the frame arrived on October 10, 2021. I guess that is just shy of 3 months.

Right now I am waiting on my front wheel to be re-laced. I have had a set of Carbonfan assym wheels for about three years. My old bike and fork were QR. Turns out the old front DT Swiss QR hub could not be upgraded to boost, but the rear could. It all started with a 1 1/8" Reba Air fork that I needed(wanted) to upgrade. So I went with a SID SL Select 100mm tapered in boost. This lead to my wheel being re-hubbed and spoked ; DT Swiss 350 Boost and DT Swiss aero spokes to replace the DT Swiss 350 QR and Pillar Aero XTRA spokes. I also swapped out the Monarch rear shock with a SIDLux.

The XT IceTech brakes are coming off the old bike, as are the 11 speed rear shifter, XT bottom bracket and XT crank,  Maxxis Dissector tires, etc.. I haven't decided if I will add a dropper post and remote. I am thinking about the OneUp V2.

Someone asked about fork offset: Mine is a RockShox SID SL Select 29in Boost Fork Diffusion Black, 100mm, 44 Offset. The bike isn't finished, so I can't comment on whether the offset is appropriate or not for my riding.

Ben78

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »
For those that have built this frame up, which fork offset did you use?  I have ordered the frame and am just impatiently waiting for it to arrive.  In the meantime, I'm piecing together my build.  This was one of the fundamental questions I have on the build, is the fork offset. 

I'm looking for a 34mm stanchion fork with 120mm travel.

I currently have a 51mm Revelation but my bike shop is getting me a 44mm Fox 34 Step Cast if they ever come back into stock. The frame must be designed for shorter offset as my wheelbase is longer than spec with the revelation.

Ben78

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2021, 02:11:16 PM »
The XT IceTech brakes are coming off the old bike, as are the 11 speed rear shifter, XT bottom bracket and XT crank,  Maxxis Dissector tires, etc.. I haven't decided if I will add a dropper post and remote. I am thinking about the OneUp V2.

Interesting choice of tyres. Ican claim 29er to 2.35" so will be interested to see how you go with a 2.4 in there. 27.5x2.4 dissector certainly fits easily though.

*edit* Just thought I'd add, I have the OneUP 180mm dropper in my large frame, and don't have it fully inserted. I am 6'/182cm I think I could have got away with the 210 version! Although the 180 is almost comical in how much it goes up and down! I originally had a Bontrager 150mm and the max insertion length on it was the same as the OneUp.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 02:23:15 PM by Ben78 »

neilether

« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »
Interesting choice of tyres. Ican claim 29er to 2.35" so will be interested to see how you go with a 2.4 in there. 27.5x2.4 dissector certainly fits easily though....

I was really worried about tire clearance on this frame and I almost went a different direction because of it.  However, I'm glad I pulled the trigger.  Below are a couple of pictures showing the tire clearance with a 29" rim with a 35mm inner width with a 2.5 maxxis aggressor mounted.  This is the wheel from my all mountain bike just to see if it would work.  I held my breath and was VERY pleased to see the result.

FYI, from the time I placed the order to when it arrived at my house was 15 days!  I thought I would have months to put the build together.  Not so.   :)

turmukhambetov

« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2021, 09:18:41 PM »
Hi all! Has anyone had issues with this frame's bottom bracket? Everyone says avoid BSA BBs as they may detach from the frame...

Ben78

« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2021, 02:34:28 PM »
Hi all! Has anyone had issues with this frame's bottom bracket? Everyone says avoid BSA BBs as they may detach from the frame...

Only issue I had was the threads were a little galled and had to be cleaned first. No issue with separation and I ride it pretty hard.

needanxcframe

« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2021, 10:04:08 PM »
Can anybody share a picture of the dropper cable routing? Thanks!

the.Capt

« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2021, 12:16:12 AM »
How is everyone finding the sizing of this frame?

I've got a medium Ripmo AF with 458mm Reach. I'm 5' 8.5" and find the bike to fit good if a touch long.  A large Ripmo has a 475mm reach and would be too big for sure. 

This S3 medium at 475 reach seems like it will be too big.  But a small frame seems strange to me.

Anyone else dealt with this new sizing and had to size down?

Thank you.

Ben78

« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2021, 01:36:23 PM »
How is everyone finding the sizing of this frame?

I've got a medium Ripmo AF with 458mm Reach. I'm 5' 8.5" and find the bike to fit good if a touch long.  A large Ripmo has a 475mm reach and would be too big for sure. 

This S3 medium at 475 reach seems like it will be too big.  But a small frame seems strange to me.

Anyone else dealt with this new sizing and had to size down?

Thank you.

Keep in mind that reach is independent of seat angle, so this frame with a 1° steeper seat tube has a shorter perceived reach. If your seat top is 600mm above the bottom bracket 1° steeper makes it 10mm more forward, so comparing with your Ripmo the perceived reach of the S3 would be more like 465, there are other factors at play too, because reach is not measured on the rotational centre of the bike, rather off the bottom bracket, if you put a 120mm fork on your S3 the result is an effective shortening of the reach from stock. Say this was another few mm and we are now at something like 462mm perceived reach - not all that different to the 458 Ripmo (which incidentally is a 160mm bike, so at 30% sag sits 48mm lower at the front compared to a 120mm bike which sits 40mm lower, further acting to close the reach gap).

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is it is a lot more complicated than just comparing a single figure on geometry to arrive at a conclusion, especially when the two bikes are aimed at different styles (for example, take a look at the reach numbers on dual crown downhill bikes!) A really great website to compare geometry is 99 Spokes - https://99spokes.com/en-AU/compare?bikes=vitus-rapide-fs-cr-mountain-2021;*z.MD|w.29,ibis-ripmo-af-slx-2021;*z.MD|w.29 this link compares the Ripmo with the Vitus Rapide FS which is a Vitus branded FM936 which is the same geo as the Ican S3 It makes it pretty easy to see what the differences are.

Ben78

« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2021, 01:39:26 PM »
Can anybody share a picture of the dropper cable routing? Thanks!

Dropper routing is all internal

the.Capt

« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2021, 01:03:50 AM »
Thank you Ben.  After further analysis, the medium does indeed look like the best fit.

Now to decide between this and the FM 909. Looking for AS and leverage numbers on that one.

Bammu

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2022, 06:25:03 AM »
Greetings from Finland!

I received my Ican S3 frame yesterday. My experiences of full suspension bikes are from my current bike Rose Thrill Hill (2014) and previous Specialized Epic (2011)
The Ican S3 frame geometry looked like a solution for one of my problems, the lack of confidence in steep downhill sections.

My frame is size M. I am 174 cm short and my leg inner length is 82 cm. For size selection I used the size charts from Vitus and NS Bikes.
Compared to Rose Thrill hill, the reach is 54 mm longer, but on Thrill hill I use 100 mm stem.

I disassembled the frame and the overall quality is better than I expected. It even looks and feels better than Thrill Hill frame. 
Bearings are smooth and packed with grease and linkage accessories seem to be mostly good quality (Shock mount top bolts feel soft)
Frame is factory black, but my plan is to paint the bike later.

Planned components:

Fork: Manitou R7 PRO 120mm ( Adjustable 100-120mm )
Shock: Manitou Mara ( If it will available before summer )
Wheels: DT Swiss 350 hubs (new model) and 25mm Zi25SL Slowbuild rims.
Tyres: Vittoria Mezcal ( 2.2 at back and 2.35 at front )
Groupset: Shimano XT M8100 12 speed
Seatpost: DT Swiss 232
Pedals: Shimano XT PD-M8100 SPD
Brakes: Formula Cura
Handlebar: Level Nine Pro Team carbon, 760mm
Stem: Level nine, 40-60mm
Grips: SRAM foam locking grips

Photos attached and I will keep you posted of the build progress.

chetosmachine

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2022, 06:34:10 AM »

That sound really like the people that say don't buy chinese frames as they will break the moment you get on it.....