Author Topic: Shopping experiences with bike24.com?  (Read 6026 times)

cmh

Shopping experiences with bike24.com?
« on: February 24, 2016, 09:44:48 AM »
Hey all-

Doing a rebuild on the rear wheel for my bike - it came with DT Revolutions and a 380 gram rim, which was a pretty bad combination for a 220lb (100kg) rider. Broke three spokes in one ride, so knew I needed to rebuild. Was kicking around the decision between the more durable bladed CX-Ray or the heavier round Competition, and thought it'd be pretty cool if I could do the build with the DT Aero Comp. Where the Sapim CX-Ray or DT Aerolite are basically the thin 2.0/1.5mm Sapim Laser / DT Revolution with the 1.5mm center section formed to a blade, the Aero Comp is based on the heavier 2.0/1.8mm spoke, formed into an oval profile which would still fit through a 2.5mm spoke hole. The forming process increases the fatigue life of the CX-Ray, so the same should be true of the Aero Comp.

What's any of this have to do with the subject - shopping experiences with bike24.com? Well, they've been the only place that even lists the straight-pull version of the Aero Comp, and even have them in stock, and for less than I would have guessed.

I know many folks share links from there, and a couple folks say they've got good prices (which I can confirm based on this one thing) but just wanted to make sure that they're good and worth going with.

Thanks for all input!

maui400

Re: Shopping experiences with bike24.com?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 09:59:43 AM »
I just know the german version - bike24.de. They are pretty big in Germany. Seems to be the same company. I've ordered there several times. No issues.

MTB2223

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 11:07:21 AM »
Just one order at bike24.com. No problem. Two items weren't on stock, so they wanted to send them later to me (without extra shipping costs). But after two months, still not on stock, I asked a refund and I've got my money back within a week. Really good company and good communications.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »
I just know the german version - bike24.de. They are pretty big in Germany. Seems to be the same company. I've ordered there several times. No issues.

Yeah, once I switched the nation and language, looks like the same exact page. Cool - thanks! Thought they were pretty big but haven't dealt with them before.

cmh

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:17:11 AM »
Ugh. Went back to the site and they'd emptied out my cart. I hate sites that do that. How hard are cookies? Why the hell does my cart need to be emptied out when I don't order stuff immediately? That's usually enough of an annoyance that I just close the site and shop elsewhere, but since they're the only ones who have the spokes I'm looking for, I'm make angry noises here instead.  ;D

MTB2223

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:21:06 AM »
When visiting the site, first choose your country. So you've the right prices (with the right taxes).

cmh

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 11:36:33 AM »
When visiting the site, first choose your country. So you've the right prices (with the right taxes).

Yeah, saw that - changing from Germany to the US significantly dropped the prices on the spokes - and that's a good thing because they're showing 19.95 euros for shipping! Still, the prices on those spokes are still lower than I would have expected, so the grand total is not too bad - still not a deal breaker.

karstenhorn

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »
I'm from Europe and I have bought tons of stuff from them over time and most of what I put on my 036 is also from them. Huge stock, quick and cheap shipping, good to answer questions - I would soy one of the best cycling stores in Europe for sure - Them and Chain Reaction Cycles are my absolute favourites.

Karsten 

cmh

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 11:50:38 AM »
I'm from Europe and I have bought tons of stuff from them over time and most of what I put on my 036 is also from them. Huge stock, quick and cheap shipping, good to answer questions - I would soy one of the best cycling stores in Europe for sure - Them and Chain Reaction Cycles are my absolute favourites.

Awesome, thank you! Chain Reaction supplied all the XTR M9000 on my wife's bike and was great to deal with.

Did you hear that Wiggle bought Chain Reaction? Pretty huge merger in the bike industry. Wonder what that will wind up meaning in the long run.

Joelk

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 12:56:09 PM »
I have also placed a few orders with Bike24.com with good results.  It is where I buy Sapim spokes from, however, I did note that their prices on Sapim went up a little around the first of the year.

Also, when I order black CXray spokes from them they come with black AL nipples, making it an even better deal if you are going to use AL nipples.

cmh

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 02:38:13 PM »
I have also placed a few orders with Bike24.com with good results.  It is where I buy Sapim spokes from, however, I did note that their prices on Sapim went up a little around the first of the year.

Also, when I order black CXray spokes from them they come with black AL nipples, making it an even better deal if you are going to use AL nipples.

I normally build with Sapim spokes, albeit from bikehubstore.com - but I'm really curious about these DT Aero Comps - like heavier duty Aerolite/CX-Rays for those of us stouter of build. :D

carbonazza

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 04:11:31 PM »
Ugh. Went back to the site and they'd emptied out my cart.

Yeah... crappy experience.
Once you identify yourself you can add items in your wish list.
And then you can pick items from your wish list to the cart.
Why not simply remember my cart ? :)

But for the shop, service, some prices, etc. they are great.

cmh

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2016, 05:53:35 PM »
Excellent idea, carbonazza, thanks! Would need to register anyway when I place the order. Registered up and saved the spokes in my shopping cart.

bxcc

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2016, 08:00:04 PM »
The wheels on my WW 062 frame have the Aero Comp spokes. Cosmetically, I like them a lot. Other than that, they are spokes and they have held up fine for my 180 pounds and the 300 miles or so that I have put on them. I did not build them or have them built, they were new take offs from a Scott bike. X470 rims, 350 straight pull hubs, and the AeroComp spokes. All total they're right around 1730 grams if I remember correctly.

karstenhorn

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 05:20:58 AM »

Did you hear that Wiggle bought Chain Reaction? Pretty huge merger in the bike industry. Wonder what that will wind up meaning in the long run.

I have heard the rumour as well but not yet seen solid proof that they did buy CRC - However if they did, it will be sad for all of us as Wiggle always have been the most expensive and especially their shipping sucks. I hate when big companies kind of gain monopole within a branch :( Bike24 is very often the cheapest of them all and have very good deals most of the time and even as a Dane they are my preferred shop. As a matter of fact I have a Truativ GXP BB coming my way from them right now :D