Author Topic: Are AliEx/open mold carbon bikes common in your area?  (Read 6083 times)

jonathanf2

Are AliEx/open mold carbon bikes common in your area?
« on: March 10, 2023, 11:19:34 AM »
One thing I notice, at least where I live (S.Cal/Los Angeles) is that AliEx components and Chinese carbon frames are a rare sight to see. Most my ride groups are composed of mostly name brand bikes and Shimano/SRAM components. In fact I probably only saw 1 ICAN built frame in the last 2 years on a random ride. My bike builds end up getting more attention on group rides because of all the obscure AliEx components I use. I'm surprised how much some other cyclists spent on their bikes, when they don't weigh any less or even shift as well as my builds.

Anyways, I'm curious how the AliEX/Chinese carbon scene looks in your area and if they're catching on or not?

jannmayer

Re: Are AliEx/open mold carbon bikes common in your area?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 11:42:46 AM »
I'm also in Southern California (San Diego) and I don't recall ever seeing one. Seems like most of the roadies are on Specialized and Santa Cruz is really popular on the trails.

Even the mainstream direct-to-consumer bikes are rare. I've only seen a handful of Canyons even though their North American headquarters is down here.

jefflinde

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 11:50:13 AM »
I have been on open mold frames exclusively for about 6 yrs now.  My fat bike, MTB, road and gravel all are open mold.  I have only come across a few other riders on them.  they are more popular in the fat bike world but still not common.  I do agree that it is crazy how much people spend on bikes just to have that name brand.  I run exclusively shimano drivetrains just because when I started, sense didn't exist and I had to pick one for continuity of repair parts and processes.  the ability to have a top spec drivetrain on an open mold frame gives me a riding experience on par or above most riders at a fraction of the cost.  I would rather have multiple bikes tailored for a specific riding type then one uber expensive bike that I have to use for everything.  I probably spend the same amount of $$ on bikes but I have a whole fleet.

jonathanf2

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 12:11:57 PM »
I'm also in Southern California (San Diego) and I don't recall ever seeing one. Seems like most of the roadies are on Specialized and Santa Cruz is really popular on the trails.

Even the mainstream direct-to-consumer bikes are rare. I've only seen a handful of Canyons even though their North American headquarters is down here.

I was recently at a fairly big cycling event with a few hundred riders and I purposely tried looking for other open mold/AliEx type bikes. The most I saw was one cyclist with SuperTeam wheels! I do own a Poseidon X gravel frameset and that's the only domestic direct-to-consumer bike I've seen grown in popularity. I even built a "proof of concept" 1x road bike using a spare carbon frameset and AliEx components and so far that bike rides amazingly smooth.

I have been on open mold frames exclusively for about 6 yrs now.  My fat bike, MTB, road and gravel all are open mold.  I have only come across a few other riders on them.  they are more popular in the fat bike world but still not common.  I do agree that it is crazy how much people spend on bikes just to have that name brand.  I run exclusively shimano drivetrains just because when I started, sense didn't exist and I had to pick one for continuity of repair parts and processes.  the ability to have a top spec drivetrain on an open mold frame gives me a riding experience on par or above most riders at a fraction of the cost.  I would rather have multiple bikes tailored for a specific riding type then one uber expensive bike that I have to use for everything.  I probably spend the same amount of $$ on bikes but I have a whole fleet.

I currently have 3 bike builds. I only run Shimano RD/FDs, but I've been experimenting with Sensah/Ltwoo shifters, AliEx cranksets and brake calipers. I have an itch to build a lightweight 1x disc climbing bike, but just using affordable components. I like the idea of building affordable lightweight mechanical bikes tuned to perfection.

jefflinde

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 01:15:05 PM »

I currently have 3 bike builds. I only run Shimano RD/FDs, but I've been experimenting with Sensah/Ltwoo shifters, AliEx cranksets and brake calipers. I have an itch to build a lightweight 1x disc climbing bike, but just using affordable components. I like the idea of building affordable lightweight mechanical bikes tuned to perfection.

I did just build a climbing bike using the velobuild 066 frame.  I went rim brake and 2x but it will be sub 6.8kg.  it had the Sensah 2x12 groups on it originally and I actually really liked it.  performance was great and it shifted just as I would have expected.  I got a wild hair and switched stover to shimano 9100 mechanical rim brake.  I figured this may be my last change to get a rim brake non-electric group set in my lifetime.  hahaha. 

svanimpe

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 04:09:57 PM »
I live in Belgium, and although I rarely see an unbranded open mould frame, I do see a lot of rebranded ones. Plenty of smaller brands rely on open moulds.

I've even seen branded open mould frames raced in women's World Tour.

Crash217

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 11:20:42 AM »
I hardly ever see open mold or AliEx stuff around NE oklahoma.    I know one person with an older chinarello and that's it.   I'm the only I know who is tossing AliExpress parts on their bikes.  But, I don't go group rides and keep mostly to myself or one or two riding friends.

I went and raced the MidSouth100 over this past weekend.  Saw a few open mold bikes and a couple things with Sensah groupsets.  Not sure if the people realized their BoltCutter and Bombtrack were open molds though.   Anything and everything was in the crowd, it was a pretty wild experience passing someone riding a 3d printed Titanium bike then 2 minutes later someone comes by on a vintage steel, single speed.

jonathanf2

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 12:37:49 PM »
I hardly ever see open mold or AliEx stuff around NE oklahoma.    I know one person with an older chinarello and that's it.   I'm the only I know who is tossing AliExpress parts on their bikes.  But, I don't go group rides and keep mostly to myself or one or two riding friends.

I went and raced the MidSouth100 over this past weekend.  Saw a few open mold bikes and a couple things with Sensah groupsets.  Not sure if the people realized their BoltCutter and Bombtrack were open molds though.   Anything and everything was in the crowd, it was a pretty wild experience passing someone riding a 3d printed Titanium bike then 2 minutes later someone comes by on a vintage steel, single speed.

I would actually get more excited if I see someone with an open mold/AliEx bike. I ride on the occasional group rides and it's always the same LBS purchased or direct-to-consumer brand bike. I'm more interested in the custom builds. Nothing irks me more when someone has a $6k plus bike and you can hear a poorly tuned derailleur! Even in a big city like LA, it's always the same name brand stuff everywhere I go.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:19:43 PM by jonathanf2 »

00Garza

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 02:03:39 PM »
I've only ever seen one other chinese carbon frame out in the wild.

s3si1u

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 02:59:43 PM »
Not really. I'm in Southern California and haven't seen another one out in the wild. I've talked to a handful of people from Offerup/Craigslist/etc. who I was buying or selling from that either owned an open mold or were in the process of building one. Maybe it was some of y'all  ;D

coffeebreak

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »
I have seen only one other Chiner bike here in Seattle area. On Craigslist and FB I did see 2-3 ads for Chiner frames including a VB CX001 frame but that’s about it.

jefflinde

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 09:46:30 PM »
I would actually get more excited if I see someone with an open mold/AliEx bike. I ride on the occasional group rides and it's always the same LBS purchased or direct-to-consumer brand bike. I'm more interested in the custom builds. Nothing irks me more when someone has a $6k plus bike and you can hear a poorly tuned derailleur! Even in a big city like LA, it's always the same name brand stuff everywhere I go.

I always love the trek 9.9 what ever or the S-works what ever that you can hear the rusty squeaky chain on from 100yds away.  They spend $3k on aero wheels to save 4 watts and then runs drive train so dry and gritty it is costing them 30 watts.  I have never understood that one.

Crash217

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2023, 08:10:45 AM »

HA!  My main riding buddy has the top of the line $7k Look 765RS gravel bike.   He's an automotive mechanic by trade but can't figure out how to properly take care of his chain, despite my offers to do it/show him how.  We will be on a ride and I'll say something to the affect of "Do you wear your ear bud in the right ear because because your chain sounds like a couple of Transformers trying to screw or is it just a coincidence?"

jonathanf2

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2023, 11:19:24 AM »
HA!  My main riding buddy has the top of the line $7k Look 765RS gravel bike.   He's an automotive mechanic by trade but can't figure out how to properly take care of his chain, despite my offers to do it/show him how.  We will be on a ride and I'll say something to the affect of "Do you wear your ear bud in the right ear because because your chain sounds like a couple of Transformers trying to screw or is it just a coincidence?"

The other day I was riding with my buddy who's an engineer by trade and was rolling on a Giant TCR Advanced. We noticed his cassette was rattling. It's not the most expensive bike, but it's still north of $4K USD and I was rolling on my "spare parts" 1x carbon endurance frame with $50 Sensah shifters and a $50 Goldix crankset. I asked him if he had tightened it properly, and he's like yeah I tightened it (he had a new wheelset). When we got back to my house to check on his cassette, he must have hand screwed the lock ring because that sucker just slid off the freehub!

On my occasional group rides there's always a few bikes that need serious tuning, chains that need to be wiped down and the easily preventable mechanical issues. I think this is why I like AliEx and open mold frames, it truly forces you to learn your bike, which I think makes you a better cyclist in the long run.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 11:21:14 AM by jonathanf2 »

Froglover825

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 08:31:39 PM »
In my area (Bris, Australia) I've seen 1 winspace but aside from that nothing.
It is basically 60% sworks/specialized, 30% giant, 5% cervelo s5's and then 5% random brands canyons/scott/focus

On fb marketplace i've seen some lightbicycle wheels but not in person.