Author Topic: 256SL Sourcing  (Read 6857 times)

blueducati

256SL Sourcing
« on: October 17, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »
Hey everyone! I'm new here, I found this site when looking around for information on building my first MTB. I'm looking at a 256SL and I can't wait to get started. It looks like everyone has recommended working with Peter at iPlay. I sent him an email yesterday afternoon... how long does he typically take to get back to you with a quote? Did you guys contact him via his email on the iPlay website, or did you contact him through alibaba or something like that?

Thanks for the help!
Steve

MTB2223

Re: 256SL Sourcing
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:30:59 AM »
Hi Steve,

most of the time Peter response within 12 hours. But he's also a busy guy, so, please be patient, he will answer.
I contacted him always by email.

Do you already have a build list ?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:58:11 AM »
Also don't forget, when you sent him an email yesterday afternoon it was already after midnight in China.  Most responses from iPlay are next day for those of us in the US, but there are times I've caught Peter and had an extensive real-time email conversation.

Just have a little patience, I bet they are getting hundreds of emails each day.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

blueducati

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:17:10 AM »
Thanks guys! Yeah, I realize he's probably really busy, I just wanted to make sure I contacted him the right way. I saw that Alibaba link and wasn't sure if that was how all you guys contacted him.

I'm just now starting to put a build list together. I'm a roadie, and this will be my first MTB, so I'm just getting started learning all the components, trying to make smart decisions. I run SRAM on my road bike, so I'll probably lean that way. The big unknown is the fork, I have no idea where to start with that. But I've built 2 road bikes and a TT bike, so I have a pretty good idea of how everything goes together.

This seems like a great forum though, I'm glad I found it. I've already learned so much just reading through these threads!

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 08:24:50 AM »
Welcome, Steve..

What's your budget for the fork? It'll be pretty easy for us to recommend a fork for you once we know that. Also, keep in mind that if budget is tight it's always an option to order a rigid carbon fork for fairly cheap with your frame, and then upgrade later on. The rigid, of course, has the advantage of saving quite a bit of weight.

blueducati

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 08:32:46 AM »
Thanks for the welcome. You know, I really don't even know what my fork budget is right now. I literally decided yesterday afternoon that I wanted a MTB and emailed Peter, so I'm still trying to figure stuff out. I plan on spending a good part of my day at work putting together a build list, looking at other build lists on the site, etc... Is it fair to assume that if there's one thing I want to buy new (besides wear items like rings, cassette, chain, etc...), it should be the fork? I don't know much about servicing a fork, or how to tell if a used fork is in good condition.

blueducati

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »
So you guys weren't lying, Peter emailed me back just a little bit ago!  ;D

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:47:04 AM »
Is it fair to assume that if there's one thing I want to buy new (besides wear items like rings, cassette, chain, etc...), it should be the fork?

Not necessarily. One of the better options, is to find a slightly used Reba on Ebay, imo. Just depends on your time frame, and how patient you are.

That said.. Here's the fork I have on sale for a really good price if you want 120mm and lots of guys have gone with a 120mm travel for these frames (I have the 80mm version but only bc it was all that was left in stock the last time these forks went on sale - would've preferred 100-120mm): http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Manitou/Manitou-Tower-Pro-29er-Fork.axd

Imo, it's hard to do much better than that for $300
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:07:39 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 09:13:26 AM »
Now that I think about it... I'm not sure if a 120mm fork is suitable for the 256 or not.. I know it works fine for the 057. I'm pretty sure it's fine, but I'd wait to get some confirmation about that first.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »
I would think that 120mm would be alright for the IP-256, but that would be the max travel I would do on a hardtail.

$300 is a really good deal on a decent fork.  Anything else will be nearly double that price.  If you are a SRAM fan, you might lean toward Rockshox since they are the same company.  I have a a Rockshox Reba Dual Air on my IP-057 and really like it although it's not sold anymore.  As for a used fork, my biggest issue would be knowing the cut length of the steer tube is long enough for your bike, not to mention when I was shopping around on eBay, I really couldn't find a decent deal on a used fork.  New ones were selling maybe $200 more, and that is not enough of a difference for me to take the risk on a used bike component.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 10:34:55 AM »
I would think that 120mm would be alright for the IP-256, but that would be the max travel I would do on a hardtail.

$300 is a really good deal on a decent fork.  Anything else will be nearly double that price.  If you are a SRAM fan, you might lean toward Rockshox since they are the same company.  I have a a Rockshox Reba Dual Air on my IP-057 and really like it although it's not sold anymore.  As for a used fork, my biggest issue would be knowing the cut length of the steer tube is long enough for your bike, not to mention when I was shopping around on eBay, I really couldn't find a decent deal on a used fork.  New ones were selling maybe $200 more, and that is not enough of a difference for me to take the risk on a used bike component.

Good points. Definitely do your homework. Like I said, just depends on how patient he is and what deals may happen to pop up. $200 is quite a bit of savings though.. 40% savings, maybe a little less.. That's a set of carbon rims.

If 120mm is fine for the 256, I think the fork I linked to is a no brainer.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 10:38:24 AM by Sitar_Ned »

blueducati

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 10:41:31 AM »
Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm in no hurry to get everything built, I'd rather save money and take my time. I actually enjoy looking for parts & finding deals on ebay.

I just placed my order with Peter for a 17.5 256SL, should be 25-30 days!  8)

Again, thanks for the advice, I will definitely need it!

MTB2223

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
I actually enjoy looking for parts & finding deals on ebay.
It's even more fun to look on AliExpress :) for example search on "brake rotor" or "handlebar".

blueducati

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 12:26:51 PM »
Starting to make my way through the build list here, I'm going to try and do stuff a little different than most people. As far as brakes go, I understand Shimano XT/XTR is the benchmark, but I'm trying to avoid Shimano on my bike. Has anyone had any experience with Magura? Specifically, the MT5 or 6? It looks likey they come standard on one of the Open bikes. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 12:53:08 PM by 7ducati »

carbonazza

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
7ducati, I preferred something else than Shimano too.
And went for these http://www.hopetech.com/product/race-e4/ instead

With a front 183mm rotor in front, and a rear 160mm

May be the 4 pistons are overkill for an XC bike, but they are very light.
They provide plenty of stopping power while needed, and are very modulable.

And since I messed up while mounting them, I know they are very easy to bleed.