Author Topic: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!  (Read 128150 times)

threeathan

Re: The Shiny New AM831 Group Buy (A) Thread!
« Reply #810 on: October 26, 2021, 11:38:10 PM »
Wow, that is a lot of movement.

Has anyone spoken to Eddy about this so that they are at least aware of the issue.

Yea i messaged eddy already and sent him the video cybersrce posted. He said he will check and get back to me

scourge

« Reply #811 on: October 26, 2021, 11:57:24 PM »
I mentioned mine doesn't move like that, but I haven't got it on a trail yet. Maybe after riding it may loosen up more.

JJJ

« Reply #812 on: October 27, 2021, 01:46:50 AM »
I'll try to get an angle where the bike more supported and the movement stays in the triangle.  If you don't focus on the tire you'll see the seat tube moving more than the seat stays.  I'll put an axle with a handle on and see if it is any different but the wheel flex won't make the seat stays flex.

Even if you can see the triangle move a little in your video, looking carefully, this is totally overwhelmed by the excessive flex of your wheel (do you have play in your wheel axle?). Anyway, the triangle will always flex, bikes are not made of concrete. Mine does, but not more than my Altitude, and the feeling on the trail is fine, for the moment.

cybrsrce

« Reply #813 on: October 27, 2021, 06:51:47 AM »
Even if you can see the triangle move a little in your video, looking carefully, this is totally overwhelmed by the excessive flex of your wheel (do you have play in your wheel axle?). Anyway, the triangle will always flex, bikes are not made of concrete. Mine does, but not more than my Altitude, and the feeling on the trail is fine, for the moment.

There is no movement in the axle. 
Yes the wheel flexes but no more than any other wheel I have. 
Tried it with two other wheels and the triangle, specifically the lateral movement of the seat stays, is the same.
Also had it in the KICKR with the same movement.  I would record that but it is on a rocker platform and I don't want that movement to confuse you like the tire...
Only one other carbon FS on hand at the moment, it flexes but about 10mm total.  Different platform and not a relevant comparison.

I know they flex, it is part of the design.  How much flex is too much flex in comparison to the the same frame has always been the question.  Since you're having trouble discerning the difference between the tire and triangle movement it is about 20mm of seat stay flex.  It was more without the shims and now it feels fine.

How much does YOUR triangle flex?  "Not that much" isn't helpful, I'm sure you can understand that. 

darius72

« Reply #814 on: October 27, 2021, 08:00:17 AM »
It`s very hard to judge from the video, maybe it would be better to do the flex test without the wheel. Anyway, mine flexed like that after one bolt got loose (and it I was scared before I saw the loose bolt). In my opinion the bolts are just of the proper lenght, in some bikes they reach the bottom, so the rear triangle is flexy, in others they are barely ok and there is no flex.
Anyway if Eddy will give us a quote I will be very happy to buy a spare set of frame bolts: they are non standard parts, just lose one on the trail and the bike is not usable; then only a lathe artisan can rebuild it, also the threads aren`t standard, it is a fine thread.
If we have spares then the best idea it`s to file down the bolts to desired lenght.

sips56

« Reply #815 on: October 28, 2021, 07:59:04 AM »
Anyone install a ride wrap or invisiframe on a xl? Trying to determine if I should buy the xxl or xl kits the companies provide.

Thanks!

Jotegr

« Reply #816 on: October 28, 2021, 08:35:52 AM »
This bike doesn't line up perfectly with Santa Cruz bikes, so it will require modification either way as the Tailored ridewrap kits are very tight fitting

Krillle

« Reply #817 on: October 28, 2021, 10:55:45 AM »
Any news on the flex problem from Eddie? To bad non of these manufacturers have spare frame parts to buy directly with the frame. Seams like an expensive lottery especially if your not able to join a group buy. Although that frame looks very nice. Any videos of people who don't have the flex problem or video in the field?

Maffly

« Reply #818 on: October 28, 2021, 12:19:25 PM »
Eddy has replied to me as I am waiting for mine to ship and have expressed some concerns regarding the flex issue. His response was a bit confusing but my take away from his response was not all of the frames have the issue. He then said all frames flex if you “shake” them hard enough. Not clear if he is acknowledging a specific issue with some frames or not. Crossing fingers at this point. Sure I can find a way to tighten it up if need be.

JJJ

« Reply #819 on: October 28, 2021, 12:39:06 PM »
Any news on the flex problem from Eddie? To bad non of these manufacturers have spare frame parts to buy directly with the frame. Seams like an expensive lottery especially if your not able to join a group buy. Although that frame looks very nice. Any videos of people who don't have the flex problem or video in the field?

I believe you shouldn't base your opinion on problems highlighted in this type of forum, because it's problem solving that is discussed at length (and you probably arrived in the forum just when this one was being discussed). Those that don't have the problem, probably the majority, will not say so, unless someone organizes a poll!

Moreover, the video is impressive but misguiding, because a lot of elements are moving around at the same time, with the wheels flexing most, but also the seat post, so you can't really see how much the rear triangle flexes comparatively.

I tried to flex my rear triangle holding the rear axle and pressing my knee in the linkage area. There is some flex, but not more than on my Altitude. Comparatively the wheel flexes much more, and that will have more influence on how the bike handles when you tilt it.

Krillle

« Reply #820 on: October 28, 2021, 01:04:18 PM »
I believe you shouldn't base your opinion on problems highlighted in this type of forum, because it's problem solving that is discussed at length (and you probably arrived in the forum just when this one was being discussed). Those that don't have the problem, probably the majority, will not say so, unless someone organizes a poll!

Moreover, the video is impressive but misguiding, because a lot of elements are moving around at the same time, with the wheels flexing most, but also the seat post, so you can't really see how much the rear triangle flexes comparatively.

I tried to flex my rear triangle holding the rear axle and pressing my knee in the linkage area. There is some flex, but not more than on my Altitude. Comparatively the wheel flexes much more, and that will have more influence on how the bike handles when you tilt it.

I don't have much of an opinion yet, that's why I'm asking. And when it comes to problem solving it definitely would help if one can order parts for the frame. Don't agree that the wheel seems to be flexing more in that video though.
And you shouldn't assume things either. I've read here since this frame came out, where else would I get any info or get opinions?
Wouldn't it be nice if there where spare parts available to order?

Good to hear you haven't got that problem though

cybrsrce

« Reply #821 on: October 28, 2021, 01:06:30 PM »
1mm washers "fix" the problem.  Some frames, like mine, do not have enough material between the head of the bolt and the bearing so it bottoms out in the linkage.  I get about half the flex now which is about the same as another carbon bike I have around.  It is a different suspension platform, less travel, and an extra small - so not really a fair comparison.

Without making major design changes, the washer or removal of 1-2mm from the end of the bolt is the easiest resolution.

If I could steady cam the video I took, I would use the seatpost of the focal point so it would be easier to discern that the movement is the triangle without drifting focus to the wheel.  An old stiff carbon wheel would make the triangle flex look even worse.

Krillle

« Reply #822 on: October 28, 2021, 01:40:57 PM »
1mm washers "fix" the problem.  Some frames, like mine, do not have enough material between the head of the bolt and the bearing so it bottoms out in the linkage.  I get about half the flex now which is about the same as another carbon bike I have around.  It is a different suspension platform, less travel, and an extra small - so not really a fair comparison.

Without making major design changes, the washer or removal of 1-2mm from the end of the bolt is the easiest resolution.

If I could steady cam the video I took, I would use the seatpost of the focal point so it would be easier to discern that the movement is the triangle without drifting focus to the wheel.  An old stiff carbon wheel would make the triangle flex look even worse.

Thanks for your answer, Im kind of new to this so some questions might come out wrong. Hedeli seem to be helpful when it comes to order spare parts though, Im thinking if a bolt comes loose in about a year or so, one would like a spare or be able to find one.

JJJ

« Reply #823 on: October 28, 2021, 04:44:16 PM »
Seams like an expensive lottery especially if your not able to join a group buy.

@Krillle, I didn't correctly prune my quote when I posted my comment. The above is what I reacted to. The point I was trying to make is that the issues are probably scarce and related only to the linkage bolt issue, so you have a good chance at winning the lottery.

So how many out there have the bolt issue? I've counted two or three. What about the warranty in that case?

We haven't quantified either what an acceptable flex is, so we shouldn't be all worried to note some flex - for now I can only compare it to my other bike and evaluate the riding feel, which is pretty good so far.

And sure, it would be nice if spare bolts and other linkage components were available.

Speaking of spare parts, the derailleur hanger is available here (choose the FS831 option): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001935571629.html
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 04:49:30 PM by JJJ »

slo

« Reply #824 on: October 28, 2021, 05:17:11 PM »
I have a lot of flexing and the drive side has some play that you can see move when pulling in the rear triangle. There is also some clicking noise as the bearing has extra play.