Author Topic: Spcycle 2023 New Travel 120mm Super Light 29er full suspension frame  (Read 24531 times)

Vipassana

Re: Spcycle 2023 New Travel 120mm Super Light 29er full suspension frame
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2023, 10:11:14 AM »
I was not crazy about headset routing.  I now have a 2023 Spark with it. It's not actually that bad in practice. More work than standard, sure, but really not that bad. Adding a dropper post took me 30 minute.  I took the whole headset system apart to adjust the headset angle (which is possible on the spark frame I rotating the bearing cups 180°) and I had the thing back together in under an hour.  I think a bunch of people love to make a big deal out of things. 

I have a 9 year old hardtail with probably 12,000 miles on it. I've replaced the shifter housing exactly once, the brake lines never, and the headset bearings never.  So I don't really see needing to be in and out of this headset all that often. And with the cables tucked, the bike looks super clean.

So I won't disparage people for not liking internal routing, but I also think it's not as bad as everybody made it out to be.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 10:15:48 AM by Vipassana »

jefflinde

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2023, 03:35:18 PM »
I think the big thing is what does cables through the headset gain you?   The answer is nothing of value  and only more headache.  There are a fair amount of negatives and the only positive is it is "cleaner". Except all those cables still loop out to your levers and shifters and remotes anyway.  Now the just coalesce at the stem instead of 4" lower in the frame. 

Chamomile

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2023, 04:04:30 PM »
One story is a trendy-brandy bikes with clean look and absolutely another when you have the same features in chinabike. For instance: sharp edges which will cut little by little you hydroline inside your fancy headset. Btw, any insulation from the mud and water flying around in nasty weather?

Tijoe

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2023, 05:26:24 PM »
If they would hurry up and design wireless brakes, shocks, and droppers, then we wouldn't have any need for those unsightly cables wherever they have to be routed!   8)

Vipassana

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2023, 07:26:32 PM »
I think the big thing is what does cables through the headset gain you?   The answer is nothing of value  and only more headache.  There are a fair amount of negatives and the only positive is it is "cleaner". Except all those cables still loop out to your levers and shifters and remotes anyway.  Now the just coalesce at the stem instead of 4" lower in the frame.

Perhaps.  I just really don't see it as that much extra headache for me.  It was a marginally longer process to take things apart. And I do that basically never (possibly because my use case is hot/dry Arizona where maintenance just isn't needed on items in that area). 

What negatives have you identified with your headset routing?

I value the marginally cleaner cockpit I suppose.  And as cockpit controls start to be designed with this in mind (see the new SRAM brakes where the brake line exits the lever basically on the bar) tucking cables out of the was will be even easier.  Couple that with AXS shifting and droppers and soon wireless lockouts, and a single brake cable is all there will be to think about.

For what it's worth, when I disassembled everything, I removed the brake lines from the levers and shortened them.  I didn't even need to do a full rebleed of the brakes. Simply do the simple shimano lever/cup  dirty bleed and everything was perfect. 

I guess I'm curious as to what everyone is doing with their bikes that they need to be changing out that upper bearing so frequently. Because that upper bearing is really the only thing that is even marginally more difficult to change out than routing cables through the sides of the frame.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 08:32:32 PM by Vipassana »

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2023, 09:55:49 PM »
Headset routing is a marketing play to make maintenance of traditional cable pull systems so annoying people just break down and throw away money on wireless systems lol. Headset routing sucks, especially on mountain bikes.

Vipassana

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2023, 11:32:58 PM »
How is it more annoying? It's the same thing.  Pull the cable, fish a new one.  Or if a housing is needed, pull the old housing an fish a new one. It's no different than other internal routing systems.  I have it on my 2023 Scott and I ran a dropper post housing/cable without disassembly of the headset. Same as internal routing through the frame.  What are people talking about??

How many people here are simply regurgitating what the read on the internet vs actually working with one of these systems first-hand?

One of the most legitimate complaints I've heard is that having the opening on top of the upper bearing may lead to more dirt/water intrusion into the upper bearing. I'll buy into that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2023, 12:21:47 AM by Vipassana »

Eneen

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2023, 12:26:17 AM »
Assembling Carbonda 909 with headset routing and it works far better then classic internal or even external due to less force required to turn and no more cables banging around near handlebar. It requires only bit more work due to tighter cable length tolerance. I should have tried to order frame without headtube holes.

Casio20

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2023, 06:57:25 AM »
Any reputation information about Spyce?
Thanks

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2023, 05:40:22 PM »
How is it more annoying? It's the same thing.  Pull the cable, fish a new one.  Or if a housing is needed, pull the old housing an fish a new one. It's no different than other internal routing systems.  I have it on my 2023 Scott and I ran a dropper post housing/cable without disassembly of the headset. Same as internal routing through the frame.  What are people talking about??

How many people here are simply regurgitating what the read on the internet vs actually working with one of these systems first-hand?

One of the most legitimate complaints I've heard is that having the opening on top of the upper bearing may lead to more dirt/water intrusion into the upper bearing. I'll buy into that.

The vb-099 I have is headset routed with internal handlebar/stem routing. Looks cool, no cables hanging out anywhere on the front end. Huge pain to work on using a full mechanical groupset, but at least there's no cables.

Headset routing on a mtb still has cables in front. The cables just go into the headset a few inches up instead of into the frame. Which makes maintenance more annoying. You can't replace your headset bearing without also buying a new olive for your rear brake. Plus disconnecting everything else. Really not that common of a service, but it's still more work for marginal to no gains. Things break on mountain bikes fairly frequently and personally I'd rather not have to deal with more annoying things when fixing stuff. Headset routing for mtbs just doesn't have any positives imo.

That said it'll still probably become more popular like internally routed cables simply because it's cheaper for manufactures.

Guerilla gravity and Deviate have cool solutions for cable routing that make life easier.

spcycle

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2023, 10:48:37 PM »
Dear All
Thank you for your suggestion.
For SP-M861 frame. We will manufacture two versions.
Version 1, all internal cables, cables passing through the headset.
Version 2, half internal cable, cable does not pass through the headset.
best regards
spcycle

hwpaints

« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2023, 04:09:47 AM »
when do you produce and think to deliver the frames, last time i ordered a frame at China it took 5 months

ASt

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2023, 01:56:27 PM »
Any reputation information about Spyce?
Thanks
I currently have an ongoing case with my SP-M05 frame. will report.

vioch

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2023, 04:27:52 PM »
I currently have an ongoing case with my SP-M05 frame. will report.
Nice move))
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 10:24:56 PM by vioch »

martocom

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2023, 11:03:12 PM »
What about the cable routing for the remote of the rear shock?
Standard or similar to Orbea Oiz?