Author Topic: LTWOO RX hydro sets  (Read 38598 times)

cestmoi

Re: LTWOO RX hydro sets
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2023, 02:44:47 AM »
This is the way. To corroborate, I was struggling with MTB style brakes for quite some time. Started with super budget Tektros, then to TRP Slate and finally to Shimano XT. After bleeding each of these for may be 6-7 times back to back, I couldn’t get the bite that I wanted. Just mushy mess. And then finally this tutorial helped - a technique called bubble bleed:

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/tech-spotlight-5-minute-bubble-bleed-2014.html

5 minutes and voila, my brakes feel so good. Don’t forget to take the lever off of handlebar and tap them with a rubber mallet. And of course the bleed port at the highest position possible. Then rotate the lever without spilling the oil (if there is oil in the cup). This was the only way I could get that last holdout air from the reservoir. When it worked I almost felt silly.

My usual go-to, but for me anyway this worked ok on the front but no joy on the rear.

Has anyone any idea what the 'air' port is used for as yet?

00Garza

« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2023, 07:03:25 AM »
I sent videos of my GR9 group with Ltwoo shifter vs a shimano shifter to both 80 Designer Store (who I bought from) and Ltwoo official store on Ali. Ltwoo seemed really interested in making sure vendors provide after sales support.

After watching the videos they concluded it is a bad shifter and will be sending me a new one. I just cover the $10 shipping fee. I’m ok with that. I’ve had stateside warranties that were worse.

I guess I’ll just have to ride my mtb til the new shifter gets here.

coffeebreak

« Reply #137 on: April 14, 2023, 10:46:32 AM »
Ltwoo seemed really interested in making sure vendors provide after sales support.
After watching the videos they concluded it is a bad shifter and will be sending me a new one. I just cover the $10 shipping fee. I’m ok with that. I’ve had stateside warranties that were worse.

Good to know the company making efforts on warranty which traditionally has been assumed as non existent for goods from China. Glad it is working out.

cestmoi

« Reply #138 on: April 14, 2023, 12:09:37 PM »
Good to know the company making efforts on warranty which traditionally has been assumed as non existent for goods from China. Glad it is working out.

Good news.

carbonazza

« Reply #139 on: April 15, 2023, 05:04:30 PM »
Finally got the 1x11 GR9 installed, but I think I have a faulty shifter. Can’t get the indexing right and it seems to miss shifts.

If you detach the cable from the derailleur, give some tension with your hand on the cable, and try to shift.
Is the cable moving freely in both directions(shift/unshift) ?

00Garza

« Reply #140 on: April 15, 2023, 08:51:23 PM »
If you detach the cable from the derailleur, give some tension with your hand on the cable, and try to shift.
Is the cable moving freely in both directions(shift/unshift) ?

Can’t tell you. Bike is at the shop. Mechanic was pretty thorough in trouble shooting. Do you have a theory on what could be wrong with it?

jonathanf2

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2023, 11:08:06 AM »
More variations of hydraulic LTwoo groupsets are starting to drop on AliExpress. Now there's GR7 1x10 hydraulics now available.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805279623183.html

Though you can get GRX 400 shifters/calipers for not much more:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805058833940.html

I really need a better side hobby instead of surfing AliExpress late at night! Lol

Sebastian

« Reply #142 on: April 19, 2023, 01:06:43 AM »
Has anyone tried combining LTWOO Brifters with a GRX rear derailleur? Since the cable pull seems to be compatible. Could an 11sp GRX RD even be used to shift a 12sp cassette with LTWOO?
That’d be nice. I’m looking to build up a gravel bike for my girlfriend. I’m eyeing LTWOO for the build. But not convinced of it’s reliability and shifting quality.

jonathanf2

« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2023, 09:36:34 AM »
Has anyone tried combining LTWOO Brifters with a GRX rear derailleur? Since the cable pull seems to be compatible. Could an 11sp GRX RD even be used to shift a 12sp cassette with LTWOO?
That’d be nice. I’m looking to build up a gravel bike for my girlfriend. I’m eyeing LTWOO for the build. But not convinced of it’s reliability and shifting quality.

It should work. I was able to get mechanical GR9 shifters to work with a GRX400 RD. I'm in the process of setting up my R9 alloy hydraulic shifters paired with my 105 and Ultegra RD/FD, I should be done today and I can report back how they work.

jonathanf2

« Reply #144 on: April 26, 2023, 09:30:58 AM »
It should work. I was able to get mechanical GR9 shifters to work with a GRX400 RD. I'm in the process of setting up my R9 alloy hydraulic shifters paired with my 105 and Ultegra RD/FD, I should be done today and I can report back how they work.

I just confirmed that the 2x11 hydro R9 shifters index perfectly with my Shimano 105 RD. I was about to setup the FD as well, but I hit a snag on my build. My barb tool broke partway while setting up my left hydraulic shifter and the hammering method doesn't seem to work. I have another tool on the way so I can finish the build.

One more side note, the alloy levers overall are nice, but the fact LTwoo is using a plastic downshift lever is probably the biggest weakness of the design. I've dialed down the shift tension and the plastic seems sturdy enough, but compared to my GRX 400 shifters on my gravel bike it is mostly metal with only plastic on the paddle. In fact if Sensah releases hydraulic versions of their shifters, I'd probably go that direction instead. Less parts to worry about.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 11:38:07 AM by jonathanf2 »

hahel

« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2023, 04:35:20 AM »
A crankset is always in two pieces anyway.
On others cranksets, on the junction between the crank arm and the spindle gets an orthogonal and heavy load, while here the arms and half spindles are one piece.
Which in theory ends stiffer, if we can ever feel it with our tiny hundreds watts capable legs  :D

No rules without exceptions  :D
Look makes a onepice crank https://www.lookcycle.com/se-en/products/components/zed-2 and many/all? of the "Old school" forged steel cranks were one piece.
But most of the stuff we kan buy today is probably split in at least two pieces.

Edit
*Hmm, bad case of thread digging on my side  :-[
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 06:36:18 AM by hahel »

Sebastian

« Reply #146 on: April 28, 2023, 12:45:28 PM »
First LTWOO ERX groupsets showing up on Aliexpress:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyfCQqf

At least from my location.
705 EUR for brifters, derailleurs and calipers is not competitive IMO.
At least in Germany, 105 Di2 can be had heavily discounted. Probably because of the overall crisis in the bike industry ATM.
For 500 more you get Di2 including cranks, cassette, chain and rotors.
If I need to add all that in similar quality to LTWOO ERX it’s still going to be cheaper, but the difference will probably be max 300 EUR.
I’d probably give it a pass.

00Garza

« Reply #147 on: April 28, 2023, 04:44:49 PM »
First LTWOO ERX groupsets showing up on Aliexpress:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EyfCQqf

At least from my location.
705 EUR for brifters, derailleurs and calipers is not competitive IMO.
At least in Germany, 105 Di2 can be had heavily discounted. Probably because of the overall crisis in the bike industry ATM.
For 500 more you get Di2 including cranks, cassette, chain and rotors.
If I need to add all that in similar quality to LTWOO ERX it’s still going to be cheaper, but the difference will probably be max 300 EUR.
I’d probably give it a pass.

I imagine the price will drop over time. Just like it did with the hydro groups.
When Sensah release their hydro/electronic groups I think we’ll see prices drop dramatically.

jonathanf2

« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2023, 08:07:11 AM »
I just confirmed that the 2x11 hydro R9 shifters index perfectly with my Shimano 105 RD. I was about to setup the FD as well, but I hit a snag on my build. My barb tool broke partway while setting up my left hydraulic shifter and the hammering method doesn't seem to work. I have another tool on the way so I can finish the build.

One more side note, the alloy levers overall are nice, but the fact LTwoo is using a plastic downshift lever is probably the biggest weakness of the design. I've dialed down the shift tension and the plastic seems sturdy enough, but compared to my GRX 400 shifters on my gravel bike it is mostly metal with only plastic on the paddle. In fact if Sensah releases hydraulic versions of their shifters, I'd probably go that direction instead. Less parts to worry about.

I've decided to scrap using the LTwoo hydraulic R9 shifters on my road bike. I hit quite a few issues that have me writing-off ever using Ltwoo shifters again. First the clamping bolt on the levers is extremely hard to access and is very finicky on lever placement. Also the left shifter for me was giving me weak lever pull, causing me all sorts of problems on FD adjustment. It probably was due to my internal cable routing on my drop bars, but that wasn't an issue on my 105 shifters. Overall LTwoo engineering seem annoyingly convoluted on multiple fronts.

I just ended up taking everything apart. I'll probably salvage the shifters and use them on my gravel bike and use them in 1x configuration instead.

Eddy_Twerckx

« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2023, 11:00:52 AM »
Do the LTWOO hydro shifters work with Shimano calipers? Would make “upgrading” a little simpler for the electronic set. They could sell just the necessary electronic bits (shifters, derailleurs, battery) and use the rest (cranks, calipers, chain) from your existing group.