Author Topic: Budget Build  (Read 42988 times)

JohnnyNT

Re: Budget Build
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 04:42:20 AM »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2015, 08:06:38 AM »
From a quick web search, it appears there is a steel press fit adapter that can convert BB30 to a threaded BB.  However, it's not something I would recommend, it's another part that is pressed into the frame which can cause more creaking problems and of course adds a bit more weight.  Here is a quick example of one of the adapters:  http://www.competitivecyclist.com/sram-bb30-to-bsa-bottom-bracket-adaptor-kit

Just put in your order for an IP-036 and in the meantime gather up all your other components.  While you are at it, go for a custom paint scheme :) for your new frame.

With an adapter of course ;) http://wheelsmfg.com/bb-30-shims-shimano.html

That's another type of adapter, the one drawback I see with that one is it spaces out the cranks quite a bit, probably less ergonomic.  It may cause additional fatigue in a person's knees if your pedals are spread out more.  Many people like a narrow Q-factor as it's a bit more ideal.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:12:53 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

brucevilanch

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:01 PM »
What type of bottom bracket type does the ip-036 come with? I'm trying to figure out what parts to buy before ordering the frame.

Vipassana

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 05:41:34 PM »
You have your choice. BSA or BB30. Possibly PF30 as well, but I'm not certain on that.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 05:44:06 PM »
What type of bottom bracket type does the ip-036 come with? I'm trying to figure out what parts to buy before ordering the frame.

It's your choice, you can have BSA or BB30 (no PF30 option).  Someone earlier said Peter at Iplay had BB30 in stock but there was a 2 month wait for the BSA option.  Personally, I still recommend the threaded BSA option, some people have had poor experiences with BB30.

http://www.xmiplay.com/ProductDetails1579
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

bdub

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 07:14:34 PM »
Bert says it will be at least 60 days before they have any with the BSA option available. Apparently they have none in stock and they are coming up on the Chinese new year. Sure wish I could have 2 weeks off of work every year.

I guess really it comes down to if I want to spend the extra money to go with an SRAM setup as opposed to Shimano. Looking at the SRAM options it's going to have to be X7. What Shimano group compares to X7?

The adapters don't look that great as you said Carbon Dude. Lot's of people over at MBR seem to think they work just great so its hard to say.

outriding9800

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 07:54:48 PM »
I have chinese carbon bike and I ordered a bb30 but decided later to go bsa by using a adaptor
9 months later and it has not made a noise..  note I did use that sleave "glue" 

I made borrowed a press that was made out of threaded rod and plates of metal.

brucevilanch

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 08:49:19 PM »
Sure wish I could have 2 weeks off of work every year.

Yeah, me too. I work for Amazon, we don't get weeks off at a time for holidays. hahaha
I guess really it comes down to if I want to spend the extra money to go with an SRAM setup as opposed to Shimano. Looking at the SRAM options it's going to have to be X7. What Shimano group compares to X7?

I would like to find this out too. I'm currently looking at the Shimano SLX groupset, minus the brakes. I'm probably going to go with Avid BB7 mechicals.

I'm thinking about waiting to see some reviews of the Enduro copy. I don't know about the geometry of it, but the frame itself looks awesome. Does anyone have a link to who is selling these, that isn't ebay?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 08:55:16 PM by brucevilanch »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 08:55:48 PM »
Contrary to what was said earlier about people getting two weeks off for the Chinese New Year, all of the people I work with over in China generally take one week, very similar to our Christmas to New Years week many people take off work in the US.

As for which Shimano group is like SRAM X7, I would agree that you'd be looking at SLX.  Get a clutched R/D if you go with either brand, it's well worth it to eliminate chain suck.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

brucevilanch

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 09:03:39 PM »
Get a clutched R/D if you go with either brand, it's well worth it to eliminate chain suck.

Which Shimano would you recommend? I see that the SLX M675 is clutched, that's the one I was planning on getting. One that would be budget oriented, so we stay on topic. hahaha
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 09:06:22 PM by brucevilanch »

bdub

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »
Just going over frame sizing to make sure I have the right size.

I am 6'0 tall with a 31.5 inseam. I was thinking 17.5 IP-036 would work for me but want to make sure it's not to small. Do you guys think a 19 would be better?

MTNRCKT

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 02:15:56 PM »

I'm thinking about waiting to see some reviews of the Enduro copy. I don't know about the geometry of it, but the frame itself looks awesome. Does anyone have a link to who is selling these, that isn't ebay?

I agree. Absolutely love the look of that frame, but haven't researched it enough to know if it fits my needs yet.

Here's the Chinertown thread on it, so we don't jack bdub's thread (feel free to add any info you find - very interested): http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,472.0.html

Cnasta

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »
In my opinion, go for SLX over X7. At least here (Netherlands) it's generally seen as better spec. Even if that's untrue, it still helps with future selling of your parts :)

btw: I'd prefer SLX of X7. SLX supposed to be good as well :)

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
Get a clutched R/D if you go with either brand, it's well worth it to eliminate chain suck.

Which Shimano would you recommend? I see that the SLX M675 is clutched, that's the one I was planning on getting. One that would be budget oriented, so we stay on topic. hahaha

I have the M675 and so far love it. From the research I did when buying my drive train - The best budget strategy is to get the lowest acceptable derailleur (SLX or X7) but upgrade the shifters to XT or X9, as there is supposedly a noticeable difference. Also, with Shimano the XT shifters will allow you to shift into a higher gear in increments of two whereas the SLX will only let you shift into higher gears in increments of one. After getting used to my bike, I really like being able jump up two gears especially when going downhill trying to quicly gain some momentum for an upcoming climb. I have no idea if the same holds true for the X7/X9 shifters.

If you go Shimano, I say go SLX M675 rear derailleur and XT shifters. That's what I chose, at least.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 07:13:16 PM by Sitar_Ned »

cmh

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 07:23:47 PM »
If you go Shimano, I say go SLX M675 rear derailleur and XT shifters. That's what I chose, at least.

I would have agreed in the past, but for me I'd run SLX for both. I've run XT shifters and the multiple-upshift kinda annoys me - I always seem to get multiples when I'm hitting bumps, exactly the wrong time to find yourself a gear or two too high. Plus I never have any problem firing off a couple presses when I do want multiple upshifts.

I got an all-SLX bike back in 2011, and figured I'd upgrade it as I went, but wound up really, really impressed with the SLX parts. If I was doing a budget build, I'd have zero problems going all SLX. For me, a higher level in the rear derailleur makes no difference, and I actually prefer the SLX for the shifters.

Opinions are like some body part, so take mine for what you will. :)