Author Topic: Workswell WCB-M-062  (Read 235411 times)

bxcc

Re: Workswell WCB-M-062
« Reply #210 on: December 02, 2015, 03:28:25 PM »
4 x .7 is what you need. As far as length goes, a 10mm one might stick out a couple of threads. 8 or 10 should be fine either way depending on what you can find. I might do the same as the front fork has the same screw and I would rather not snap that one off as the fork itself is threaded. With the back, at least a new dropout would fix the problem.

I also have a couple of rides with it in "chubby girl" mode. I'm definitely liking it better versus the 29x2.2 tires on 18mm wide rims. The ride seems about the same but there is quite a bit more give. I would still like to try it with some wide 29er wheels with 30mm rims. So now is the big question, do I keep it or sell it for Workswell's plus size frame. I know that that will require new wheels but if I plan on keeping it as a chubby bike, new wheels are inevitable. The only downside is that I would need some new wheels for gravel grinding as the current 29 wheels obviously aren't boost size.

My wife says my combination of being a tweaker and a gear junkie is killing my savings....

RS VR6

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:55:12 PM by RS VR6 »

bxcc

« Reply #212 on: December 02, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »
Exactly like the eBay one. Yes it's a M4x0.7 then whatever length you like. I pulled mine out and there is roughly 3/8" (9.5mm) of threads with 1 or 2 threads still showing. IF you want it completely hidden, you may want to look for a 8mm one.

RS VR6

« Reply #213 on: December 02, 2015, 07:12:13 PM »
I ordered these from McMaster-Carr.  ;D

Conformable Soft Nylon-Tip Set Screw, Alloy Steel, M4 X 0.7 Thread, 8MM Long, packs of 5

I'll see how it works out.

Thanks again!

RS VR6

« Reply #214 on: December 05, 2015, 04:10:43 PM »
Looks like I could have went shorter. Don't matter...it looks much nicer and the grub screw doesn't feel like its waiting to be stripped.

RS VR6

« Reply #215 on: December 05, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »

I also have a couple of rides with it in "chubby girl" mode. I'm definitely liking it better versus the 29x2.2 tires on 18mm wide rims. The ride seems about the same but there is quite a bit more give. I would still like to try it with some wide 29er wheels with 30mm rims. So now is the big question, do I keep it or sell it for Workswell's plus size frame. I know that that will require new wheels but if I plan on keeping it as a chubby bike, new wheels are inevitable. The only downside is that I would need some new wheels for gravel grinding as the current 29 wheels obviously aren't boost size.

My wife says my combination of being a tweaker and a gear junkie is killing my savings....

If you go with 30mm ID hoops...you can drop the air pressure. Not sure if thats good or bad. Good it'll be more plush and more traction...but won't it also slow you down? I know that once I hit pavement...I can really feel the drag of the tires and low pressure.

bxcc

« Reply #216 on: December 06, 2015, 05:55:21 PM »
Much better on the retaining screw. Good thing you didn't go with the 10mm. Look at the bright side, at least my thread pitch measurement was accurate.  8)

As far as the hoops go, that is what I am debating about. My 27.5 wheels are Nextie 30mm internal rims and I love them on the trail bike. I put the 2.8 Trailblazer tires on those and threw them on the HT. So the big decision is 1) 30mm internal 29er wheels with 2.2 tires, or 2) 36mm internal 27.5 wheels with a 3" tire. Going with a 3" tire will probably require me to get the Workswell Plus size frame. Either way, I need a new wheelset, wide 29ers or plus size 27.5.

Anyone want to buy a 29er frame??????  ;D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:57:08 PM by bxcc »

RS VR6

« Reply #217 on: December 07, 2015, 08:53:33 PM »
I think I'd just up the ante and build a 650+ full suspension. ;D ;D

That's what I'm contemplating now.  :o

xcbarny

« Reply #218 on: December 15, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
So I was about to service the headset on my road bike, but then this arrived.

Took a bit over a week to arrive. Quality looks good. Unfortunately it came with a BB installed, when I told them I needed PF30 so that I could fit an EBB. I don't have the proper tool to remove it.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:25:43 PM by xcbarny »
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

RS VR6

« Reply #219 on: December 15, 2015, 05:06:29 PM »
Pics not working broham.  ;D

xcbarny

« Reply #220 on: December 15, 2015, 05:26:04 PM »
Can you see em now?
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

xcbarny

« Reply #221 on: December 15, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »

I wanted to see how it would look with wheels and fork on, so I got a bit carried away with a late night build.

First I got stuck into the rear brake, as I knew it could be problematic. First I tried threading it through from the calliper. I tried for about half an hour, then gave up. My method was to put a gear cable that I'd threaded through from the front, into the hose, then use that to guide it through. I could get the hose right next to the guide tube in the frame, but couldn't get it to line up well enough to push it through.

So I then did a search around my spare parts to see if I had another spare olive and nozzle so that I cut cut the hose at the calliper end, and thread that through. Luckily I did, so I was able to easily thread the hose through the frame from the front to the back. Luckily I'm running older XT 775 brakes that don't have a banjo at the calliper end. I've no idea how you'd get new XTR or Xts through - I guess you'd need a new banjo?

To prevent hose rattle, I thought I'd use a few stips of the packaging material, taped to the hose:

We'll see how long that lasts!

xcbarny

« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2015, 06:28:59 PM »
The Chris King Singlespeed hub I'll be using is a bolt on one. The Fun Bolts that Chris king uses are a bit big for the frame.
I had to tap a file to the rear dropout to get the wheel to slide in, and the head of the bolts don't fit properly into the recess in the dropout

So I may have to take a file to the bolts, or maybe get a 10mm rear qr.

xcbarny

« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2015, 06:41:40 PM »
So then I just threw the forks and wheels on to see how it'll look

I pretty confident that this is going to be one sexy bike. I love the flat / ovalised shaping on the top tube and seat stays. i'm not sure if that is how a Stumpjumper looks, or if Workswell has done any design themselves. I usually don't pay much attention to specialized, after their prices sky rocketed.

I have a fair bit more work to do. Not sure yet how I'll get the BB cups out, and i'm still waiting on the EBB to arrive from BikeWagon. Hopefully I'll have it all together by chistmas, and I can get some rides on it over the break.

RS VR6

« Reply #224 on: December 15, 2015, 07:36:04 PM »
Pics work now.  :D

The gloss looks great!

The brake hose routing was the biggest pain in the ass for me. It took me all afternoon to get that hose through the tube inside the frame. I'm using the M785 brakes and the caliper uses a banjo fitting...no way to run the hose from the front. I've been thinking about switching my XT brakes out just for the sake of trying something different...but the process of routing the hose is keeping me from doing that.

Wrapping the packing material around the hose is a smart idea. I may give that a shot if I ever get around to switching to 11sp.

You can always take it to a bike shop to have the BB removed?

The top tube at the headtube junction is pretty wide. The tubes on my Pivot and Cervelo look puny compared to the 062.

You going to run the stem slammed?  ;D