Author Topic: My FM-057 Build Thread.  (Read 56879 times)

Sitar_Ned

Re: My FM-057 Build Thread.
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2014, 07:55:00 PM »
So I was originally planning to go with Maxxis Ikon 2.35 front and rear until a fellow Chinertown resident turned me on to a sweet deal at ArtsCyclery.com on some Geax Saguaros.. Thread is here for those that want to read some additional thoughts on the tyres: http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,27.0.html

I will say that the tyres look sweet, were just the tread pattern and volume I was looking for and were a great price so I'm pumped about getting them.. but these things were pretty ridiculous to get on the rim. I had read some online warnings about the Saguaros before I got them so I had some idea of what I was getting myself into, but considering this is the very first time I've mounted a tire on a rim of any kind.. I actually had no idea.

Once I got my method down, learned to liberal with the soapy water, things did get a little more hopeful. But I ended up having to out the tyres in the oven for about 3-5 minutes on a temp of about 100 degrees before I finally won that battle.

Was worth it.. Really like these tyres. Haven't ridden them yet so I guess I should say that I really like the characteristics of this tire thus far. Oh yeah, plus they're cheap.

results of the battle:

Build is progressing a bit slower than I'd like but I mostly expected that. I will absolutely, if it's the last thing I do.. Have this bike built and ridden by this weekend. Going to cut the forks tonight. Then it's drive train set up time, already ran the cables and mounted shifter and deralleur  Then... well.. I think that may actually be it. 

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:52:29 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2014, 08:39:28 PM »
Tires look really good, glad you like them!
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2014, 11:40:39 PM »
Fork is now cut and headset, grips, levers, and cables all installed! A few more days and she'll be all done.

It's actually an easy job to do. If you're entirely new at this, then I'd advise you to simply go long on the first cut. Put two 10mm spacers under them stem and cut using that as your starting point. I'm glad I did it this way because it allowed me to become familiar with actually doing the process, and as a result, my second and permanent (for now) cut was much better than my first sort of test run.

One thing to pay attention to is making sure the star nut is centered as perfectly as you can get it. I apparently didn't do that the first time and it was causing my headset and stem to load (compress together) unevenly. At least, I assume that was the cause. After hammering in the star nut, go ahead and screw in the bolt and use it as a reference as to how centered the star nut is. Makes it far easier to gauge. I also found that it helped to hold the bike from underneath where the fork and headtube meet while tightening down the headset cap.

Couple of vids that I referenced. There are lots of polished vids out there but they're usually using some kind of tool I don't have, so these more home made videos have been more useful for me.

I used this guys method of using two spacers to determine where to cut:

I actually don't recommend doing it like this guy but I mean it works just fine. He never even removes the fork. How he uses and old headset screw to hammer down the star nut seems like it would work pretty well.. but I didn't have one so a small screw driver worked just fine. And if you don't have a bike stand, this may work for you.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:54:07 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2014, 11:59:21 PM »
I gotta admit.. I feel a bit like a corn ball for doing this but I just ordered a helmet that perfectly matches my bike. Fox flux:

I don't know.. brightly colored, patterned helmets just aren't my thing but I think this one is just understated enough to avoid the corn ball feeling I have learned to associate with bike helmets. Maybe not.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:45:38 PM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2014, 06:29:53 AM »
When I cut my stem, I noticed the headset cap needed the steer tub to be slightly recessed below the stem for the cap to fit flush to the stem.  That was the main thing that I needed to make sure I had right, if I had cut the stem flush with the stem, there would have been a gap between the cap and the stem.

Like you, I have a bit of extra steer tube above the stem.  I'm fine with that, I don't need to have the steer tube as short as possible.  If you change stems or move the fork to another bike, it's nice to have extra steer tube length.

SN, I noticed you like a pretty short stem, my two are 90mm and 100mm, yours looks like 50-70mm, that will make the steering pretty fast I would think.  Good for tight single track maybe.

The helmet looks good BTW.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2014, 10:05:29 AM »

SN, I noticed you like a pretty short stem, my two are 90mm and 100mm, yours looks like 50-70mm, that will make the steering pretty fast I would think.  Good for tight single track maybe.

I'm really just playing it by ear and will adjust if I need to. The stem is 75mm and yes that is supposed to quicken steering, but the wider handlebars apparently offsets that. Also, the shorter stem is supposed to make going over the bars a less likely thing to occur. We'll see. I noticed your longer stems and was thinking I may have gone too short. If so.. that's okay.. I don't mind playing around with the set up and even buying a longer stem in order to find the proper fit, but I think I'd be more likely to get wider bars than a longer stem.

Right now though, I'm a bit annoyed with my Shimano rear brake lever. They seem to be working just find but I've noticed that the lever has an odd "catching" action at the very end of it's travel/pull. It's nothing major and like I said the brakes work just fine but seeing as how the left side doesn't do it.. I noticed it and now it's bugging me. Not sure if I lost some fluid when cutting the lines.. or got a tiny bit of air in there, or what, but to me it seems like the issue may be with the actual lever itself.

In the pic below the arrow points to the part that's causing it. Looks like it.s some sort of bearing that the lever actuates when pulled. At the very end of the lever squeeze, this little bearing/whatever it is kinda "pops" into place causing it to have a different feel than the left/front lever.  Doesn't seem like that would be an issue with air or fluid, as it always happens in the exact same spot in the lever pull.. the very end where that bearing fully recesses into it's destination - it kinda "pops" in there and the other one doesn't. Small issue but def want to get it sorted. I lubed it.. didn't help. Any ideas or input is appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:04:09 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #66 on: May 11, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »
That's very odd about your brake lever.  I just did a brake bleed on my IP-056 rear brake.  The more I learn about the Shimano's, the easier they seem to be to service.  No fault of the brake system that it needed bleeding, I just didn't get it right last year when I installed the brakes and the rear lever never felt as solid as my front lever.  Even though I've been sick these past few days, I decided to work on my bike a bit and 20 min later, I had the rear lever feeling just as solid as the front.

I think I didn't have the bike on the right angle for all the air to easily bleed out of the line before.  This time, I put the bike in the stand at about a 45 deg angle and pushed fluid from the rear caliper up to the lever, after that the lever felt perfect.

As for your rear lever, I don't have any advice other than if it bothers you (as it would me), see if you can exchange it.  Seems like it could be defective, none of my levers have any kind of popping, just smooth actuation throughout the travel.

UPDATE:  I did check my levers after I posted and found that on the release there can be a very small click or pop.  Smooth when squeezing in, but a slight click or pop on the release.  Most noticeable on the rear brake, slightly noticeable on one of my front brakes.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 10:46:56 AM by Carbon_Dude »
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
Returned that helmet.. Just couldn't do it. Too flashy and bulky for my tastes. Going to try an all matte black Bell Super next. As for my small brake lever issue.. it's just one of things that slightly annoy me but will certainly not affect performance. In fact, since I actually got to ride my bike today (!) I now know that by the time I squeezed that right lever enough to feel the "pop" at the end of the lever travel, I would have flown over the front of my bars by then. Seriously, total non issue thankfully.

And man, these brakes are freaking sweet! The last brakes I had experience with were the Avid bb7s (which I bet a lot of you have used extensively) and while the Avids are nice brakes.. hydros are way better. I love the feel/modulation and power i get with just one finger because of these brakes.. and I only have the Deore M615 with XT rotors.. I can't really imagine the full XT set up could be all that much better, but as I've already pointed out.. this is my first foray into the realm of hydraulic brakes, so what do I know. Either way,  these brakes are plenty awesome enough for me.

So is the bike. Seriously, I freaking love this thing. Fit is close to perfect. Might have to make some minor tweaks when I learn more what I prefer as far as cock pit set-up, but for now the fit seemed surprisingly perfect. Really happy about that as I definitely got a bit lucky. That said.. In 2 months I might feel the need to go for a longer stem, or set back post, or wider bars. We'll see.

As for the ride.. It is exactly what I was wanting. Which is a relief because in the 2-3 month process of deal shopping and slowly buying components and doing ridiculous amounts of research, you tend to change your mind about what it is you do want. Mainly, I was starting to wonder if I made a mistake going hardtail over a full suspension.

I have owned a full suspension 26er and really liked it, but the pedal bob really did annoy me. I had read so much about how 29 inch wheels smooth things out, and considering my local trails are mostly smooth dirt, and the fat tires, and the carbon.. I didn't really need the full suspension.. did I? After hitting the trail today, I'll say that I love the 29er hardtail platform really does roll over things better than my 26 full squish with smaller tubed tires, and the direct power transfer to the wheel from the pedals is exactly what I was wanting. I really like the stiffness of the whole bike, and I'm sure the carbon is coming into play there.

I never really understood when people talked about carbon's smoothness or dampening characteristics, but it really does just "vibrate" you less.. and combined with the stiffness, lightness, and now affordability.. I won't be going with allot frames anytime in the foreseeable future. I was a little worried that I was going to be disappointed with carbon fiber frames.. Like a movie that had been hyped up so much that when you finally saw it you were just kinda like "meh", but carbon fiber is obviously superior in every way to aluminum, and you can absolutely feel the difference.

Now that the bike is done and I've hit the trails... I couldn't be happier. Like I said.. this thing is awesome and tons of fun. A fully custom, high end carbon bike is significantly better than any bike I've owned or ridden, and it makes a huge difference out on the trails. Not only is the bike bad ass, but I learned an absolute TON and now I can actually work on and tweak my bike myself, which is a huge perk. In retrospect, MTB mechanics are dead simple and fun. I encourage anyone looking to but a bike to consider building your own from the ground up, even if it's not a Chiner.. it's just a more rewarding experience in my opinion.

I'll continue to update this thread with any issues I encounter or changes I try out, and plan on adding some more in depth how to guides though out the thread as well.

I'm in the process of making up some Chinertown stickers now and will post some more pics when I get one on my bike, but for now:

;D ;D ;D

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2014, 08:43:09 PM »
Oh.. and final spend ended up being within a hundred dollars of my target of 2k.. came in about $2,090.. Pretty darn cheap for the bike I got, imo.

As for the weight.. using a very rudimentary bathroom scale method that I'm sure many of you have used.. just above 22 pounds, which I'm very pleased with. I know that's far from an accurate weight but I at least know it's in the ball park of what I was aiming for. Will get an exact reading on the weight soon.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2014, 06:21:06 AM »
Looks really good SN!  Glad you finally completed your build and got it out for a ride this past weekend.  I'm not sure the XT brakes would feel much different from your SLX brakes, both are said to be excellent brakes.  I also love the minimal one finger effort you get with them.

I agree with you on how smooth the carbon rides, no aluminum frame can compare.  Not sure about chromoly steel or titanium, I've not ridden frames made from those materials but those materials will not be nearly as light as a carbon frame.  With carbon I felt less fatigue when riding, the small bumps and vibration are just damped out by the carbon. Like you said, I will never go back to an AL framed bike, the carbon is just so good.

22 lbs is very good for a $2,100 build, mine came in at 19.5 lbs bit cost $3,400 so I'd say you did very well.  Not to mention a set of Geax Saguaro tires are a pound heavier than say a set of Racing Ralphs.

Congrats again!

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Andy

« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2014, 09:35:43 AM »
Great job SN and congratulations on your new bike!  It looks beautiful and sounds like it rides great.  It was ALOT of fun reading your build thread and Watching all come together.  Please keep us updated on any new changes are thoughts.  Again, thanks for sharing!
Andy. :)

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »
Thanks guys!

Went out for another ride this morning and what I really notice and like about this bike/frame is the light weight and the stiffness that provide that direct power transfer. Pulling up the front wheel is ridiculously easy.. almost effortless.

Can't lie.. as much as I love this bike.. I definitely caught the upgrade/bike build bug and still have a few upgrades in mind for this bike and also plans for a not so budget full suspension build.

As for my plans for this bike.. I'm definitely going for a 30mm hookless carbon rim wheelset with some DT Swiss 240 hubs and will most likely try out the lighter weight Ikon tyres on that set, as well.

I'm also dead set on getting a MTB version of the below seatpost:

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 12:15:59 PM »
You know you have the upgrade bug bad when you are wanting a $250+ seat post :).  Those Geax tires provide quite a bit of bump absorption on your hard tail :).  Maybe just run a few less psi in the rear and you won't need to the seat post.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 01:25:14 AM »
Ha! Coming from the guy that built a high end carbon hardtail then upgraded.... To a whole new carbon full suss bike!  ;D

Seriously tho.. I could never pay that for a seat post but, for whatever reason, I really like the idea of that post.. Just one inch of travel that doesn't take away any pedaling efficiency. Seems perfect for a carbon hardtail 29er.

I haven't gotten to play with PSI too much. This is also my first tubeless set up, so i'm pretty unfamiliar with how much of an effect a few psi can actually have.. But I would play around with it before dropping more money into the bike as $300 is an amount that would most definitely be put in the 036 build fund. Pretty excited that the SRAM X1 is going to be available by then. Puts it within my reach.

Here's an update of the sticker design for the bike.. Great to get feedback on this as I'm in no way a graphic designer any more than I am a bike mechanic.. but I can manage to hack a few things together:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:33:38 AM by Sitar_Ned »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2014, 06:31:33 AM »
Sticker design looks good, my first thought is should there be a ".com" as part of the "Chinertown?"

As for the seat post, yes, a little more compliance is always nice.  Particularly for someone like me who has back issues.  After about 6 miles I always need to stretch out my back, there is less fatigue now that I have a carbon frame though.  The seat itself can also make a big difference with making a ride more enjoyable.  I noticed when I first built my IP-057 that it took a couple rides to get the seat height, seat location on the post, and seat angle just right.  Make sure you bring a hex wrench with you and do the adjustments on the trail during your ride.

2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA