Author Topic: Elon Musk/Tesla/Space X  (Read 8529 times)

Sitar_Ned

Elon Musk/Tesla/Space X
« on: May 30, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »
Over the past 6-12 months I've been quite intrigued by the innovations and ideas pushed forward by Elon Musk and company. Not only are the technical implications of Tesla and Planet X awesome, profound, and insanely interesting.. but it's also also great to watch this guy commit and execute on such huge ideas.. overcome the odds.. push human technology forward significantly.. and just just in general becoming a poster boy for human achievement and spirit.

Good stuff.

Made this thread to chronicle and discuss the topic.

Latest is the unveiling of the "Dragon V2" designed to shuttle 7 passengers to the space station.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/may/30/elon-musk-unveils-dragon-v2-spacecraft-for-seven-astronuants

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 03:38:11 PM by Sitar_Ned »

manmythlegend

Re: Elon Musk/Tesla/Space X
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 04:49:26 PM »
He's going to have a much harder time than he should. His attitude rubs everyone the wrong way and he seems to be trying way too hard to be Steve Jobs. That said he does have some great momentum with Tesla, the battery plant they have planned alone is impressive.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 05:33:46 PM »
Yeah.. I can see where you're coming from and can agree to a certain extent BUT the guy is trying to change the energy industry.. oil and gas.. You've got to have some tenacity and ego to even make a dent in that sector. Point it.. his current success is in large part due to his polarizing personality, not despite it. Only opinion of course, and I may be wrong but I just think that some meek, humble, personality wouldn't be able to lead such an endeavor very effectively.

I'm sure you could dig up countless examples of the opposite of my point but hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

manmythlegend

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
Definitely thus far , I think he may hit more walls as he becomes a threat though. The whole situation with Jersey was from what I read a result of his attitude more than anything. Its not like silicon valley where product alone can amass you what you need. I wont judge him yet , maybe he's just playing the needed roles and will adapt.
I just want a darn battery that wont die in a day :-)

Rigid_Bloke

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:52 PM »
Even if he's assuming the role or psyching himself up to achieve great things.. don't think you really come back from that lol. You become it. Fake it til you become it.

Either way I like the guy and am also interested to see how this all unfolds. Will definitely be something to watch over the coming years. The race to the moon of our generation, so to speak.

Oolak

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 02:16:25 AM »
Thought this was pretty cool.. The guy that writes for the site TheOatmeal.com is trying to get a Nikola Tesla museum going and Musk just donated a cool 1 million to the project.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/musk_tesla_museum

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:23:58 AM by Oolak »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 06:06:34 PM »
Thought this was pretty cool.. The guy that writes for the site TheOatmeal.com is trying to get a Nikola Tesla museum going and Musk just donated a cool 1 million to the project.

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/musk_tesla_museum

Makes sense since Elon Musk is using the Tesla name for his electric cars.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Oolak

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:02:21 PM »
This company is going to be huge imo. Here's their latest model P85D. 

Must buy stock.

Oolak

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 12:14:37 PM »
Man, I hate to be such an Elon fanboy but this dude is just ridiculous. Now he's considering a venture to launch satellites that provide low cost internet to the entire world. Talk about a power play.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/08/wsj-elon-musk-internet-satellite/

« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:18:14 PM by Oolak »

Vipassana

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
I heard a funny thought the other day on Reddit:

What if Elon Musk is really just an alien trapped on earth trying to advance human technology to the point where he can finally go home?

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »
Man, I hate to be such an Elon fanboy

I feel the same, lol. That said.. electric cars, space travel, and cheap internet to the entire world? Oh yeah.. and PayPal.. Pretty impressive.

cmh

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 05:56:11 PM »
I heard a funny thought the other day on Reddit:

What if Elon Musk is really just an alien trapped on earth trying to advance human technology to the point where he can finally go home?

LMFAO!  I LOVE IT! :D

He's just doling it out in little dribs and drabs so we think he's a genius but not TOO much that we're like o_O wait wut?

Hey, whatevz, if this progress includes stuff that makes biking better, then by all means, let's hel Elon get home! :D

jannmayer

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2021, 10:29:24 PM »
Interesting visiting this thread after so long. Seems like every other car in my neighborhood is a Tesla, and 20% of all satellites ever launched are SpaceX Starlink. It's absolutely crazy what Elon has accomplished.

It's also amazing how much of his success is due to the relentless focus on manufacturability. Both Tesla and SpaceX have been able to do what they've done by focusing on how make things cheaper. It's going to be interesting to see what happens with the Starship.