Author Topic: My daugthers racing mountain bike, CS-136  (Read 15784 times)

cmh

Re: My daugthers racing mountain bike, CS-136
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2016, 01:53:03 PM »
I hate to say this, but that printing on the bar is exactly the same as the one bar I got from Peter. Possibly same factory?

Also, what's with the electrical tape? Looks like it's already on the new bar as well.

MTB2223

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:05 PM »
Also, what's with the electrical tape? Looks like it's already on the new bar as well.
During the races she rides, she's riding with a number plate attached to the handlebar with try raps. The tape is to prevent scratches from the ty raps. We're careful with our bikes ;)

cmh

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
During the races she rides, she's riding with a number plate attached to the handlebar with try raps. The tape is to prevent scratches from the ty raps. We're careful with our bikes ;)

Wow, Grace runs number plates, with just about a race every weekend during the summer - I've never bothered with tape to protect the bars, and can't say I've noticed any scratches. I'd be more annoyed by the residue the electrical tape leaves behind - unless you change it regularly.

In retrospect you've gotta admit it's pretty funny protecting the outside of a bar that failed from the inside.  ;D

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2016, 06:57:25 AM »
Hmm.. I think I'll follow the advice in this thread.. going to buy chiner frame, rims and seat and name brand seat post and bars.

Good info being shared here, thanks guys. And glad your daughter is ok!

This is precisely what I'd recommend. Good call. You'll still save a ton of money doing it this way. So far, there seems to be no extra risk incurred with the seats, frames, fork, and rims. I'm not confident in saying the same for the seat post and handlebars.

Just my 2 cents. I am by no means some type of carbon expert.

I hate to say this, but that printing on the bar is exactly the same as the one bar I got from Peter. Possibly same factory?

Would be good info if we could get confirmation they are indeed from the same factory.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:16:30 PM by Sitar_Ned »

karstenhorn

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2016, 10:25:17 AM »
Damn, I just put a Chinese carbon bar on my brand new 036, I think that I'm going to play safe and buy a known brand after this information - Thanks for sharing and so good that daughter is ok !

Karsten

SportingGoods

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 03:04:03 AM »
That's a serious concern... I agree with the trend here. No Chiner bars for me. I don't even trust 100% my branded carbon bar. But Aluminum is no better, they nicely break too :)
Still, you need a serious flaw in the manufacturing/design of this bar to break with a 43 kg rider and at 660 mm length.

I also own 2 carbon rigid forks (Chiner), and don't have 100% trust in them, even though they really look solid. Well, if I really think about it I don't have 100% trust in any carbon part, chiner or not. A friend of mine just got his FS carbon frame replaced because it started to break around the BB, and it is a top brand.

MTB2223

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 03:33:35 AM »
Damn, I just put a Chinese carbon bar on my brand new 036, I think that I'm going to play safe and buy a known brand after this information - Thanks for sharing and so good that daughter is ok !

Karsten
I'm riding my chinese AliExpress bar for almost 2 yrs, no issue so far. This one is proven to be good, after a lot of rides and 'abuse'.
But maybe I had to test the bar of my daugther before mounting it. But what should be a good test ? Find a bough and hang on the handlebar with your full weight and try to brake it ?