Author Topic: Frame Advice  (Read 2035 times)

Andrewuk5

Frame Advice
« on: January 10, 2023, 02:43:47 PM »
Looking to buy either the Carbonda FM1001 or FM1002.
Is the 1002 a full enduro frame?
I ride mostly black trails with 6ft ish drops, would the 1001 cope with my 120kg, or would the longer travel 1002 suit me ?
I'd like it to be a good climber too.
Any help would be great, I'm new to carbon in general but the geo looks great on these frames.
Thanks

Jotegr

Re: Frame Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2023, 04:38:11 PM »
I'd go for the 1002 if it were your only bike. Both bikes will climb well with the new modern body position. Real climbing differences will moreso come down to the spec choices on each, especially the tires.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2023, 07:27:04 PM »
I’d definitely pick the 1002 for what you’re describing. The 1001 might technically handle it but the 1002 is much more specifically suited to it.

Heck, a lot of riders would suggest the 1003 for what you’re talking about…but the 1002 can handle it and is a great all-around AM bike.

If you want “real” enduro, go with a 1003. It can be run at 170/170 if you find that 180 is overkill for you.

I ran my 1002 with a 170 fork last season but will probably run it with a 160 in 2023 along with a 1003 at 170/170.

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 07:32:36 PM »
As for climbing, the 1001 and 1002 use the same linkage with basically the same kinematics to the 135mm point — the 1002 just puts a longer shock on it. They both climb quite well for a 4-bar linkage.

Nobody has compared the 1001/2 with the 1003 head to head — I hope to be the first, in a few months — but all descriptions are of it climbing very well for a long travel bike. Looking at it, I bet it climbs just as well if not even a little better than the 4-bars. It’s a slick little design, very well balanced in all its attributes.

casual_build

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2023, 07:40:28 PM »
I ride the FM1002 and its great, but the FM1003 is going to be a lot more durable and handle weight better. That frame weighs 1KG more than the FM1002 and is probably way stiffer.

I would put the FM1002 as a super aggressive trail bike, but not a full Enduro bike. Kind of like the Transition Sentinel.

With the FM1003, you could have a super capable Enduro bike under 15Kg
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 07:48:04 PM by casual_build »

Andrewuk5

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2023, 06:15:05 AM »
Wow, thanks guys for your advice.
Think I'll go with the 1002 frame, paired with a DVO Topaz shock.
How is the paint from Carbonda? Im debating on just getting the matt black as they said it's clear coated too, will get it a lot faster.
Also do you press the headset in these carbon frames like Al?

Thanks again!

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2023, 07:12:01 AM »
How is the paint from Carbonda? Im debating on just getting the matt black as they said it's clear coated too, will get it a lot faster.

Thanks again!

The matte black has been fine for me. Not the highest quality paint but in most situations there’s no real practical difference from most branded bikes. It just chips, scuffs and gets shiny from rub (bike shorts, shoes brushing the top tube when you mount/dismount etc) a little easily. Emphasis on a little.

Looks awesome though, so few branded bikes are available in matte black.

Headset is drop-in…the Carbonda OEM lets water in a little easily (when washing the bike etc) and becomes creaky within a fairly short time under aggressive riding. Would suggest a third party headset such as Ritchey or FSA no.55R. The 55R is in short supply in the USA so you may have to order one from the EU; I got my latest one for my 1003 build from BikeInn.

Andrewuk5

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2023, 11:06:48 AM »
Great thanks for the tips. Will be sure to try pick up an FSA headset.

Will I need additional hardware to mount the Topaz 205x60 shock? Its brandnew.
Cheers

casual_build

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2023, 11:48:29 AM »

Thanks again!

Currently, paint is a dice roll. Sometimes perfect, sometimes it has a lot of issues

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 12:10:28 PM »
Great thanks for the tips. Will be sure to try pick up an FSA headset.

Will I need additional hardware to mount the Topaz 205x60 shock? Its brandnew.
Cheers

The trunnion end is all set with the supplied bolts, you just need hardware for the rocker arm end. Because this end rotates so significantly during travel, I used a RWC roller bearing for maximum small bump performance instead of DU bushings. But regular Fox DU bushings or similar (DVO sells their own that is basically identical) will get the job done.

The RWC bearings are great but you also have to get the special RWC installation tool to reliably get them in place. Regular bushing presses aren’t stable enough to do it perfectly straight.

Andrewuk5

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 02:05:03 PM »
The trunnion end is all set with the supplied bolts, you just need hardware for the rocker arm end. Because this end rotates so significantly during travel, I used a RWC roller bearing for maximum small bump performance instead of DU bushings. But regular Fox DU bushings or similar (DVO sells their own that is basically identical) will get the job done.

The RWC bearings are great but you also have to get the special RWC installation tool to reliably get them in place. Regular bushing presses aren’t stable enough to do it perfectly straight.

I will probably opt for the bushing to keep costs low for now as I'm already over budget. Could you link me to the correct ones if possible? For 1002 frame & Topaz shock. Its all new to me, lol.
Cheers

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 06:52:45 PM »
You want 8x30mm (approximate; some tiny fraction of a mm over or under is usually compatible) Fox DU polymer bushings, if memory serves.

(Updated, original misquoted the size. I was probably thinking of the 1003’s yoke mount, since that’s my current project.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 10:27:34 AM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

Andrewuk5

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2023, 09:42:02 AM »
If I was to order the RWC needle bearings would I need the 8x30 kit? Cheers

FullCarbonAlchemist

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2023, 10:25:19 AM »
If I was to order the RWC needle bearings would I need the 8x30 kit? Cheers

Yup, that’s the one I ordered.

And I corrected my previous reply, 30mm is the right size for whatever you’re using. Originally I was probably thinking of the hardware for a 1003 since that’s my current project.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 10:29:12 AM by FullCarbonAlchemist »

Andrewuk5

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2023, 04:09:11 PM »
Thanks mate I have ordered it.
What is the chainline on these frames do you know?
Trying to pick a crankset. Can't wait for frame to arrive!
Cheers