Author Topic: ICAN Flyee Frameset  (Read 5621 times)

Blueberry

Re: ICAN Flyee Frameset
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2024, 04:08:33 PM »
Did you get the HB021 with it as well? Will be interesting to see how the build comes along.

No. When I bought the Onirii One frameset earlier this year they sent me the wrong barstem size so I ended up getting a second one. I figured I would just use the original, wrong-size one for this bike even though its a little long for me. ICAN's HB021 barstem doesn't have a lot of size options either. For me their sizes are all either too wide or the stem is too short.

erallen30

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2024, 04:29:14 PM »
No. When I bought the Onirii One frameset earlier this year they sent me the wrong barstem size so I ended up getting a second one. I figured I would just use the original, wrong-size one for this bike even though its a little long for me. ICAN's HB021 barstem doesn't have a lot of size options either. For me their sizes are all either too wide or the stem is too short.

Nice. If you were interested in the HB21 they have more sizes than listed. I asked specifically about a 40cm x 120mm and they said they had it.

Blueberry

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2024, 10:04:55 AM »
sigh* ICAN sent my frame out hella fast and yesterday UPS estimated it would be delivered today but when I checked the tracking today, UPS said the packaged was damaged and they are contacting the seller. I'm guessing they will need to re-ship it :/ Kudos to them for being so fast though. Also, I appreciate UPS contacted them instead of just delivering it to me damaged and making me do the work.

erallen30

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2024, 01:43:41 PM »
sigh* ICAN sent my frame out hella fast and yesterday UPS estimated it would be delivered today but when I checked the tracking today, UPS said the packaged was damaged and they are contacting the seller. I'm guessing they will need to re-ship it :/ Kudos to them for being so fast though. Also, I appreciate UPS contacted them instead of just delivering it to me damaged and making me do the work.

Damn that sucks. Hope it all ends well.

bremerradkurier

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2024, 02:11:37 PM »
Brand and model name really gives off R Kelly cringe.

PLA

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2024, 04:33:33 PM »
yellow would be a suitable colour
It’s so clearly a LARP of an aero bike.

sid astig

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2024, 05:15:13 PM »
Did anyone receive their Flyee yet? I curious to hear your thoughts on ride quality and dynamics.

jonathanf2

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2024, 12:13:07 PM »
I like this frame if I were looking for an all-arounder. Though for a climbing frame, the ICAN FL1 frameset (Aethos clone) is cheaper and weighs 100g less. It has almost the same features of T47 BB, 32c tire clearance, but no UDH. Also ICAN customer service seems pretty good. I would definitely consider buying from them in the future.

Blueberry

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2024, 03:15:24 PM »
FLYEE FRAME:
After a bit of a delay, I just got the frame. UPS sent the damaged one back (it was never delivered to me, plus it was nice not to having to deal with a broken frame) and ICAN sent a replacement. Shipping was $128 USD to California but they do ship very fast, it only took a few days.

THE BAD:
They did not face the BB or disc caliper mounts. Also the seatpost cradle is made of carbon, not a huge fan of that. I'd prefer they make it from aluminum even if it adds some weight. Might try to find a different seatpost.

The biggest issue is the front thru axle, I'm going to need to contact ICAN about it. I removed the front thru axle from the fork and it was way too tight in there. When I got it out, I could see the very first thread is stripped. Those threads in the fork will need to be tapped. When I tried to put the axle back in with grease it was taking way too much torque still and I decided not to force it. So... as is, it's unusable. Also the front axle has a 1.5mm thread pitch while the rear has a 1mm pitch which is a little weird. It would be nice if they were the same. (Rear axle threads are good, no complaints there).

THE GOOD:
The seatpost's fit into the seat tube seems decent. It is tight enough that it does not slide on it's own but it also does not scratch it or take a ton of effort to move it up and down. The little clamping wedge seems nice, no burs or anything. I like that the screw is at an angle so it's easier to access.

Paint looks nice. And from what little I can see, the carbon looks pretty smooth on the inside.

I haven't had a chance to weigh frame parts yet but I'll try to come back with weights later today or tomorrow.

FL38 MAX WHEELS:
test rode them on a different bike and they felt fine, no complaints. I put them in the truing stand and was just eyeballing it but the dishing, truing, and roundness all looked to be within less than half a millimeter. I weighted them and the scale said they were exactly 1300.0g (untaped). The tape they sent with the wheels kept tearing so I ended up using some DT Swiss tape I had lying around. Apparently the DT Swiss tape is heavier. I weight an ICAN taped wheel and a DT swiss taped wheel. The DT swiss tape added about 15g compared to 8g with the ICAN tape.

Overall I hoped for slightly better quality from ICAN but I'm optimistic that once everything is put together it will all work fine and the issues will not be noticeable to anyone who did not build the bike.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 03:41:07 PM by Blueberry »

Blueberry

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2024, 03:17:59 PM »
Here's a couple pictures

Blueberry

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2024, 10:07:51 AM »
WEIGHTS
Frame (M/52) - 880g with all bottle cage bolts and FD mount
Fork - 362g uncut
Thru Axles - 32g front, 50g rear
Seatpost - 140g, 400mm long. Very light for how long it is, I'm still sketched out by the carbon yoke. I'll look for an alternative.
Seatpost Wedge with Rubber Cap - 24g
Expander Plug - 38g
Headset Bearings - 64g for the pair.
Top Cap + Bolt - 14g
FD Mount with two bolts - 12g

erallen30

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2024, 04:26:32 PM »
FLYEE FRAME:
After a bit of a delay, I just got the frame. UPS sent the damaged one back (it was never delivered to me, plus it was nice not to having to deal with a broken frame) and ICAN sent a replacement. Shipping was $128 USD to California but they do ship very fast, it only took a few days.

THE BAD:
They did not face the BB or disc caliper mounts. Also the seatpost cradle is made of carbon, not a huge fan of that. I'd prefer they make it from aluminum even if it adds some weight. Might try to find a different seatpost.

The biggest issue is the front thru axle, I'm going to need to contact ICAN about it. I removed the front thru axle from the fork and it was way too tight in there. When I got it out, I could see the very first thread is stripped. Those threads in the fork will need to be tapped. When I tried to put the axle back in with grease it was taking way too much torque still and I decided not to force it. So... as is, it's unusable. Also the front axle has a 1.5mm thread pitch while the rear has a 1mm pitch which is a little weird. It would be nice if they were the same. (Rear axle threads are good, no complaints there).

THE GOOD:
The seatpost's fit into the seat tube seems decent. It is tight enough that it does not slide on it's own but it also does not scratch it or take a ton of effort to move it up and down. The little clamping wedge seems nice, no burs or anything. I like that the screw is at an angle so it's easier to access.

Paint looks nice. And from what little I can see, the carbon looks pretty smooth on the inside.

I haven't had a chance to weigh frame parts yet but I'll try to come back with weights later today or tomorrow.

FL38 MAX WHEELS:
test rode them on a different bike and they felt fine, no complaints. I put them in the truing stand and was just eyeballing it but the dishing, truing, and roundness all looked to be within less than half a millimeter. I weighted them and the scale said they were exactly 1300.0g (untaped). The tape they sent with the wheels kept tearing so I ended up using some DT Swiss tape I had lying around. Apparently the DT Swiss tape is heavier. I weight an ICAN taped wheel and a DT swiss taped wheel. The DT swiss tape added about 15g compared to 8g with the ICAN tape.

Overall I hoped for slightly better quality from ICAN but I'm optimistic that once everything is put together it will all work fine and the issues will not be noticeable to anyone who did not build the bike.

Bike looks really nice. Too bad about the front fork threads. Hopefully that can be rectified somehow. Bearing races and paint look really good.

erallen30

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2024, 04:28:03 PM »
WEIGHTS
Fork - 362g uncut
Seatpost - 140g, 400mm long. Very light for how long it is, I'm still sketched out by the carbon yoke. I'll look for an alternative.
Expander Plug - 38g
Top Cap + Bolt - 14g

Nice to see the compression plug come with a metal spring instead of a stupid rubber o-ring that breaks on first install.

erallen30

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2024, 04:32:26 PM »
WEIGHTS
Fork - 362g uncut
Expander Plug - 38g
Top Cap + Bolt - 14g

Looks like you'd only need a new front axle, no? That stripped thread is what is making it difficult to turn.

erallen30

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2024, 04:34:35 PM »
FLYEE FRAME:

THE BAD:

THE GOOD:

FL38 MAX WHEELS:

Is it usual to face BB shell with T47?