Author Topic: IP-036 29er Full Suspension Carbon Frame Build  (Read 129773 times)

gbgigli

Re: IP-036 29er Full Suspension Carbon Frame Build
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2015, 07:28:04 PM »
yes mine were 8mm. Those dtswiss bearings are a bit different than the RWC so I am not sure. Right 2x22.2 and one shim possibly.

Thanks again!
From what i was reading those on RWC are kind of a new deal for Shox. They are replacing the DU Bushings with Needle Bearing wich according to then is wayyy better! The link i post was from DU Bushings style.

Im really thinking in ordering one of those IP-036... i was about to buy a Niner Jet 9... but even on sale the price is more then double!

Andy

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »

Im really thinking in ordering one of those IP-036... i was about to buy a Niner Jet 9... but even on sale the price is more then double!
[/quote]

Do it!  You won't regret it!  I've had mine for 6 months and absolutely freakin' love it.  I've had lots of mtn bikes in the past and this one blows them all away!
IP036
LTK023

Polo7

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2015, 12:52:40 PM »
Hello CD.

Let me first say that is a sweet bike you built. I have a 2014 Scott Genius 930 29er stock. Only went 1x10 from triple by putting a single chainring up front.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Scott/Genius-930,13390#product-specs

Can I buy this frame and transfer every single component I have on my Scott to this frame?

The first question mark is the rear shock. It's a 130 mm. Can that shock be altered so that it turns to a 110-120 mm?

Is there anything else I am overlooking?

Primary goal for the swap is weight savings.

Are you still happy with the frame, would you do this change?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:09:05 PM by Polo7 »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »
Hi Polo, I sent you this in a PM but for the benefit of others I will post my response here as well.  Maybe someone else can chime and and provide some info on reusing your BB92 cranks in a BSA or BB30 frame.  That's something I don't know about.

Swapping your Scott Genius 930 frame to an IP/CS-036 frame like have, we can look at the possibility of reuse component by component:

Fox Nude Shock - You will need a shock that is 6.5" x 1.5" (or 165mm x 38mm).  Your Fox shock is 190mm x 50mm so I don't think that will work, although you could take a wait and see approach, perhaps if you get the right bushings you could make it work.  Otherwise, I would recommend selling the shock with the frame anyway.  A new shock is about $400.

Frame - Upgrade to an CS-036 would be what I'd recommend as it's essentially a Scott Spark from, however, this FS frame is not available in BB92 like your Scott Genius.  Your only other choice becomes a Carbonal Titan 29er which is available in a BB92 bottom bracket.

Fork - Fox CTD, should be able to reuse as long as the steer tube was not cut down too much.  You need to measure your fork, from crown to top of stem and check and see if there is enough steer tube remaining to fit your new frame.  Alternatively, if you can find the head tube length of your current frame and compare it to the Titan head tube length in the size frame you want.

Headset - You wil most likely need to purchase a headset to go with your new frame, chances are slim that your Genius headset will be the correct size for the Titan frame.  Most likely you would also sell the headset with the frame.

Stem - Yes, should be able to reuse.

Handlebar - Yes, should be able to reuse.

Grips - Yes.

Brakes Levers/Calipers/Rotors - Yes, should be able to reuse, however you may need to run new rear brake lines if a longer line is needed for the new frame.  A new line is not expensive, however you will need some brake fluid and learn how to bleed your Shimano brakes.  However, it looks like you have a 180mm rear rotor which may need an adapter plate, 160mm is a standard rear rotor.  If your Scott frame has the right adapter, you could reuse it on the Titan.  You should have not problem with the front brakes as they are independent of the frame.

Shifters - Yes, they mount to the same bar you already have.

Front Derailleur - Maybe.  You will need to ask Carbonal what FD the Tita uses.  Otherwise, a new FD is not that expensive, less than $100 in most cases.  However, you said you are running a 1x setup so reusing your FD is not an issue unless you want to convert back to using a FD in the future.

Rear Derailleur - Yes.  This should not be a problem.  However, again, you may need a new cable if the Titan frame has a longer run from the bars to the RD.

Cranks - Yes, if the new frame is the same BB spec, meaning both are BB92 like on the Carbonal Titan, you should be able to reuse.  However, if you are wanting to swap to the CS-036 then you will either need to find a way to adapt your cranks or buy new.

Bottom bracket - Yes, as long as both frames are BB92 like the Carbonal Titan, the bottom bracket should fit.  However, if going to the CS-036 then you will need a new BB.

Pedals - Yes.

Chain - Maybe.  If the distance from the cranks to the cassette is similar, otherwise you will need to add/remove links.  It's easy to remove links, harder to add them.  Otherwise your in need of a new chain, about $30 or so depending one what you get.

Cassette - Yes, goes with the wheels.

Front wheel - Yes, goes with your fork.

Rear wheel - Not sure.  Your Scott bike is a 142x12 according to the specs.  The Titan is 135x10 axle.  You would need to contact Carbonal to see if they have 142x12 rear dropouts available for the frame.  They might although I would think they would advertise this as a feature/option of the Titan frame.  If the Titan does not have the newer 142x12 thru axle, then you will need to convert your rear hub to 135x10.  Some hubs have the ability to convert.  You will need to ask your local Scott Bikes dealer if your rear hub will convert. 

Otherwise you are back to the CS/IP-036 frame as it has the 142x12 dropout that work with your rear hub, however, you would then need to buy a set of cranks.  However, there might be an adapter that you can install in a BSA or BB30 BB in the frame that will accept your cranks.  Really not sure, you would need to do some research.

Tires - Yes :).  That's an easy one.

Saddle - Yes.

Seatpost - Yes, your Scott post is a 31.6mm according to the specs, so it will work in either the CS-036 or Titan.

Seatpost clamp - Yes.

If you are upgrading to save weight, you might drop about 2 lbs.  Not a lot but every little bit helps.  Not to mention a carbon frame rides much smoother than an AL frame.

Hope my reply helps and good luck with your upgrade.

-Dave
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Polo7

« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »
Thank you CD for such a comprehensive answer. This is great information!

Let me tell you that I will lean towards the IP/CS-036 as a Spark is the bike I wanted all along. Got the Genius because the price was absolutely ridiculous.

Main problem with IP/CS-036 frame is the crankset. Main problem with the  Carbonal Titan 29er is the 142x12 thru axle. Correct?

Now that you know my preference,

What is the most cost-effective path here?

Which frame is better (performance, less issues) regardless of cost, ease of transfer?

Regards.

Jerryno

« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
@Polo7

Did you consider putting your money into better wheels rather than better frame?

I bet you will feel every gram saved from wheels more than frame weight saving. If you need more comfortable ride go for the frame obviously.

Consider some carbon rims with tubeless light tires and the bike will fly.

cmh

« Reply #81 on: August 03, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »
Hi Polo, I sent you this in a PM but for the benefit of others I will post my response here as well.  Maybe someone else can chime and and provide some info on reusing your BB92 cranks in a BSA or BB30 frame.  That's something I don't know about.

BB92 is just the bearings from a BSA external bearing bottom bracket pressed directly into a wider BB housing. My wife's Scale has the BB92 and the bike came with standard Shimano cranks which are now in a bike with a BSA threaded bottom bracket.

Frame - Upgrade to an CS-036 would be what I'd recommend as it's essentially a Scott Spark from, however, this FS frame is not available in BB92 like your Scott Genius.  Your only other choice becomes a Carbonal Titan 29er which is available in a BB92 bottom bracket.

The 036 has the BSA option, so get an external bottom bracket and you're good to go.

cmh

Polo7

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
Thank you for this advice. You guys are experts at this stuff. Just starting out in the MTB world.

How much is an external bottom bracket?

Polo7

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2015, 05:43:57 PM »
@Polo7

Did you consider putting your money into better wheels rather than better frame?

I bet you will feel every gram saved from wheels more than frame weight saving. If you need more comfortable ride go for the frame obviously.

Consider some carbon rims with tubeless light tires and the bike will fly.

What carbon wheels do you recommend?

marcelhagener

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2015, 03:42:40 AM »
Hi there,

I am looking for some info :-)
I am about to build up a CS-036 from Peter. And I know triple crank sets are totally out of fashion but this bike is for a friend of mine and she insists on a triple! Can someone tell me what front derailleur I need to get for a XT crank set with 42/32/24??
BB is going to be BSA.

Many thanks,Marcel.

wardmtb

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2015, 01:32:50 AM »
I'm ready to order my first FS carbon from Peter (CS-036) but he said it would take 55 days for UD and 90-100 days for 3k. Did it take you that long to have it made? Contacted ICAN bikes and they have UD matte in my size available. Did any of you order from ICAN bikes? I think most ordered from Peter and had great exp but I'm hoping to have the frame asap.

MTB2223

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2015, 02:36:10 AM »
I think the factory made the frame in batches (one size at the time in one design (UD/3K/12K)). En not only for CarbonSpeed, but also for other companies.
And maybe ICAN got some stock ...

wardmtb

« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2015, 05:42:25 AM »
Thanks.

Has anyone dealt with ICAN? How was it? Good service/warranty and do they have frame issues?

PeterXu

« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2015, 09:22:38 AM »
CarbonSpeed, Iplay, Hongfu, Dengfu, Miracle, Ican all sell 036 FS frames which are made in same factory.

We sell frames everyday, so the inventory changes every day. Sometimes we sell same size same BB frames very well in a same day, we have to arrange production again so the lead time will be around 45-55 days. And our factory makes frames in UD finish mostly, if you need 3K weave frame, the lead time will be same 90-100 days even longer from all above companies.

Some customers want cheaper price, some want less lead time, but I think most would like best service before and after ordering. Anyway hope all guys can get what they want and no quality or warranty issues.

Polo7

« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2015, 03:39:28 PM »
Hey CD,

Looks (correct me if I'm wrong) that my current fork is the same one you used on your IP-036 build.

http://chinertown.com/index.php?topic=25.0

I have a 2014 FOX 32 Float Evolution CTD Air fork. Will have to confirm via serial number, but it looks like I could lower the travel from 130 to 100 mm.

http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=32    (2013-2015 32 float changing travel video)

Will try and research more about my rear shock. But it looks I have no option but to buy new one, correct?

The 036 has the BSA option. Will getting an external bottom bracket that converts it to BB92 solve this? Is this not optimal?

Thanks in advance.