Author Topic: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame  (Read 201138 times)

1Sigma

Re: Velobuild VB-R-168 Frame
« Reply #1050 on: May 27, 2022, 06:42:05 AM »
That's brutal.  I had some small issues, but nothing like this.

Based on their increase in business since the pandemic, they've been unable to keep up with the pace.  With a consequent affect on QC.

Because that is beyond sweat equity work.

I hope they are able to resolve for you.
Better than average - Extra Average

RDY

« Reply #1051 on: May 28, 2022, 04:01:47 AM »
Hi all,
I would like to share my experience with Velobuild with you. I ordered two frames a VB-R-168 and a VB-R-066. Both show quality problem, the VB-R-168 actually is a disaster. Here are the reasons:

• Scratches all over
  • Cable outlets are a mess
  • On bar second hole missing to match spacers
  • Holes for Garmin mount way off, it not perpendicular
  • color of frame and fork are different
  • Front derailleur hanger does not match frame

There seems to be no quality control at all. To me, buing from Velobuild is a jeopardy. Be warned and consider shopping there very carefully!

What a mess. And those aren't scratches. They're large chips. Scratches you could buff out.

Dunno wtf they were thinking letting those forks / bars and a clearly mishandled frame leave to a customer

Makes me a bit nervous about receiving my 099. 

StiffWeenies

« Reply #1052 on: May 28, 2022, 06:07:18 AM »
No response so far  :(

Big yikes from me and fingers crossed you're made whole

Did you pay via the gift function on PayPal? IIRC I remember Velobuild or some other seller stiffing someone with this technicality
« Last Edit: May 28, 2022, 06:08:58 AM by StiffWeenies »

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #1053 on: May 28, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
I'm disappointed but not surprised to see someone else get a bad VB-R-168 (same colour as mine too!). My frame is probably just going to sit in my closet until I have enough spare parts to at least build it into a dedicated indoor trainer bike...

Keep us updated on what you manage to get out of Chris, I wouldn't expect to get your money back though... When I opened a case on PayPal, they told me to send it back at MY expense (which is absurd given the cost of postage to China).

To anyone reading this that is considering purchasing from them, I would definitely stay away from Velobuild!

kr78

« Reply #1054 on: May 29, 2022, 03:23:03 AM »
... I just ordered a VB 168 and am very much hoping it comes out better than my Workswell did a few years ago. I am now a little nervous I decided to go with a three color design… :-\

I cross my fingers. Lets us know details once it arrives.

kr78

« Reply #1055 on: May 29, 2022, 03:41:28 AM »
What a mess. And those aren't scratches. They're large chips. Scratches you could buff out.

Dunno wtf they were thinking letting those forks / bars and a clearly mishandled frame leave to a customer

Makes me a bit nervous about receiving my 099.

Cross my fingers for your 099 order. Indeed, these are more tha scratches. Attached another exmple of the fork of the second frame.

I am indeed really upset. Not only that such quality should not got out to costmers. Even more, they have read my description of the problems on Sykpe but did not react at all. Nothing, not even something like we will discuss and get back to you. The acting of Chris/VeloBuild is simply unscrupulous and arrogant.

GilardiRT

« Reply #1056 on: May 29, 2022, 04:10:12 AM »
as i said before i had quite a bad experience with my 168.
the seatpost was continuosly slipping
The integrated handlebar clamp was too loose, no way to fit it on the fork, plus, the holes for the head spacers were misaligned.
the hole for the housing in the fork had a small crack

fot those problems chris replied that evereything was normal...

Kirkspants

« Reply #1057 on: May 29, 2022, 04:15:34 AM »
Well, crap. I ordered a 168 on Tuesday. Even sprung for the paint option. I guess I’ll find out in an indefinite period of time if I get lucky or if they phone this one in too. Such a bummer to see these recent bad experiences and lack of satisfactory resolution(s).

It is my hope that whatever madness awaits me in a box in 4-13 weeks is solvable with a Dremel. Maybe creative eBay-ing, too, if I’m lucky.

In other news, built up another set of Light Bicycle rims. This time for an Ekar build. Had some Bitex straight pull hubs for some AR28s and they built up to 1311 grams for the set. I really love how far LB has come in the last 10 years or so. And, I’ve never been disappointed!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 04:18:07 AM by Kirkspants »

Irideslowly

« Reply #1058 on: May 29, 2022, 04:55:03 AM »
For everyone reading this, place your orders with Longteng bikes or seraph. The post-sales service might not be great, but their qc is much better.

DodgiePapa

« Reply #1059 on: May 29, 2022, 06:16:28 AM »
Hi all,
I would like to share my experience with Velobuild with you. I ordered two frames a VB-R-168 and a VB-R-066. Both show quality problem, the VB-R-168 actually is a disaster. Here are the reasons:

Holy shit - what did you do? Insult Chrises family? This is utter garbage and should not have left like this...

However while your cases surely suck it looks like everything is kinda fine for most of the people - including me.
So its a gamble you are in the lucky 50% everything is fine, rather lucky 40% - get the dremel we are fixing this or the fucked 10%. At least thats how it feels like reading here.

Ordered a custom painted one a while ago after some back and forth with chris - I had my fit dialed in and knew exactly how long the Seatpost will be extended etc. and checked this and sizing with him.

Frame arrived faster than expected.
Looking through the frame with a camera everything looked more than ok - excess carbon could have been removed inside the frame, but structurally everything looked identical if not better than brand ones.
The brake cable hole in the fork was a bit sloppy and the brake mounting holes could have been machined completely, but nothing concerning for use.
Paint (the extremely popular green chameleon) was fine - not a very good paint job, but I took a glossy one not trusting the quality and expected some scratches that are less visible in glossy (there were none for me).

After reading a lot of comments about problems with the build, headset creaking and BB problems etc. I was pessimistic building the bike up.
However I did not have a single problem:

Pressfit DUB BB - installed without a hitch, fit was really really unexpectedly good for a pressed and not screwed one. (Pressfit DUB BB is not recommended by Chris and everyone with in general - see Hambini, but if its fine for Movistar its fine for me)
Cables - installed eTap Force and the brake cables were really easy to route, including through the integrated bar (the new one)
Brakes - as said, mounting could have been machined entirely and not only cleaned from paint, installation was fine
Front Derailleur - well its SRAM so hard to tell if the braze on was a bit out of whack or just SRAM things - probably the latter. Took a while to setup properly.
Rear Derailleur - all good
Axels - all good - still baffled that someone got a short axle from them a while ago
Headset - I was prepared to work with micro spacers and so on to get it dialed in, but even with the delivered expander everything worked fine the second try - no play
Integrated Bar (the new one) - cable routing was easy (just two so easier), spacers were fine and fitted after some wiggling into the bar.
Seatpost/ Saddle Mount - I ordered other saddle clamps for round saddle rails and they fit perfectly, with carbon paste no seatpost slip and I am a heavy rider

So overall I am happy with my experience with velobuild so far. Haven't ridden the bike much yet, but took it's through its paces already (couple of 1500w sprints, bunny hops, etc. etc.) and even my concerns with the bars flex are gone.

If I get to it I will happily share some pictures.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 06:29:08 AM by DodgiePapa »

1Sigma

« Reply #1060 on: May 29, 2022, 07:43:17 PM »
Hi Dodgie,

Well said.  I’d have to say my experience was similar to yours.
Sloppy fork brake hole, and poorly machined caliper mounts
Average paint job in the wrong color (although it’s grown on me since…)
All things which frustrated me at first, but honestly did not affect the build or ride afterwards.

Even if it meant Velobuild needed to increase prices a bit, they really should tighten up their QA/QC.
It shouldn’t be that even those who support VB need to cross their fingers each time they buy a frame.
Better than average - Extra Average

RDY

« Reply #1061 on: May 30, 2022, 07:32:30 AM »
I think one of the issues is that VB don't actually make anything and use different OEMs.  For example I think the 099 is LT - and price has now been raised to $599.  But no idea who makes the 168.  There's often a large discrepancy in quality between the models for this reason alone.

I think they organise all the painting themselves though, and the painter they use isn't the best quality ... albeit they are very cheap. 

kr78

« Reply #1062 on: May 30, 2022, 02:43:47 PM »
Despite of all the reported problems, I did a dry run on the headset today.

The good thing is that the new version of the headset is delivered with split spcers and that it should eliminate any play without adding micro spacers.

On the downside, the compressing ring with the dustcover builds up that high that there is a gap of 2mm between the frame and the dustcover. Thereby, the dustcover has no rubber sealing. So there is no protection for the bearing, which btw is of poor quality as well - the sealing is not worth its name, one can see the balls.

I menwhile deeply regret the purchase of the frame.

hazzer19

« Reply #1063 on: May 30, 2022, 02:57:52 PM »
However while your cases surely suck it looks like everything is kinda fine for most of the people - including me.
So its a gamble you are in the lucky 50% everything is fine, rather lucky 40% - get the dremel we are fixing this or the fucked 10%. At least thats how it feels like reading here.

It's too bad to read about some of the recent frames that have had issues. I got my 168 in May of 2021 and had almost no issues with the build. I've put over 3,000 Km on it so far and it's been pretty solid.

Hopefully there can be some more QC prior to anything getting shipped.

memebike

« Reply #1064 on: May 31, 2022, 12:53:01 AM »
Chiming in here as someone who bought in Feb and built up the bike in March, one of the spacers was missing a hole to accept the tab from the spacer below so I had to file down the tab. Also the front brake hole in the fork had a little too much paint which I filed back slightly.

Have put the bike through its paces, 1200w+ sprints, 60kph+ descents and haven't had any issues with the bike. Hopefully for Velobuild they address these QC issues and hope you guys get looked after.