Author Topic: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts  (Read 375541 times)

wfl3

Re: Carbonda fm936 Thoughts
« Reply #2100 on: August 24, 2022, 11:20:50 AM »

I found the steering way too slow/sloppy with a 120mm fork and any stem length longer than 60mm, but that is to be expected with a 66 HTA.

IMO a 50mm stem is probably about the sweet spot for that HTA.

Medico

« Reply #2101 on: August 25, 2022, 12:16:18 PM »
Arghh...finding a creak resulted in changing and/or servicing bearings, checking bb and check hubs, but without cluck.

The first time two years ago it was because of a to long bolt (lower bearing) which resulted in a new rear tringle from carbonda. Second time it was due to a stuck bearing. Third and fourth time my hub was broken... But now...

Don't know it is there. Seems a crack in the frame, not only cosmetic. And no, I didn't fit a to big bolt in there.
Hopefully Adam from Carbonda can help me
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 12:22:12 PM by Medico »

Swolie74

« Reply #2102 on: August 25, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »
Arghh...finding a creak resulted in changing and/or servicing bearings, checking bb and check hubs, but without cluck.

The first time two years ago it was because of a to long bolt (lower bearing) which resulted in a new rear tringle from carbonda. Second time it was due to a stuck bearing. Third and fourth time my hub was broken... But now...

Don't know it is there. Seems a crack in the frame, not only cosmetic. And no, I didn't fit a to big bolt in there.

Think something impacted there? I'd guess thats why a chunk is broken off and the crack extends from that.. depending what Carbonda says, I'd sand away and see what it looks like under the paint.

Medico

« Reply #2103 on: August 25, 2022, 02:05:19 PM »
Think something impacted there? I'd guess thats why a chunk is broken off and the crack extends from that.. depending what Carbonda says, I'd sand away and see what it looks like under the paint.

That's what I'm planning to do. But repair will not be cheap...

Medico

« Reply #2104 on: August 27, 2022, 12:41:01 AM »
That's what I'm planning to do. But repair will not be cheap...

adam confirmed, crash impact  no warrenty.
His advice was ta sand the crack and check how bad it is. I think it's brokem beyond repair just by biking wiht it...creaks are getting worse :-\

I'm waiting on reply how much it cost to replace and how much a fm 1002 will cost as an extra 8) (would love to have an real rrail/AM bike for the alps adn parks.

sguiom

« Reply #2105 on: August 27, 2022, 12:20:56 PM »
the feeling that the frame is bending can come from using a stem longer than 50mm. From using a 51mm offset fork. Due to the 66-degree head angle with a long stem and large fork offset, the bike becomes over-steered, giving the feeling of a flex frame. The front triangle is very rigid. The rear may have some suppleness, but you don't feel it when driving.

Thanks to all of you for your reply. I have a 120 mm SID with 44 mm offset and a 60 mm stem. I have never experienced such a feeling with my On one scandal and its 64° HA (because I run a 140 mm fork) and same 60 mm stem. However, when riding, the HA decreases on a hardtail which is not the case on a full susp due to shock compression, so you may get a point. Anyway it's right that the difference in front triangle stiffness is subtle when being static and cannot explain entirely my feeling. I will try a shorter stem, I have never thought it could give such a feeling.

Medico

« Reply #2106 on: August 27, 2022, 12:25:37 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your reply. I have a 120 mm SID with 44 mm offset and a 60 mm stem. I have never experienced such a feeling with my On one scandal and its 64° HA (because I run a 140 mm fork) and same 60 mm stem. However, when riding, the HA decreases on a hardtail which is not the case on a full susp due to shock compression, so you may get a point. Anyway it's right that the difference in front triangle stiffness is subtle when being static and cannot explain entirely my feeling. I will try a shorter stem, I have never thought it could give such a feeling.

Ahhh your reverence is a scandal. I have the same bike and it feels totally different as a fm936. I recemtly shortened the stem to 35mm. That's really what the scandal needed, otherwise way toooo slow. The difference in headangle could be the reason.

Fugezo

« Reply #2107 on: August 28, 2022, 01:20:01 PM »
Just a heads up for those interested.  In my conversations with Wing, trying to decide between the FM1001 and FM909, for a DC type bike, he mentioned that the FM936 may be offered to end users with official provision of 115-120mm rear travel - (N.B. they already do this for brands).

That would mean that they would need a different rear trangle...maybe the same one that ist used on the Ican S3 without flex stays.
Did he mention when this might be available?

St0mpB0x

« Reply #2108 on: August 28, 2022, 08:33:11 PM »

Without seeing deeper, my guess would be corrosion from the brake insert has led to a breakage. I emphasise that this is a big guess though.

Medico

« Reply #2109 on: August 31, 2022, 02:19:39 PM »
adam confirmed, crash impact  no warrenty.
His advice was ta sand the crack and check how bad it is. I think it's brokem beyond repair just by biking wiht it...creaks are getting worse :-\

I'm waiting on reply how much it cost to replace and how much a fm 1002 will cost as an extra 8) (would love to have an real rrail/AM bike for the alps adn parks.

So new rear is on his way...with also a Fm1002 size medium 8)

I did asked Adam about the new 120mm rear end, ot will be coming end of the year with what I understand a new linkage.

Swolie74

« Reply #2110 on: August 31, 2022, 02:54:43 PM »
So new rear is on his way...with also a Fm1002 size medium 8)

I did asked Adam about the new 120mm rear end, ot will be coming end of the year with what I understand a new linkage.

How much did the rear cost?

I'm swooning pretty hard over the 1002.... but if another bike box shows up at my house I think my wife will murder me, lol

Medico

« Reply #2111 on: August 31, 2022, 03:08:32 PM »
How much did the rear cost?

I'm swooning pretty hard over the 1002.... but if another bike box shows up at my house I think my wife will murder me, lol

300us excl 65us transport

qwerty

« Reply #2112 on: September 01, 2022, 09:14:54 AM »

- is that the NSBikes Synonym TR rear end? Is that when NSBikes exclusive right to it expires?

Medico

« Reply #2113 on: September 01, 2022, 10:01:37 AM »

- is that the NSBikes Synonym TR rear end? Is that when NSBikes exclusive right to it expires?

Dont know. Ns uses a different linkage and a different rear triangle. I looked as if he couldn't tell more. We have to wait.
I personally don't think it will be that different with what I'm currently running: 165x42.5...

carbonazza

« Reply #2114 on: September 01, 2022, 11:50:13 PM »
Dont know. Ns uses a different linkage and a different rear triangle. I looked as if he couldn't tell more. We have to wait.
I personally don't think it will be that different with what I'm currently running: 165x42.5...
Please don't tell us it is great, or we will all have to upgrade   ;)