Author Topic: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame  (Read 25398 times)

Eddy_Twerckx

Re: VeloBuild VB-R-268 frame
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 03:04:37 PM »
Not sure how I feel about the quick release axles. Extra moving parts and a source or failure for little (or no) benefit. Not sure what the positives even are.

Bummer about the seatpost. Would love to get a zero offset for my 168.

Sakizashi

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2023, 11:57:24 PM »
This frame looks really good. Love the low geo, its not quite as stretched out at the Yishun 086, but i like the look quite a bit better. This is definitely a race geometry. As others have mentioned, the thru axle choice is also very curious and expensive. Makes me wonder if this is was prototype mold or something that didn't work out for a bigger brand. There are legends that some of the open molds in the 2010s started that way; though this doesn't look like a Willier, Derosa, Lapierre, or Orbea.

If you need to / want to ditch the Mavic Speed Release axles, Robert Axle Project does make replacements.

I dont need to buy an aero bike to build. I dont...need...

Unsworn5836

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2023, 09:43:33 AM »
It looks like the merged the venge from 2019 with a tarmac sl7 and the axels from cannondale.

timjen

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2023, 05:28:21 AM »
Is there any chance to get a sl7-stem or another handlebar/stem work on the top cap?

patliean1

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2023, 07:25:05 AM »
In regards to the zero degree setback seatpost, how much range of fore/aft does this reduce compared to 15 or 20 degree?

Meaning...if my saddle rail position is dead center on a 20 degree setback post, will I have to slam the saddle back beyond spec to get the same position?

maza

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2023, 12:31:13 PM »
In regards to the zero degree setback seatpost, how much range of fore/aft does this reduce compared to 15 or 20 degree?

Meaning...if my saddle rail position is dead center on a 20 degree setback post, will I have to slam the saddle back beyond spec to get the same position?
What's a 20 degree setback post?

Sebastian

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2023, 12:40:04 PM »

Isn’t setback usually given in millimetres rather than degrees?

Sakizashi

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2023, 01:36:19 PM »
Is there any chance to get a sl7-stem or another handlebar/stem work on the top cap?

I am probably going to work on this over the next few weeks; and it should fit this frame, though it wouldn't be made for it. I am still considering buying this frame; but haven't got around to asking velobuild if they would just sell me one without any handlebar. I really should get a cross bike, since i actually "need" one vs. another road bike.

I run a small Etsy shop on the side (largely to subsidize my CAD subscription) and have made a number of these kinds of spacers and adapters. If you want to design these yourself, you can definitely use a nylon to get decent results. I think @thestickybottle on instagram, raceware direct, elilee etc are using just regular PA12 made on commercial grade printers. These prints are not as dense and not as strong in compression as OEM injection molded stuff, but they should be strong enough. I spend personally spend an extra $5-10 and get glass filled nylon for anything in constant compression as its much more creep resistant and about the same strength as the OEM stuff.

Edit: I should add that I already have a versions for electronic wireless shifting for the Kalloy Uno stems and drop in replacement C-rings that offer greater contact area as well. DM for more info.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 01:41:11 PM by Sakizashi »

patliean1

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2023, 01:50:18 PM »
What's a 20 degree setback post?

I'm an idiot.

Velovelo

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2023, 05:22:57 AM »

How I manage this is I add the saddle setback to the Effective Top tube length of the known frame setup and then compare that to the frame that has a zero setback seat post.

For example, your Tavelo Attack frame size L has a 15mm seat post setback and an effective top tube of 553mm (390mm reach).
Your total "Imaginary" effective top tube length would be 15+553 =  568mm.

To translate that to the VB-R-268 frame that has a zero setback seat post, you would need to go with the size L of the VB-R-268 which has an effective top tube of 563mm (398mm reach). Then adjust stem length according to your needs.
Coming from a 20mm setback you may need to push your saddle about 5mm forward, off dead center which is fine as far as you do not go beyound the saddle's safety mark.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2023, 04:58:31 AM by Velovelo »

timjen

« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2023, 09:31:51 AM »
So, I am a bit confused about my selection Right now - money is Not the point, I am really struggling between a SL8 and this one here.
For me I have mixed emotions with a chinese frame - my TanTan X21 worked 10k more or less superb (just feeling a bit unsecure about 80km/h), but my newer Airwolf/Aspero frame has dozens of problems I don‘t want to face the next time.

So in case of this 268 what do you think about quality?

My other „problem“ will be mounting another stem or cockpit, which will not fit on velobuilds cap. A friend of mine is familiar with 3d prints, but where do I get those files?

Is the Stack measured with or without cap?

Sakizashi

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2023, 11:28:53 AM »
If you wont miss the extra $2K, getting the SL8 is probably worth it. Easier access to spares, easier shop service if you need it. Proven performance etc. and you will get some of that back on resale if you swap bikes every couple of years.

Regarding your concerns around fitting other bars and stems. This bike uses a 1 1/2” upper bearing, so you should be able to swap it out for headsets from Deda and FSA and use systems compatible with their designs. You will lose the shaped transition spacer. Integrated bars tend to come with fit kits including their own spacers. Higher end Chinese ones like the BigRock Skyline II even include their own C ring.

RE: 3D printing. Some people release their 3d printed designs on sites like printables. I personally do not, as I don’t want to offer support for the design or deal with people printing the designs in materials that they aren’t designed for and then telling me the design doesn’t work.

chughes

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2023, 12:26:17 PM »
Sakizashi since I already have the 168, like you I am considering getting the 268, without the handlebar and stem. My issue with VB is the shortest (width) handle  bar they have tends to be 40's and I prefer 38's. Also in the past I have seen a tendency for their sep handlebar and stem tend to  result in headset play vs their one piece. The 950 grams for the medium (current 168 is a 54) is of interest considering I would probably go a bit smaller (52). Suspect I can probably end up with a build of 7.2 (pedals and bottle cage included)

gmh

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2023, 01:35:40 PM »
I run a small Etsy shop on the side

You don't happen to have a link to your Etsy, do you?  I don't know know if you remember, but talked about an adapter you were making for hiding the Zeno couplers under an SMR stem.  (https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4455.msg50564.html#msg50564)  Figured I'd see if you sell it instead of having to reinvent the wheel.

Sakizashi

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2023, 04:18:58 PM »
You don't happen to have a link to your Etsy, do you?  I don't know know if you remember, but talked about an adapter you were making for hiding the Zeno couplers under an SMR stem.  (https://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,4455.msg50564.html#msg50564)  Figured I'd see if you sell it instead of having to reinvent the wheel.

I am really bad about listing stuff for sale. I think its about a three month delay from a "final" design to a listing.

I just pulled this stem off the road bike to make some adjustments after a few months of testing. Just wanted to create a little more room on shorter length stems with a small design change. The new prints should be here within a week and assuming they come out how I expect, I will add a listing for it. Should be about $50 shipped in the US. I will DM it to you when it's up.