Author Topic: Spcycle New Mold G068 Carbon Gravel Frame  (Read 12636 times)

swhelan

Re: Spcycle New Mold G068 Carbon Gravel Frame
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2024, 08:05:54 AM »
Hi all,
I am new here but been reading for a while trying to orientate myself. I would like to build a Gravel bike that tries to replicate something close to the Canyon Grizl. From my research it looks like the SPCycles G068 might be close to that from what I see but open to feedback. I have some generic questions and specific... I haven't built a bike for many years so lots of things have changed.
Here goes...

- How do I know if I need cassette or crank spacers?
- Anything I am missing here or putting together that is stupid?
- Any suggestions over and above the G068 in terms of "Grizl like" nature? I looked at plenty but with so many choices its hard to know if I missed something.

Apologies if I should have started a new thread specific to this set of questions. Thanks in advance and below is the pick list I came up with so far (and thanks to those who published their build lists to give me a starting point to narrow things down).

ComponentSelectionLink
FrameSPCycles G068https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005007032577233.html
ForkG068 frameset
Seat postG068 frameset
Seat post clampG068 frameset
SaddleElita One Carbon Saddle (3155)https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005257755453.html
HandlebarsG068 framesethttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003118296860.html
Grips
StemG068 frameset
HeadsetG068 frameset
Top capG068 frameset
SpacersG068 frameset
GroupsetLTWOO GRT12-Disc 1x12shttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804861982533.html
Front brake leverGRT12 Groupset
Rear brake leverGRT12 Groupset
Rear shifterGRT12 Groupset
Front calliperGRT12 Groupset
Rear calliperGRT12 Groupset
Front padsGRT12 Groupset
Rear padsGRT12 Groupset
Front rotorGalfer wave 160https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08D3Z1BJD
Rear rotorGalfer wave 160https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08D3Z1BJD
Front brake cableGRT12 Groupset
Rear brake cableGRT12 Groupset
Front brake housingGRT12 Groupset
Rear brake housingGRT12 Groupset
Rear derailleurGRT12 Groupset
Rear derailleur cableGRT12 Groupset
CranksetSENICX PR2 Gravel Crankset 42T 170mmhttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005817385849.html
Bottom bracketT47 Bicycle Bottom Bracket 86.5 - CW Bikehttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005402928942.html
Cassette and freewheelZTTO ULT Pro 12 speed - 9-50Thttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006380414988.html
ChainShimano XT 12-Speedhttps://www.amazon.de/Shimano-Kette-Fahrrad-Unisex-Erwachsene/dp/B07SVMGP4C
Front wheelElite Wheels 700c, 38d 25whttps://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004574763198.html
Rear wheelElite Wheels 700c, 38d 25w
Front tyreSchwalbe G-One Overland
Rear tyreSchwalbe G-One Overland
Front axelG068 frameset
Rear axelG068 frameset
PedalsShimano PD-EH500
Front tube
Rear tube
Tubeless (front)
Tubeless (rear)
Cassette spacers?
Cable housingShift cable housinghttps://www.amazon.de/-/en/CTRICALVER-Universal-Bicycle-Replacement-Mountain/dp/B08HGLHHTH

I am building the same bike but using the CWinds frame. They will be releasing an updated G30 U with integrated bars in the next month. I was speaking with them. That’s a decent list of parts. Pretty much exactly what I’m building.

Rolle2k

« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2024, 03:21:03 AM »
Ordered this frame recently on the Ali-sales...
And now i simply wonder - is it necessary to mount a crown race on the fork? Or will it work direct against the bearing? (What decides when this is necessary or not?)
This is my first bike i build from scratch, so hence the question. :)

Will build it with GRX822-SGS and Elitewheels Gravel Edge. Deciding on handlebars right now, looking for either 3T Aeroghiaia or Enve Gravel Handlebars.

andreykv

« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2024, 06:06:33 AM »
Hi!  You need to look at the fork which you bought. Some forks have integrated crown race made of carbon, some forks don't have. If you bought GF-068 fork, you need to mount your own crown race.

Ordered this frame recently on the Ali-sales...
And now i simply wonder - is it necessary to mount a crown race on the fork? Or will it work direct against the bearing? (What decides when this is necessary or not?)
This is my first bike i build from scratch, so hence the question. :)

Will build it with GRX822-SGS and Elitewheels Gravel Edge. Deciding on handlebars right now, looking for either 3T Aeroghiaia or Enve Gravel Handlebars.

Rolle2k

« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2024, 08:25:19 AM »
Hello and thanks..
i bought the G068 fork, so then i'll need a crown race. Will probably order Ritchey bearings since i will user their half integrated stem (Comp Switch) with bearing.
Was thinking to maybe get the Rockshox Rudy 30mm, but well se about that.. actually mostly bike light gravel/pavement so i will probably do better with a solid fork and a secondary set of bigger wheels rather than the extra weight the fork gives.

frnchy

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2024, 10:02:17 PM »

My 650b rims came in about 10 days earlier than I was expecting, so I built them up over the weekend and took them on their first ride today. 34 miles with 3300 feet of climbing; pretty short in absolute terms, but it was a good split of surfaces, about 45% pavement, 35% smooth/slightly washboarded dirt, and 20% jeep doubletrack with lots of rocks. Not a ton of distance or vert, and it is only one ride, but my impressions of a bike rarely change after the first ride so I think I can provide some useful info.

Main thoughts:
  • With tires measuring almost exactly 50 mm, I have 4 mm clearance at the chainstays on each side. I expect the tires to stretch a little bit over time, so it's good to know that if they plump out another 2 mm I'll still have adequate clearance. I didn't bother measuring the front, there's easily >6 mm of room on either side, the fork could probably take a 2.1" tire if it's not too knobby.
  • The total diameter (including tires) of my 650b wheels is about 1 cm less than my 700c wheels; the ~5 mm difference in radius didn't really change handling but did lower the cranks by that much, which is important because I got two or three pedal strikes, even with a decent choice of line so as to avoid the larger rocks. I'll be getting crank boots since my crankarms are carbon. Not really an issue on terrain where you're not trying to navigate through a rock field, but that does make up some of the more fun routes around here so it applies to my use case.
  • Probably due to the far fatter and squarer tire profile, the handling at the front was more sedate than with the 700c wheels; it did take a bit of persuasion to rapidly change direction when I was crawling uphill. No real change with how the rear wheel tracked, though, which was nice. Overall the handling is quite stable but I wouldn't classify it as slack, certainly not on the level of a Stigmata or similarly headtube-angled frames. No problems staying upright the few times that the rear wheel broke traction, which fortunately never happened up front.

Side thoughts:
  • The downtube bottle cage mounts are a bit too far up to fit a 750 ml bottle. I used a bottle cage extender (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805494776538.html but the design is generic) to drop the cage about 2 cm down, which works well. I did drink all of that extra water so it's worth it.
  • I didn't get any chainslap on the way up even as I was bouncing around, but did get a fair amount on the rutted dirt descent, even in the big ring and lower gears in the back. I'll be putting on another layer or two of clear tape on top of the single layer that's already on the chainstay, just for a bit more cushioning.
  • Being able to run a dropper post may be the single biggest advantage this frame has over an actual Canyon Grail. The dropper is pretty much mandatory for the dirt descents I do and I also use it quite a bit to get aero on parts of descents faster than I can spin my 48/11 top gear (i.e. most of any descent). I have the clamping wedge torqued to 7 Nm and the seatpost hasn't slipped at all - I put a ring of silver Sharpie around the base to make sure - which is impressive, considering how fat I am.
  • The rear rim already got a few small nicks from rocks flipping up from under the tire, but I've found with my road rims that a tiny bit of clear nail polish hides such marks on glossy carbon very well.
  • The wheelbuilding process on these rims was quite nice. LightBicycle AM728 rims, i9 Torch rear hub + i9 Solix front hub (Torch hubs are effectively impossible to find now and purple ones simply no longer exist  :'( ), Sapim CX Ray/Sprint front/rear respectively. Was my first time building with alloy nipples, Sapim Double Square, and they performed no different than the brass ones I've used before. The internal square part is easy to fit an internal tool (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802115683590.html) and rotate, which is nice because it allows a spoke holder to keep the bladed spoke aligned without a spoke key in the way.

I'm using the SRAM T47 BB and even though it's nominally for 85.5 shells, I can confirm it works perfectly fine in the 86.5 mm hubshell of this frame. With RED cranks, the fit is absolutely perfect with a 2.5mm driveside spacer and the preload adjuster turned all the way out. My subcompact chainrings sit a little closer to the frame than stock chainrings would, so with a 2 mm driveside spacer you could get some preload adjustment.

Slight amendment; this did work fine but when the chain was on the inner chainring it was like 0.3 mm from the frame, close enough that wax got onto the downtube. I ended up sanding about 0.7 mm off the inner face of the preload adjuster ring and swapped to a 3 mm spacer on the drive side. This bought me ~0.5 mm more clearance, which is good enough. This problem is likely unique to my setup - the Bikingreen chainrings sit further inboard than stock chainrings due to the weirdness needed to fit subcompact rings to a 110 BCD spider.

-----------------------------------------------

Final thoughts, having put ~175 miles of road riding in on this frame with 700c wheels plus this one ride on 650b: this frame is really good at being a road bike, pretty good at being a rough-terrain gravel bike, but it's not a master at either discipline. Where it felt the best was the smoother dirt, and I think it would be absolutely outstanding when ridden on such roads with a set of 700 x ~45 mm tires. Still, it's plenty good enough at fulfilling the dual role I ask of it - a keeper for sure! 

raisinberry777

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2024, 05:36:27 AM »
Thanks for the update - gives me plenty to look forward to.

I'll be using 48mm Tufo Thundero 48 HD tyres on 28mm internal rims - this gives me some comfort then that they should almost definitely fit with just enough room to spare.

mrdimi

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2024, 07:22:22 PM »
Hi new here and looking to build out a gravel bike and this frame has me interested as I'd like UDH. I'm stumped on size as this my first gravel bike, I'm about 178cm and sounds like from the posts here the small size is the way to go.  It would be odd as I mountain bike and am on a large there so was expecting to be a medium road/gravel bike.  Anyone sized one and recommendations?

raisinberry777

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2024, 07:37:13 PM »
Canyon recommends a size S for 172-178cm on their Grail geometry chart (which this is the same as).

Canyon's 'small' is equivalent to a medium/54 in most other brands.

frnchy

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2024, 07:48:38 PM »
Hi new here and looking to build out a gravel bike and this frame has me interested as I'd like UDH. I'm stumped on size as this my first gravel bike, I'm about 178cm and sounds like from the posts here the small size is the way to go.  It would be odd as I mountain bike and am on a large there so was expecting to be a medium road/gravel bike.  Anyone sized one and recommendations?

I'm about 180 cm and the size small is perfect. It weirded me out too, considering both my previous road and gravel bikes are 56 cm frames, but the geometry charts didn't lie. Canyon's sizing, which the 068 copies, is just really weird and skewed larger, especially on this frame. Don't pay attention to the size labels, just the geometry. bikeinsights.com is my preferred geometry comparison site since it has the 068 info in there already, plus most other common frames, so take a look if you have a reference bike that you know fits well.

mrdimi

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2024, 05:13:01 AM »
Thanks to both of you, this frame is looking good and is going for a decent price.  I'm stuck on UDH as I don't want to order something with a hangar I can't replace, granted it's on a MTB but I've totaled a hangar or two in the past.  Not many gravel bikes with UDH.

Engikris

« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2024, 09:24:07 AM »
I am also 179.5cm and I was about to order an M size. According to them, it should be my size. Now I am confused.
Also, it looks like 2.2 wide tires would not fit. I guess I will have to do a hardtail gravel bike afterall.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 09:28:02 AM by Engikris »

JalopnikGo

« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2024, 09:30:36 PM »
I'm around 178cm. After comparing the geometry with my existing bikes, i think i'm going to go with size S.

Anyone have a recommended gravel integrated handlebar? preferably those available in aliexpress.

« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2024, 02:58:06 AM »
Thanks to both of you, this frame is looking good and is going for a decent price.  I'm stuck on UDH as I don't want to order something with a hangar I can't replace, granted it's on a MTB but I've totaled a hangar or two in the past.  Not many gravel bikes with UDH.

Every carbon frame has a replaceable hangar. UDH is just the SRAM developed one for their direct mount derailleurs. Just replaced the one on my G056

mrdimi

« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2024, 06:17:34 AM »
Every carbon frame has a replaceable hangar. UDH is just the SRAM developed one for their direct mount derailleurs. Just replaced the one on my G056

Oh I know, I just like the UDH concept, plus I have a few spares for my MTBs making it a one stop shop and maybe someday I will move over to direct mount SRAM stuff.