Author Topic: LTWOO eGR  (Read 8176 times)

amacal1

Re: LTWOO eGR
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2024, 07:49:49 PM »
I've been opening the app before and after each ride lately and taking screenshots as that's the easiest, most straightforward way for me to document shifts and battery usage. My last 2 rides totaled 65 miles and 1,167 shifts and the battery dropped from 100% to 91%. That ain't bad at all.

sOKRATEs100

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2024, 03:21:34 PM »
Thanks a lot for reporting your experiences!

trcycling

« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2024, 01:24:53 AM »
Hello, I just joined this forum to jump in on the discussion of the eGR. I ordered one and just installed it last night. Well, almost. Ran into an issue bleeding the brakes because I didn't have an appropriate nipple to plug my syringe into the caliper port. So, waiting on a new bleed kit to come in tomorrow with a selection of various sized nipples. Also, need to finalize how I'm routing the power cable, as of now it's just taped on the chain stay.

Either way, I'm disappointed to hear about the sudden influx of issues. I hope I got a newer one.

My hopes are high as my initial impression is quite good. Shifting is smooth and fast once I got it dialed in. I'm coming from a Microshift Advent X 1x10 setup where I was using a Microshift Sword 11-38 cassette on a "road" type wheelset and the stock boat anchor cassette on a gravel-esque wheelset.

I'm wondering if you got the bleed kit sorted out and have any thoughts to share. I've got eGR set on the way. I'm used to doing deeper install research before installing but there is so little on it. So any tips or cautions are appreciated. (or pointers to a more appropriate thread)

00Garza

« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2024, 10:22:43 AM »
Good updates on eGR. Any water tests or washes as of yet for you guys running eGR?

Trackar

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2024, 10:34:15 AM »

I'm wondering if you got the bleed kit sorted out and have any thoughts to share. I've got eGR set on the way. I'm used to doing deeper install research before installing but there is so little on it. So any tips or cautions are appreciated. (or pointers to a more appropriate thread)

Very easy to install imo. The usual pain to run bike lines if you’re internal, but then just a regular bleed procedure as if they’re shimano levers. Plug it in and begin to fine tune the shifting in the app. EZ. I didn’t have to do anything weird in my install to make anything work. Besides the 1st batteries not working.

amacal1

« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2024, 10:57:35 AM »

Actually... I did have some minor issues. Mostly because I ordered the "no box / no battery" package, so I did not get Ltwoo's bleed kit. I ordered some supposedly Shimano compatible kit from Amazon, but it came with only one type of fitting and tube connector. Unfortunately, there was no way to get my syringe onto the Ltwoo caliper port. I had to order a different kit from Amazon that came with a variety of different fittings and doo-dads and, fortunately, one of them fit the port. If I could go back in time, I'd much rather have ordered the Ltwoo kit because it was cheap and would have been a little less headache. But, it was a relatively minor inconvenience. Plus, the delay let me re-evaluate how I had run everything, and I was able to take a little time to shorten one of my hoses a little for *perfect* fit and finish.

Also, while installing, I was completely convinced that they had left out a screw that I needed for my size caliper installation. I checked very thoroughly and was absolutely sure it was missing. I came up with a work-around solution and was about to write them an email so they could send me a replacement or at least give me the specifications so I could source locally, and the only reason I didn't send the email was because I resolved to do it once I finished for the night. Anyway... I found the missing screw PERFECTLY nestled and hidden inside some spacer or something. I mean, it was flawlessly hidden. So, I guess they did a great job packaging the hardware. If you order the "no box / no battery" package it surely looks like a mess of stuff just randomly shoved in a box with a bunch of packing foam, but they did have some order in the madness.

Good updates on eGR. Any water tests or washes as of yet for you guys running eGR?

I kinda *need* mine to work this upcoming weekend as I'm riding it in a big century ride event I'm going to. So, I've been baby-ing it and being very easy with it. I'm surely going to be a lot more adventurous and abusive after that.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 11:08:02 AM by amacal1 »

sOKRATEs100

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2024, 03:08:56 PM »
@amacal1: What kind of bleed kid did you buy? At the moment they only offer the version without box and without batteries on Aliexpress: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006636427506.html

FabioZang

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2024, 02:49:38 AM »
I am from China, and it's possible that I have access to information faster than others.

What I want to say is that although I haven't personally used the EGR kits, based on feedback from friends around me who have used it, the early versions of the EGR did not perform well in terms of waterproofing. All three of my friends experienced failures in the waterproofing performance of their EGR kits.

They obtained these early version kits either at the end of last year or the beginning of this year. I'm not sure if the recent updates to the EGR have completely resolved these issues.

sOKRATEs100

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2024, 06:43:43 AM »
Hi @FabioZang,

many thanks for your feedback! Question is, when did they have updated the version in order to be more waterproof - if they did at all?

If they did, how to ensure to get delivered the updated version and not the previous one. I have reached out to Ltwoo via Emai, but didn't get a response. Via Aliexpress I didn't find a "chat/message button" to get in contact with the "official Ltwoo store" in order to ask them those questions.

You might have more luck when writing to them via email in your language? Could you give it a try?

Are there similar forum chats in China about this topic?

Many thanks, Dennis
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:47:02 AM by sOKRATEs100 »

amacal1

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2024, 09:20:38 AM »
@amacal1: What kind of bleed kid did you buy? At the moment they only offer the version without box and without batteries on Aliexpress: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005006636427506.html

I think you can buy the Ltwoo bleed kit as a separate item on AliExpress.

On Amazon, I originally bought a "Borgen" brand kit, which there was nothing wrong with it other than the fact that it only had one kind of fitting and that fitting did not work with the Ltwoo caliper.

I then bought a "CYCOBYCO" brand kit that had a variety of fittings, one of which fit the Ltwoo caliper. This is not a full endorsement of that kit, per se. There seem to be many others that also come with a wide variety of fittings.

trcycling

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2024, 04:06:12 PM »
My eGR kit just showed up and I'm getting ready to configure. I ran into a question:

Is there a way to configure the shifters so that one can use BOTH sides at the same time?

I found that the app lets me change whether to use the right OR the left shifters to control the RD but see no setting to use both. On a side note, I find it hilarious that the app insists that the other one will be controlling the front derailleur which doesn't exist today on the eGR AND can't be powered with the eGR battery pack (the second power port is blank)

sOKRATEs100

« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2024, 02:14:22 AM »
I was wonderung why both break leavers have shifter buttons anyway? Would only make sense if both buttons/leavers can be used for shifting the rear derailleur, true.

Are there 2 leavers for shifting on both sides or just one leaver?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 02:36:38 AM by sOKRATEs100 »

FabioZang

« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2024, 04:09:55 AM »
Hi @FabioZang,

many thanks for your feedback! Question is, when did they have updated the version in order to be more waterproof - if they did at all?

If they did, how to ensure to get delivered the updated version and not the previous one. I have reached out to Ltwoo via Emai, but didn't get a response. Via Aliexpress I didn't find a "chat/message button" to get in contact with the "official Ltwoo store" in order to ask them those questions.

You might have more luck when writing to them via email in your language? Could you give it a try?

Are there similar forum chats in China about this topic?

Many thanks, Dennis

I will try to ask them. Usually, I can contact them directly through platforms like Taobao or WeChat, without the need for emails. However, based on the feedback I received from secondary distributors in the past, the new versions of the EGR did not improve the waterproofing performance. In special cases, it is necessary to disassemble the rear derailleur and manually apply some waterproof sealant. But such an operation may result in the loss of warranty eligibility.

Based on the experiences of my friends, they had to wait until the rear derailleur got water inside and caused issues before contacting Ltwoo for repairs or part replacements (mainly due to water ingress in the rear derailleur). This process can be frustrating, and this issue may not necessarily occur in every kit. I am inclined to believe it could be a quality control problem. Moreover, purchasing Ltwoo from outside China would incur higher post-purchase costs, both in terms of money and time.

However, there have been some software improvements for the EGR, such as enhanced logic for situations like stationary shifting and accidental button presses. As for hardware improvements, there is currently no information available.

China does have similar forums, but we are not exactly like BBS forums. We are more like Reddit, with channels categorized based on discussion topics, and the discussions tend to be more basic. For more specialized discussions, we usually rely on WeChat group chats, which are more closed-off but allow for deeper conversations.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 04:15:44 AM by FabioZang »

FabioZang

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2024, 04:14:03 AM »
My eGR kit just showed up and I'm getting ready to configure. I ran into a question:

Is there a way to configure the shifters so that one can use BOTH sides at the same time?

I found that the app lets me change whether to use the right OR the left shifters to control the RD but see no setting to use both. On a side note, I find it hilarious that the app insists that the other one will be controlling the front derailleur which doesn't exist today on the eGR AND can't be powered with the eGR battery pack (the second power port is blank)
Ltwoo's idea is to use the left-hand button to control the electronic dropper seatpost. This dropper seatpost is expected to be released in the second half of this year, along with the mountain electronic derailleur. As for the accompanying shifting logic issues, it is indeed a frustrating design choice, but it seems that there are no other options at the moment.

amacal1

« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2024, 08:22:12 AM »
Ltwoo's idea is to use the left-hand button to control the electronic dropper seatpost. This dropper seatpost is expected to be released in the second half of this year, along with the mountain electronic derailleur. As for the accompanying shifting logic issues, it is indeed a frustrating design choice, but it seems that there are no other options at the moment.

That's good info, and I'm sure many people would be interested in an electronic remote dropper post option. I think it would be neat if there were some compatibility between the eGR lineup and the eR9 lineup, so that an eR9 front derailleur could be paired with a eGR rear derailleur and still function.

Also, I don't know how open the protocols are, but it would be neat if those buttons could be used to control a bike computer (i.e. scroll through screens on a head unit). We have these 2 extra buttons just sitting there, sure would be nice if there were more things we could do with them.

... AND can't be powered with the eGR battery pack (the second power port is blank)

THIS is the single most confusing decision I've yet seen made for this system. I noticed the same thing when I installed my eGR, that the battery pack has a space for the second power port but that it was blanked off. WHY?!!!  I can't imagine it saves them money, if anything it probably costs more in the long run to have to maintain two different part production, stock, etc. Maybe it was to prevent issues related to moisture or other things, but then why not a little rubber plug or something. Even if it wasn't an elegantly designed rubber plug, just some random bit of rubber shoved in the hole that was a PITA to remove later would be better than no port at all.

Assuming that their customers like their products and buy more of them, it sure would be nice to have an extra battery pack that could be used between the 2x systems and the 1x systems. I'm still wary of how long my eGR may last and wary of all the reports about failures in the eR9, but so far it's been great and the price was incredible. If that continues to be the case, I could see myself buying an eR9 for my road bike.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 08:31:47 AM by amacal1 »