Author Topic: Deals to help each other for parts  (Read 8733 times)

brmeyer135

brmeyer135

Re: Deals to help each other for parts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
A list of good stores for deals would be helpful also.

Wiggle and Merlincycles are pretty good prices and ship to US for free.

Masherz has a perpetuating 20% - have to search through their inventory bc prices are overall higher.
I bought my Stan's ZTR crest rims for 75.00 each and with bike hub store hubs, Sapim laser spokes, a local wheel builder have crest wheels for about 480.00 and weigh 1500grams

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:07:40 AM »
Hey guys.. Thanks for getting this going. I just came across some XTR deals on Price Point this morning and was thinking about how CD and I had discussed starting a section specifically for deals.

So.. I'll do just that and relocate this thread to the new board - One thing I may consider doing is just renaming the "Component Selection" board to something like "Component Deals and Selection"

That way a new thread could be dedicated to each sale or deal and it would much easier to skim through all of the titles and find what you want.. rather than it being put all in one thread and more difficult to navigate. Plus.. these deals tend to come and go so having it all in one thread means that people have to scroll through a bunch of deals that are no longer active in order to find the ones they want. With it being in it's own board, and with the way threads cycle through based on age and activity.. just works better that way, imo.

Then I could also also make a sticky thread that contained a list of the best stores, much like the list of vendors in the "Vendor Discussion and Reviews" board.

What do you guys think about that?

I appreciate the input!

EDIT: Brmeyer, I just noticed you linked to the very same XTR deal I referred to. I think we're all on Price Point's emailing list. lol.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 11:15:46 AM by Sitar_Ned »

MTB2223

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:01:45 PM »
That way a new thread could be dedicated to each sale or deal and it would much easier to skim through all of the titles and find what you want.. rather than it being put all in one thread and more difficult to navigate. Plus.. these deals tend to come and go so having it all in one thread means that people have to scroll through a bunch of deals that are no longer active in order to find the ones they want. With it being in it's own board, and with the way threads cycle through based on age and activity.. just works better that way, imo.

Then I could also also make a sticky thread that contained a list of the best stores, much like the list of vendors in the "Vendor Discussion and Reviews" board.

What do you guys think about that?
I agree.
And we can give some reviews/comments on that deals.

brmeyer135

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 09:19:52 AM »
Sounds good to me, another idea is an area or section where one could post stuff they want to get rid of.
This may be opening a can of worms...probably limit it in some way.
Maybe 1 posting per month.
I personally might post something and if no interest move to craigslist, elsewhere.

brmeyer135

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
Question to MTB2223,
Have you ordered those disc brakes and, if so, found them to be decent quality....unwarped, sized correctly, holes line up and so on?

MTB2223

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »
Question to MTB2223,
Have you ordered those disc brakes and, if so, found them to be decent quality....unwarped, sized correctly, holes line up and so on?
Yes, I ordered those disc brakes. The quality looks great. I haven't used them, I'm waiting for my frame. I'll paint the inner side of the discs red, like the color of my hubs.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »
Sounds good to me, another idea is an area or section where one could post stuff they want to get rid of.
This may be opening a can of worms...probably limit it in some way.
Maybe 1 posting per month.
I personally might post something and if no interest move to craigslist, elsewhere.

Hmm - Okay, let's flesh this out..

I'll combine the board "Wheels, Forks, Handlebars, Seatposts, Etc." and "Component Selection" into one and name it "Component Deals and Selection". This keeps all the "What stem/post/cranks should I get" questions left in one board. Not sure why I had them separated in the first place. As soon as you guys started making new threads in those boards, i noticed the confusion.

THEN - and indeed this may be opening a can of worms lol, but the forum is still currently small and easy to moderate, and I'd like to have some type of marketplace myself.. Thinking about selling these brand new Charger Expert wheels I've got. I've been putting off messing with craigslist and eBay to sell stuff for a long time.. Not sure why, just don't want to mess with it. If I needed the cash then sure - I'd jump over to eBay right now. Point is.. It'd be a lot easier to try new stuff and upgrade components if I could buy, sell, and trade MTB components with the people that I spend time discussing... MTB components with.. on a forum that I'm always on anyways.

I'm game.

I'll start a "Buy, Sell, and Trade" board and see how it goes. Maybe, in time, we could buy carbon parts directly from the Chinese suppliers right here on the board. Have the vendors bring us the information. Sell us on their product, service, and prices.. They aren't currently required to spend money advertising the way big name brand companies are.. so they should at least have to do a lil virtual "door to door selling" amiright?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 11:56:11 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »
SN posted this in another thread.

Smokin' deal if you need a 100mm stem.

http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Easton/Easton-Haven-Stem-2012.axd
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
Here is a steal of a deal if you need MTB shoes.  This online retailer is selling a pair of Scott Team Issue Race shoes, retail $309, sale price $122.  I talked to my friend at the LBS who is a Scott Dealer and he is telling me this is cheaper than the store can buy them.  Shipping was $20.50 so for $142 you can get a top of the line MTB shoe.

They have 4 sizes available, 43, 44, 45, 46.

They also have the Scott Boa shoe for $73, that's $110 off!

http://www.djbennett.com/mens-sportswear/shop-by-sport/cycling-apparel.html
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Oolak

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
Here is a steal of a deal if you need MTB shoes.  This online retailer is selling a pair of Scott Team Issue Race shoes, retail $309, sale price $122.  I talked to my friend at the LBS who is a Scott Dealer and he is telling me this is cheaper than the store can buy them.  Shipping was $20.50 so for $142 you can get a top of the line MTB shoe.

They have 4 sizes available, 43, 44, 45, 46.

They also have the Scott Boa shoe for $73, that's $110 off!

http://www.djbennett.com/mens-sportswear/shop-by-sport/cycling-apparel.html

Nice find! Def ordering a pair.

Not as great of a deal but I just snagged these cutters for $12: http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Titan/Titan-Cable-and-Housing-Cutter.axd

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 01:18:29 PM »
I put my order in for a pair of the Team Issue shoes in size 45. hope they fit.  The shopping cart was a bit hokey but I did get an email confirming my order.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 06:51:22 AM »
Received my Scott Team Issue MTB shoes, they are very nice!  Great deal on those shoes, basically 60% off!

UPDATE:  I was told by the LBS that Scott Sports called DJBennett.com and laid the smack down on them for selling the Scott shoes so cheap, the webiste now shows retail pricing for both the Scott shoes they are selling.  So, the deal is gone!

Here is another deal, Amazon has Shimano XT brakes "front or rear" for $67.  This is about 40% off, seems like a mistake in how the price is listed.  Not sure what you get when you choose "Front or Rear" from the pull down but they would probably send two of the same brakes, you would just need to either shorten the brake line for both brakes or replace one of the short lines with a longer one.  Either way, you might get a set of Shimano XT brakes for $134!

Here is the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Deore-XT-Brakes-BR-M785-L/dp/B00IPTWGU0/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_i
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:52:05 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

brmeyer135

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
FORMULA MEGA brake deal
http://www.merlincycles.com/formula-mega-front-rear-disc-brake-set-inc-rotors-71991.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MTB+07+July+-+Newsletter-2014-07-10+15%3A00%3A00&emst=MD11FiAami_4480_997257_17

Code: FORMULA-MEGA
The MEGA uses a beefed up version of our 2 pcs caliper, but with 24mm diameter caliper pistons. Lots of power and an amazing value, this brake is the perfect brake if you want the performance of our high-end DH brakes at an entry level cost.

Features:

Radial master cylinder.
Patent-pending high capacity, integrated reservoir.
Removable handlebar clamp.
Flip-flop master cylinder assembly.
2-piece off-set caliper body. 24mm caliper pistons.
Bottom vented caliper pistons and top vented caliper body for fast heat dissipation.
Top mounting pads for quick pad changes.
Post mount style w/adapters
Supplied with 180mm rotors front and rear, 6 bolt fitting
Supplied ready bled, ready to fit
180mm post mount front, 180mm IS mount rear. Will fit other mounts wit the correct bracket