Author Topic: Velo Build R-099 Build  (Read 38557 times)

Liter

Re: Velo Build R-099 Build
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2021, 02:29:19 PM »
Oof that looks like a problem.

I just ordered an 099 yesterday and over the last few days they were very prompt in responding to e-mails. Usually got responses by 11pm-12am EST.

I say ask for a spare hanger and the plate that fixes it from the outside of the frame.

Chris actually responded and I sent him the money but he did not confirm if he could send by DHL, its my only bike and it sucks to be stuck without it.

FHS

« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2021, 02:35:52 PM »
Yeah, I know the piece you referring to. I don't know that it's sold separately from the hanger, but my replacement came with bothe pieces. Like I said, I have old bent hanger but the other piece is undamaged, if you just want to PM me.

hazzer19

« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2021, 04:29:32 PM »
The outer plate that secures the derailleur hanger fell off the bike, been trying to contacr Velobuild to buy with no success,  any difficulty talking to them lately?

Two questions, is it safe to ride without and is there a brand with the same outplate I can buy online that would fit?

There is a small vertical play when I put weight on the wheel.

I would keep trying VB over email or skype. They've been response to me as of late.

FHS

« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2021, 10:16:37 PM »
I have it liter....

Liter

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2021, 06:58:18 AM »
I have it liter....

that's the one!!!! Will send you my address in PM

njansen

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2021, 05:57:02 AM »
For those who are interested, I've added an update on my experience with the VeloBuild (099) here:
https://roadmeister.cc/update-1000km/
My VeloBuild 099 project:
https://roadmeister.cc

FHS

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2021, 12:46:42 PM »
Great update Niels, thanks!

Liter

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2021, 05:47:52 PM »
update, they actually provided another number for the tracking, will receive by Friday.

They could have provided better support but I guess they simply canĀ“t handle the volume of work
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 08:55:28 AM by Liter »

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2021, 07:47:05 PM »
Received my frame a few days ago. Ordered it August 16th and it arrived September 24th. I asked to be sent a picture of the frame painted before they shipped, but that never happened lol. They also didn't tell me they shipped it until I asked a few days before it arrived.

Paint is ok, for 50$. I sent them pantone colors and they're actually pretty good. There was a chip in the headtube cup (because of poor masking and overspray it looks like) on top that's kind of noticeable. Smaller issues pretty much wherever they had to mask an opening. Seat tube opening is also pretty marked up. The fork has some pretty hilariously bad drips that dried solid on top.

From the outside the carbon seems solid. No obvious issues, some sharp edges in side

Still haven't had a chance to ride it yet because building it up has been extremely difficult. The two lightcarbon MTBs I put together were super easy and smooth, this thing not so much. Because of the overspray the fork brake line opening had to be sanded a bunch to barely fit a housing through. The rear derailleur path had a bunch of loose foam and some carbon strands stuck inside that made feeding the housing in impossible until I noticed and was able to knock it out. Then the most difficult part is feeding the housing through the handlebar! The openings are tiny and 4 housings barely fit in there. It's super crowded and difficult to work with. Which leads the next problem I have now. After finally getting everything together, the semi-circle crown race thing that keeps the steerer tube centered seems to have popped off. Another problem with the handlebars is because of the tiny opening the housing comes out at an inconvenient angle and it's incredibly difficult to get the cables going to the right places in the headtube, and to get that crown race pressed down.

My handlebar problems haven't even ended yet either. The two bolts used for clamping are too short! Maybe if the handlebar was off the steerer it would be possible to compress it enough to get them threaded. I ended up buying some longer M5 bolts that are ugly but work. After some more days of struggling I should have it finished and I'll take some better pictures.

Also the headset compression plug they sent was cross threaded and doesn't work correctly. Luckily I had a leftover one I didn't use from my earlier builds.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 07:50:39 PM by zaphodbeeblebrox »

jstrawks

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2021, 08:59:18 PM »
I like the paint scheme. Your own design? Gulf livery?

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2021, 07:35:56 AM »
Thanks! Yep, I like the gulf colors. Just stole the design from another bike I found on google images.

shenlong1337

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2021, 08:41:33 PM »
Any idea what this geometry is similar to?

Irideslowly

« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2021, 08:50:08 AM »
Chris has already said.

099 Geometry based on Venge ;168 based on SL7

zaphodbeeblebrox

« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2021, 10:28:00 PM »
https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/specialized-s-works-venge-2019-52,velobuild-2020-vb-r-099-2020-52,specialized-s-works-tarmac-sl7-2021-52,velobuild-vb-r-168-2021-52/

Very similar numbers. I choose the 099 because I liked the shorter reach + higher stack, slightly less aggressive than the Venge/SL7.

Finally got everything built up and it's ready to ride. I should have some early impressions this week. One more problem I noticed is my front tire has a slight wobble. The rim is true, but the gp5000tl isn't. It was super difficult to get on, maybe I stretched the casing a bit or it's not quite seated. 

FHS

« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2021, 08:27:55 AM »
One more problem I noticed is my front tire has a slight wobble. The rim is true, but the gp5000tl isn't. It was super difficult to get on, maybe I stretched the casing a bit or it's not quite seated.

I had the same issue on my TanTan TT-X21. To make a very long story short, check your fork/thru axel position. My LBS mechanic simply added a washer and solved the wobble issue. I have no idea how or why adding a washer fixed the problem, or, really, what the underlying issue is, but it worked.