Author Topic: cybrsrce AM831 build  (Read 15319 times)

cybrsrce

Re: cybrsrce AM831 build
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 06:32:59 AM »
The rear brake fits a 180mm rotor? Is the Zeb a 180mm as well? I'm still waiting on adapters and CL lock rings for my hubs so haven't tried fitting anything yet. Was originally going to go with 203mm CL rotors but didn't notice they were thicker than normal and not sure they will work with the Shimano 4 pot brakes. I also have some 180mm 6 bolt and some adapters to run on CL and then wouldn't need the adapters to run 203. Either way I'm still waiting on CL lock rings that got used on another wheelset at some point.

Do you plan on sticking with 180 or think you may go bigger? I've never ran bigger than 180 but at times have felt like they would be nice especially in the front. If the brakes have good modulation is there any down side other than weight?

Zeb is a minimum 200mm and I had to shim it up for the Shimano 203mm.  180mm rear though, I usually start trail/enduro bikes with 203/203 and end up dropping the rear down to 180 because I just skid.  This frame may be different, if so it would give me the excuse to upgrade to new XTR rotors :) 
As a reference I'm built like a larger, much older, Richie Rude with none of his talent... 187cm 97.5kg or 6'1.5" and 215lbs in freedom units.  I usually have a hip pack or full low slung backpack, depending on how long the ride will be, adding another few kg.

Also, I finally weighed mine and it's around 12.9 kg. From lifting it up I thought it was lighter and can see how it could get to 15 pretty easy with some more heavy duty parts. I was hoping for a final weight about where I am now but that's not going to happen, though I went with value and didn't pay much attention to weight so can't complain. My large frame was 2435g which isn't all that much heavier than more XC FS frames.

I figured the frame would weight more, seems like they would have to use a lot of carbon to get that shape.  I'm no CF aficionado but if I had to guess they actually used more, or all, T1000 then some of my older T700 and T800 frames.  Although they are also very light they are smaller by volume if that makes sense. 
Definitely could have squeezed out some grams by going to a lighter fork and components but the weight also helps a little when heading downhill.  I think the fork will last longer since I'm, most likely, done racing as I usually have to do a 200 hour maintenance every season. That isn't uncommon around the northeastern USA.  It is also doubtful a carbon crankset would last me a season or that would have been where I started, crank and pedal strike city - I'll post some closeups of my previous crankset and pedals :)  Might trickle down the GX gear eventually for X01 AXS and X01 or XX1 cassette, I'm also eyeing up some carbon wheels even though I've recommended against them for quite some time.
As it is pretty complete I will weight it again today to see how thicc this boi is.

Let us know what you think once you start getting more time on it! Would also be curious to hear what your coming from.

Sorry for rambling so much in your thread... :o

It will get a baptism by fire this weekend if the weather holds.  I had to take the super deluxe to a shop because it wouldn't pressurize correctly after I swapped the damper, hopefully they can do better.  In the meantime I have a 200x57 Monarch RC3 from the bike this replaced on there and it feels pretty good.  It is in desperate need of a service (kit ordered) but it will do for one or two more rides.

If you haven't noticed, I ramble a lot :)  It is why these threads are here.

I'm coming from an FM356 which was pretty nice if not already outdated when I got it, probably late 2018/early 2019.  Cracked the chainstay or I might still be riding it.  It is a decent compact race ride even with a Works 2.0 degree angle headset.  Here is the before pic -

The fiber fix tape around the crack which is right under the full chain link.  It is completely rideable and stiffer than before it was cracked, that tape is pretty amazing.

Some 170mm crank arm rash.

Chunks out of the bash.

Pedals take a beating

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:40:02 AM by cybrsrce »

cybrsrce

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 07:11:32 AM »
Thanks man. Already ordered the Charger. Other bike has a Fox factory 36 with the grip2 so I wanted more of an even playing field going between the two bikes. Pretty long chunky descents around here. 8120s came today. So did Nuke Proof chain stay protector. Now if only the bike would arrive!  Keep posting, would love to hear ride reports.

Oh yeah, that would put them pretty close on capability.  I keep going back to Rockshox because of the small bump sensitivity, just couldn't get a fox 34/fit4? to do what I wanted.  Sold it for a Lyrik and decided I wouldn't look back.  My jump line days are behind me or I would consider Fox again, really night and day difference in big hit compression.  Doesn't matter how much you tune the high speed, low speed, and rebound they are just biased for different types of riding.

cybrsrce

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 08:43:59 AM »
It may get a little heavier with the change in shock and a full gear strap, but right now it sits at 14.59kg (32.17lbs).  A little lighter than I thought it would be so that is a bonus.

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
Looks good! My frame is the same color, which is a lot lighter shade than the #1 on the color palette appeared. I like neutral colors more than bright so it's growing on me.

I'm also 187 cm and went with a large. How does the medium feel? Even though the reach is pretty long, the seat to bar distance is the same as my current 120mm 5 yr old  frame and will be a little less once I switch from a 60 to 40mm stem when it gets here, which I didn't think would be the case. I went back and forth between a medium and large so I'm curious how the smaller one feels as they can be easier to toss around and more fun, though 29s with heavier tires make that more difficult.

I'm definitely a chronic rambler and fairly incapable of writing short sentences...typing fast doesn't help either.

cybrsrce

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2021, 02:49:59 PM »
I picked a pantone that was closer to the 2022 gloss carbon color and Eddy replied is that black?  So I thought maybe it was a little dark so I sent pantone 11c.  I bet it is just my monitor.  I really like the color but expected it to be a few shades darker.

Components selected based on this frame measuring out close to a large HT, it is pretty close.  Tight twisty trails around me so I usually opt for a large vs XL.  I can always make the large a little bigger by moving the seat back and longer stem, you know the drill I'm sure.  It feels just right at the moment but I'll have to let you know after I give it a real trail test.

This is what the cool kids are doing these days, steep seat tube angles and slacker head tube make it feel like you're in XC climbing mode in the saddle and at the bike park with the dropper down.  I think they did well designing a modern frame - with lots of influence from SC of course :)

cybrsrce

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 08:41:52 PM »
There is a good chance it wouldn't hit with the race that came with the Hellbender but I figured the +3mm would be fine anyway.

Almost finished product for Eddy's playlist.

Maffly

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2021, 08:43:46 AM »
Looks amazing. Will be interested to hear what you think about it on the trail. I’m 6’1” too but went with the large. Slightly shorter reach than my xl Yt Jeffsey. Also interested on thoughts related to HTA. On my YT I slacked it by 1 degree and bumped travel up to 160. Brought the HTA to about 64.5. Liked it better all the way around. Been considering my options for the 831. Probably gonna ride it for a bit to see what I think.  Wish the headset was not IS. Limits the options. The Slack-R is 1.5 degrees and think it might be too much. Maybe an offset bushing or two  to bring to 65 or 64.5. Hate to slacken the STA though.  Looks like you are all set to rip that thing this weekend. Have fun.

cybrsrce

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
Pointed downward in a straight line this thing just wants to go,  not bad when pedaling up either.  The twitchy front end and lumbering body feel really off to me, I need more time on it.  Also was lazy and put in the RS Trailforks numbers for PSI and rebound and got a really harsh ride, so much so that I had to stop in the middle of a long downhill to give my arms a break :)

Backend is also flexy, I need to double check that I torqued the linkage bolts.   More tuning and testing this week.

So, about the size - In or out of the saddle I feel like it fits me perfectly.  So far that is the thing that I am most happy with about the setup.  I also think the head angle feels right but I'm probably closer to 64.5 (I will verify) with the temporary shorter shock, crown spacer, and a guaranteed longer A2C then they designed for the frame.  It also just barely fits on my bike rack so I don't want to further lengthen the wheelbase :)

carbonazza

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2021, 02:35:16 AM »
...The fiber fix tape around the crack which is right under the full chain link.  It is completely rideable and stiffer than before it was cracked, that tape is pretty amazing....

I may have missed an episode... What crack was this?
And more intriguing, what is this magic tape?

cybrsrce

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
I may have missed an episode... What crack was this?
And more intriguing, what is this magic tape?

The rear end of the FM356 would always flex under torque but one day I noticed it was really bad after a rough day out.  It failed the knock test so I sanded it a bit to see how bad it was and it was all the way around right behind the chainring.  So I tried the FiberFix tape to see if I could get some tame rides in before getting a new bike and it is actually stronger now than I think it has ever been.  I'd been riding it with the "fix" on my regular trails (lots of black/double black rocky stuff) since August until last weekend and I think it could go on without issue.  Even cased a few, quite a few, tables on a jump line and it came out of it like nothing happened.

I used the FiberFix 1" tape since it was a tight space.  It is some sort of prepreg fiberglass I think, similar to what is used on casts for broken bones.

https://www.amazon.com/FIBERFIX-8-57101E-11-FiberFix-Repair/dp/B00B28Z2AC

There are some youtube videos about it but this one is sort of close to what I did without cutting the frame.

Maffly

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2021, 09:48:23 AM »
Hopefully you get things ironed out and you like how it rides. The Zeb is supposed to be amazing so that shouldn’t be too hard. How much shorter is the rear shock you have on there now?  Hope the frame tightens up a bit. Good luck.

cybrsrce

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2021, 06:02:43 PM »
Hopefully you get things ironed out and you like how it rides. The Zeb is supposed to be amazing so that shouldn’t be too hard. How much shorter is the rear shock you have on there now?  Hope the frame tightens up a bit. Good luck.

It was only sagging at around 11% so I dropped it few lbs and now it is a little over 20%, that will be a better baseline.  Current shock is 10mm shorter and the whole package together brings me to about a 64° head angle as measured with my phone. 

FlaMtnBkr

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2021, 01:01:27 AM »
Have you gotten any more time on it? Does the flex feel any better?

I think I have a lost package so still haven't ridden it. But pushing sideways on the rear has me worried about flex...

Verbl Kint

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2021, 04:08:33 AM »
That is a sick looking bike and the parts seem like it was built with bad intentions in mind.  8)

Congrats on the build! ;)

cybrsrce

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2021, 06:07:07 AM »
Have you gotten any more time on it? Does the flex feel any better?

I think I have a lost package so still haven't ridden it. But pushing sideways on the rear has me worried about flex...

All of the labeled bolts are torqued to spec but the thrubolt I torqued to 14nm, it can still be tightened more but I don't want to strip it.  I forgot to ask Eddy for more specs but yeah, it is real flexy.  I had the same "problem" with my last frame where I could make the rear dance just by sitting and putting a little pressure on the pedals.  I also have a slight knock and movement from the rear triangle and I can't quite figure out where the movement is happening.

I'm sure part of it is my rear wheel, which I just trued, that has more flex than I would like.  It has lasted for a year so I can't complain but I do have to tighten it up after almost every ride.  Just bought a set of NOBL wheels with I9 Hydra hubs because of the lifetime warranty and the promise of lasting more than a season.  I haven't used carbon mtb wheels in a long time and I hope it will help with some of the flex issues on this frame or the next...  If I torque crack this frame I'm done with FS "replicas."

Going to reserve judgement until I get the proper shock back in and check the linkage again.  Which bolts did you shim?