Author Topic: IP-036 29er Full Suspension Carbon Frame Build  (Read 130015 times)

Carbon_Dude

Re: IP-036 29er Full Suspension Carbon Frame Build
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:37 AM »
I don't think there is any blue color on the Scott Twin-Loc lever bolt, just a reflection possibly.

The letters on the Fox lever are "C-T-D" which stands for Climb-Trail-Descend.  It's their three position suspension they've had for a few years now.  The Trail mode is really good in that there is very shock movement from pedaling but the suspension is fairly active in response to the terrain.  The nice thing about either the Fox or the Scott levers is you are able to select the Trail mode when the lever is moved in either direction, when coming out of D-mode or when coming out of C-mode.  Something my shorty lever does not do, when coming out C-mode, the black button release the lever fully to D-mode, no option to catch T-mode on the release.

The next innovation is already here, it's electronic control, either automatic or wireless control from the bar.  Rockshox and Fox are already showing maybe even selling their e-suspension options.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
The Trail mode is really good in that there is very shock movement from pedaling but the suspension is fairly active in response to the terrain.

As you may be able to infer from my name. I'm more of a set it and forget it kinda guy. I'm also on a budget. I also don't want to settle if I do pop for a nice full squish. If you only had Trail mode do you think you'd still be content with the ride of your IP-036? I ask because, as you know, if you want to save money on the shock, you lose all those fancy options. That said, depending on your bike's suspension, it may be possible to have a fully capable bike with a more simplified shock set up.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 03:55:24 PM »
Trail mode on the Fox shock is great, it has a moderate amount of compliance but you can feel how much less movement you get when pedaling compared to the Decsent mode.  Of great interest to you, Rigid, is the non-remote Fox CTD shock also has additional settings for the trail mode allowing you to tune that mode even further.  That works for people like you who like to set it and forget it.

The remotes are nice but not necessary, many $8,000 FS carbon bikes don't have remote lockouts.  For me it's just something that I liked when I rode the Scott Spark so I decided to put it on my IP-036.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »
So the non remote Fox CTD shock lets you have a trail mode that is fine tunable? You say you can feel much less movement between settings so we're not talking about subtle changes in suspension here but completely and drastically different functioning suspensions via the flip of a tiny lever?

Sorry, I've never messed with any of these newer shocks. Had a plain old fox float back in the day when they first started coming out with propedal and all that.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
The change from full open to Trail is moderate, the rear shock tightens up a bit and there is much less movement from pedaling.  I'm not able to explain it any more than that, you will need to ride a bike with a CTD rear shock to see it for yourself.  I think it works pretty well.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »
It seems it takes away the infinite adjustability of most air shocks - which is actually where one sets it to their taste but the Fox  gives you, like, a half way point also vs., again, most are where you set them and locked out.....2 settings vs. 3(Fox CTD)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:59 PM »
Okay, I last week I ordered the Scott Twin-Loc lever from my LBS.  Finally came in and got it installed and yes the center part is light blue anodized aluminum. I think it looks so much better!  It operates so much better than the Fox Remote Lever w/ cable splitter.  That Fox lever really needed to go.  The Twin-Loc is a much better solution for a dual lockout system.

The bike computer will be moved once I get a mount that fits my 31.6mm bar.  Notice the location of the lever next to the hand grip.  I originally had the lever inboard of the brake lever (towards the stem), but had difficulty reaching the Twin-Lock lever.  Now I changed things around the move the brake lever (on both sides to match) inboard.  Works much better now that it's easy to reach and my brake levers are just long enough to easily reach with one finger.  Something else I noticed, on the right side, moving my XX1 shifter next to the grip also made a big difference, now I can push the shifter through a greater range and upshift more gears, maybe even a bit faster.

So, here is a new lesson I learned, when you assemble your bike, determine if you want the brake lever or the shift lever(s) next to your grip.  I'm sure people will like one way better than the other.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 02:38:24 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Andy

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2014, 05:29:26 AM »
Good stuff CD!  Do yu have a pic of your new set up on your shifter side of the bars?  Thanks,
Anj. :)

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
I thought that thing looked light blue.. How awesome is that coincidence? It was meant to be! Def looks tons better but function over form and it sounds like you're finally able to appreciate the full function of your suspension.

Awesome job on this bike, man.. It is quite literally one of my favorites of all the bikes I've stared at pointlessly for the past 6 months. 

As for the brake lever position.. With the Shimano, about 3/4 of an inch away from the grip puts the lever at the perfect one finger pull position for me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:52:55 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2014, 02:50:08 PM »
Thanks Andy & SN, just got back from another 10mi loop, this time I also played with a new iOS app called BikeBrain during my ride, I will create another thread about it, but it's pretty cool.

The suspension worked flawlessly today.  I'm now starting to like the new IP-036 as much as the IP-057 now that I've gotten things sorted out.  Bike computer says I have just over a 100 miles on the bike now.  The suspension is just smoothing out the roots and rocks on the single track trails so nicely that I'm starting to think I may start to prefer it over the hard tail.  Oops, what did I just say?

I'm getting comments and questions about the bike every time I bring it out on the trail.  Today I ran across a guy who was asking about my XX1 setup, he was converting his Santa Cruz hardtail to 1x10, he just installed a Wolfstooth 36T chain ring, which I'm thinking could be too much gear for the climbs we have but hey, he will build up his legs.

A little warm here in GA today, not terrible though, had a great ride.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2014, 12:52:24 AM »
I have to agree, extremely nice bike ya got there.

Until reading this thread I honestly was mostly unfamiliar the dual control suspension options that are available. It's all pretty interesting, really and makes me question what exactly it is that I NEED in my bike build. All part of the fun, I suppose.

Good to see that you figured out that the Scott lever was so superior looks like it improved the ergonomics a ton. And yeah.. the baby blue bits are nice too. Got lucky there it seems lol.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:54:03 AM by Rigid_Bloke »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2014, 10:35:37 AM »
I've added a Dia-Compe Flexi cable housing for improved routing of the rear shock remote.  It works well and looks, slightly better than what I had.

If you look back through this thread, I started with a hard S-bend, which was the shortest routing but also added a bit of stiffness to the cable actuation.  I've seen a few other people do it this way, it's not bad but not ideal:

Second, I tried changing the direction of pull for the rear shock, then looping the cable around with a tie wrap on the frame.  Better but was not crazy about the big loop and the tie wrap.

A forum member suggested I consider trying a flexible cable housing so I found one on eBay for around $8, how could I go wrong?  Took a few weeks to receive from Taiwan and it sat in my garage for a few more weeks until I finally got around to installing it.  It's pretty good, cable actuation is smooth, the loop of cable is way more compact than before, and no tie wrap is needed.  So, while still not ideal which is nearly impossible given where the cable exits the frame, I think it's pretty good.  I also added a piece of clear plastic protection film between the shock and the cable housing to avoid any chaffing.

Here is the link to the flexible cable housing:
http://www.diacompe.com.tw/product_View.asp?nid=875
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

jocu3

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »
Thanks for this great thread! It was my inspiration what lead me to order ip 036 frame from Peter/xmiplay. Frame should have shipped yesterday. I think I start building in three weeks time.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2014, 12:41:36 PM »
You are welcome.

I was able to get rid of my creaking issue by lubricating the pivots at the top tube and seat stays with some everyday liquid teflon lubricant.

I also replaced my grips with some Ritchey WCS True foam grips, so far they are my favorite grips.

Got about 300 miles on the bike now and she is so much fun to ride.  Next change will probably be a new set of tires, probably not right away but after the ones I have wear out I plan on going with another set of Geax Sagauro tires like I have on my IP-057.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

ChanceG

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »
Can someone answer this question for me, this will be my first build and need some clearification. If I order the 036 frame with BB30, will a crankset with a Q factor of 156 work in this configuration?