Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128426 times)

Jal

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #645 on: October 01, 2021, 08:03:34 PM »
You may be right, I'm going to try the + 3mm one, it might be enough. It's not necessary to add the crown race included, but I doubt if the bearing seats well or if a Cane Creek headset is needed (or recommended), with its specific inner angle bearing for correct mounting... what is your experience slo?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 08:08:14 PM by Jal »

slo

« Reply #646 on: October 01, 2021, 09:12:01 PM »
I checked out the included headset bearing and it looks like it is a 45/45, whereas the Cane Creek crown race is a 36 degree seat. The included headset bearing doesn't seat well. The lower bearing will need to be changed to a 36/45 52mm bearing to make it work correctly. Or you could run a Cane Creek headset.

scourge

« Reply #647 on: October 02, 2021, 06:18:37 PM »
I've got play in my headset that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm wondering if a traditional star nut would help instead of what came with the headset. I can't tell if the thing that came with it is pulling everything down tight or not.

Jal

« Reply #648 on: October 02, 2021, 09:08:05 PM »
I checked out the included headset bearing and it looks like it is a 45/45, whereas the Cane Creek crown race is a 36 degree seat. The included headset bearing doesn't seat well. The lower bearing will need to be changed to a 36/45 52mm bearing to make it work correctly. Or you could run a Cane Creek headset.

Thanks slo, is what it seemed looking at the photos of the spacer, that the angle was different. It's true... I didn't realize it!, being an integrated steering, don't need the complete headset, just the lower bearing
« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 09:22:57 PM by Jal »

Jal

« Reply #649 on: October 02, 2021, 09:20:34 PM »
I've got play in my headset that I can't seem to get rid of. I'm wondering if a traditional star nut would help instead of what came with the headset. I can't tell if the thing that came with it is pulling everything down tight or not.

I assume you have the steerer tube cut enough to the proper length and doesn't bump into the ahead cap when tightening, right?

darius72

« Reply #650 on: October 03, 2021, 04:00:08 AM »
Here comes the answer to my trouble: I installed the cane creek spacer and then the stock headset, it looked unstable; then I tried adding on top the stock spacer ring, better but still unstable; so I blamed the stock expander not pulling enough, today I will receive a star nut, but the reality as said above is that the angles don't match. So I will need a cane creek headset or a different bearing that probably isn't easy to find. Again time and money waste  :'(.
This project isn't a breeze, when I built another bike I made everything in one day and half with no issues. Here every day comes a surprise  :o.

xtinction

« Reply #651 on: October 03, 2021, 04:08:40 AM »
Here comes the answer to my trouble: I installed the cane creek spacer and then the stock headset, it looked unstable; then I tried adding on top the stock spacer ring, better but still unstable; so I blamed the stock expander not pulling enough, today I will receive a star nut, but the reality as said above is that the angles don't match. So I will need a cane creek headset or a different bearing that probably isn't easy to find. Again time and money waste  :'(.
This project isn't a breeze, when I built another bike I made everything in one day and half with no issues. Here every day comes a surprise  :o.

You will probably need a cane creek bearing cause iirc cane creek doesn't use 45x45 bearings

And thats kinda the thing with buying a china bike its bag of surprises

darius72

« Reply #652 on: October 03, 2021, 05:16:08 AM »
Thanks, pity nobody noticed the problem before; we need the cane creek spacer AND THE BEARING.
This is my seconf china build, the previous (ok a XC front suspended) didn't show any surprise. Ok it's part of the game

Ok I need this correct?
https://www.probikeshop.it/cuscinetto-sterzo-cane-creek-forty-aa-5-36-45-52-mm-black-oxide-baaaaaa32/167933.html

cybrsrce

« Reply #653 on: October 03, 2021, 08:38:16 AM »
You will probably need a cane creek bearing cause iirc cane creek doesn't use 45x45 bearings

And thats kinda the thing with buying a china bike its bag of surprises

Yeah, sorry about that guys.  I always buy Cane Creek headsets for these builds and most of the supplied units are based on FSA and Cane Creek which use 36x45 on 90% of their headsets, I just assumed. 
It doesn't have to be a Cane Creek bearing, any 36x45 52mm should do the job with that race replacement.

Have a tracking number created for my frame but it hasn't been received by the carrier, already over a week now.  It will be easier to make recommendations without flying blind, hopefully in the next few weeks :(   

Snacks

« Reply #654 on: October 03, 2021, 02:03:54 PM »
posted this in my own build tread but didnt any responses. hopefully i can get some opinions here.

put the decal on one side of the bike but im a bit iffy on how it looks. im thinking of replacing it with this metallic vinyl. what do you guys think? new vinyl or keep what i have on there

Jotegr

« Reply #655 on: October 03, 2021, 02:56:07 PM »
I think that would look nice cut a little thicker and in a few more spots

darius72

« Reply #656 on: October 03, 2021, 04:20:46 PM »
It looks OK; certainly if your main problem are the decals it means everything else is fine; I am fighting with fork interference, headset bearings, chainline, bottom bracket.  ;D ;D ;D
Did you test your handlebar height? only one spacer under the stem is fine for you? I feel like adding approx 4 cm

slo

« Reply #657 on: October 03, 2021, 08:18:16 PM »
I want to keep the 52mm chainline using the SLX M7100 cranks (not M7120). I mounted a Funn Solo DS 32T chainring on the M7100 crank and now have about 3.5mm minimum clearance on the rear swing arm.

Difference between the Funn 32T ring and SLX ring, measured from inside edge of ring to tooth centerline:

Funn 32T 1.6mm
Shimano SLX 4.5mm (measured using bolt head)

it seems to be similar to the 3mm offset of the Shimano ring, without the bolt head clearance issue.

Snacks

« Reply #658 on: October 03, 2021, 09:41:42 PM »
I think that would look nice cut a little thicker and in a few more spots
Thanks for your input! I had planned for one on the inside of the chain stay and on the top tube as well but I'll definitely try it with thicker letters first. I'm hoping that's why I thought it looked a bit off too

JJJ

« Reply #659 on: October 04, 2021, 03:06:26 AM »
Did you test your handlebar height? only one spacer under the stem is fine for you? I feel like adding approx 4 cm

Look at this, guys :
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lee-mccormacks-guide-to-perfect-bike-set-up.html