Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375530 times)

theirishrider

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #330 on: May 02, 2020, 02:00:28 PM »
I can't offer much advice but did you see this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-Performance-165-x-42-5-Shock-Giant-Anthem-27-5-Trunnion-Dps-Float/113465000180

I'd say its a steal even if you have to pay customs, but you can see that they're willing to mark it down in price to pay less VAT. Guess depends where you're importing it to?

Zdrenka89

« Reply #331 on: May 02, 2020, 02:29:42 PM »
I did actually see that one. Quite cheap even though it's a lower tier model. It seems like it has a medium tune on both compression and rebound dampening. Will I be able to adjust that in any way or or am I stuck with adjusting pressure and adding or removing volume spacers?

I'm a bit of a new in full squish bikes...

theirishrider

« Reply #332 on: May 02, 2020, 03:21:10 PM »
I did actually see that one. Quite cheap even though it's a lower tier model. It seems like it has a medium tune on both compression and rebound dampening. Will I be able to adjust that in any way or or am I stuck with adjusting pressure and adding or removing volume spacers?

I'm a bit of a new in full squish bikes...

I honestly do not know. I do know that some people were talking about this one a few pages ago? maybe you can ask them how it was? :)

ChinaCruz

« Reply #333 on: May 02, 2020, 05:40:31 PM »
If you pay 900 for a sl frame with paint and use it for 2 years and sell the frame for 450

Never going to happen. You could get $50 for it after 2 yrs.

zilcho

« Reply #334 on: May 02, 2020, 11:07:55 PM »
If you pay 900 for a sl frame with paint and use it for 2 years and sell the frame for 450

Why are you even in this thread/forum?  You've added nothing constructive to the conversation.  If you don't want Chinese carbon frames then don't order them.  Your arguments/issues don't hold up, as the last decade plus of users across many different forums can attest to.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #335 on: May 03, 2020, 06:01:37 AM »
Just got my frame. Medium "superlight" version in UD matte. I put superlight between quotation marks because I was slightly disappointed when it weighed in at 1950g (dummy shock removed. With rear axle, seat collar and internal routing guides still in the frame). 

Took just over a week from payment to arrive.

The good news is that, at least on the workstand, the quality and construction is very good. I quickly mounted the shock and there doesn't seem to be any play, etc. Movement of the swing arm is smooth. I am still waiting on the brakes and other parts to arrive to build it up, so it's going to be a couple of weeks before a shakedown ride.

carbonazza

« Reply #336 on: May 03, 2020, 06:36:22 AM »
...I was slightly disappointed when it weighed in at 1950g...

I would be too. That is indeed more the weight of a normal version at 2000 +/-50g.
Did you contact them ?
Someone knows if there is a visible difference ?

Pharaohollie

« Reply #337 on: May 03, 2020, 07:15:33 AM »

I would be too. That is indeed more the weight of a normal version at 2000 +/-50g.
Did you contact them ?

I just sent Adam a message on Skype and will wait to see what he says.

I mean, if the 100g difference translates to a stronger layup, I am not too fussed as my planned build is on the trail than the XC side, but I did pay for the lighter version and that's the main issue.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 07:18:08 AM by Pharaohollie »

ChinaCruz

« Reply #338 on: May 03, 2020, 07:35:02 AM »

Why are you even in this thread/forum?  You've added nothing constructive to the conversation.  If you don't want Chinese carbon frames then don't order them.  Your arguments/issues don't hold up, as the last decade plus of users across many different forums can attest to.

Your post is missing an "imo". Friend, I already posted why I love the chiner frames. Check out my FM06 thread in the 27.5+ forum. This is a discussion on this frame and I am discussing it.

wfl3

« Reply #339 on: May 03, 2020, 08:04:06 AM »

Did you contact them ?

I mean, if the 100g difference translates to a stronger layup, I am not too fussed as my planned build is on the trail than the XC side, but I did pay for the lighter version and that's the main issue.

I would imagine the 1850ish number is w/o axle, collar, any shock hardware, etc.  I'd pull everything and weigh again just to see where it is then. 

theirishrider

« Reply #340 on: May 03, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
The good news is that, at least on the workstand, the quality and construction is very good. I quickly mounted the shock and there doesn't seem to be any play, etc. Movement of the swing arm is smooth. I am still waiting on the brakes and other parts to arrive to build it up, so it's going to be a couple of weeks before a shakedown ride.

Looks fantastic dude! what groupset are you going with? I'm tempted by the new 12 speed xt/slx!  Your home workshop looks fantastic.
How does the carbon look around the top of the head tube hole?

Cerps

« Reply #341 on: May 03, 2020, 11:39:07 AM »

They might be on holiday so Adam's response could be delayed. I was dealing with Light Carbon and they said they were going to be shut down May 1-5 for some national holiday.

Pharaohollie

« Reply #342 on: May 03, 2020, 12:50:04 PM »

Did you contact them ?

I would imagine the 1850ish number is w/o axle, collar, any shock hardware, etc.  I'd pull everything and weigh again just to see where it is then.

I just checked again:

1950g with rear axle and seat collar (no shock hardware)
1900g without rear axle , with seat collar (no shock hardware).

Seat collar is about 25g.

So if we take Carbonda's quoted weight to be without the axle, then 1950g 1900g is within their "+/- 50g".

Anyway, time to stop fussing over grams and build this thing up.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 02:09:57 PM by Pharaohollie »

Pharaohollie

« Reply #343 on: May 03, 2020, 02:06:53 PM »

Looks fantastic dude! what groupset are you going with? I'm tempted by the new 12 speed xt/slx!  Your home workshop looks fantastic.
How does the carbon look around the top of the head tube hole?

Thanks man! Excited to get this thing built up.

The carbon looks good around the top and bottom of the headtube. Bearings sit nice and flush.
(the gloss you see in the pictures is helitape I just put on)

There is a sticker with the frame spec inside the headtube that says FM-936-SL-17.5-UD-BB92. Based on the "SL" designation in that tag, they did send me the "superlight" version indeed. It's just not as light as they said (or I thought?) it would be :)

I am going with a mix of new parts and some bits I already have.

FOX Performance Elite Float DPS EVOL Shock 165 x 42.5
SR Suntour Aion 35 lowered to 120mm (good fork for the price, but damn heavy!) until I get either a DVO Sapphire or a RockShox SID 120.
Shimano XT 11-speed groupset with ZTTO's "lightweight" 11-speed cassette (there is a whole thread on this cassette over on MTBR).
Magura MT Trail brakes
Crank Brothers Cobalt 3 wheelset
Maxxis Ardent 2.3 rear, maybe something a little chunkier on the front.
Crank Brothers Highline 150mm dropper, WTB SL8 saddle
RaceFace Next handlebar, 800mm (will cut to 760-780mmmm) 10 degree rise with a 50mm Chiner stem (ZTTO..surprisngly well made for USD 20 off Aliexpress. Except the ghastly logos are laser etched and you can's remove them with acetone)

I love suspension lockouts, but I am going without them on this build.

wfl3

« Reply #344 on: May 03, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »
Not sure if anyone else had to fight with the dropper cable, but I'd def pull that housing thru before installing the BB.  Tight turn and a narrow gap going up into the seat tube.