Author Topic: dcrf26 frame - Scott Foil?  (Read 16512 times)

Serge_K

Re: dcrf26 frame - Scott Foil?
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2023, 01:06:15 PM »

I've read somewhere or seen that you paint the bikes yourself with spray cans.
How many do you use there per wheel and does it look reasonably clean?
How does that behave with the extra weight after a paint job?

i did just that a few weeks ago using the best spray cans i could find at the DIY store (aka, ghetto). I ordered my frame with primer only. Bought 1 can of primer because some of the primer was sanded down, then 2 colours, so 2 cans, and 1 can of clearcoat (bought 2, but didn't need 2). 2K clearcoat is what you want for a durable finish, but i couldnt easily find it, and it's rather expensive, so i went with standard car clearcoat in a can. The whole thing cost me less than 30 eur. The clearcoat that many chinese frame sellers use is also not 2K, because the paint scratches very fast. I'm happy with my result but i already scratched it when mounting on a bike rack and not using the clamp properly (my fault entirely). The hardest is to use masking tape to protect stuff. In spring time, everything dries super fast, in 2-3 days your bike is ready to be built. I watched a lot of videos beforehand.

patliean1

« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2023, 07:29:10 PM »
My frameset has arrived. Unpainted, Size 56 w/ 400x120 integrated bars. The 120mm stem is effectively more like 130-135mm because the stem is measured to the center point of the top bars, rather than to the imaginary intersection of where the metal faceplate on a separate stem would meet. This has been the case with every integrated bar I've used. My 125mm Winspace integrated bars measure more like 145mm stem.

Frame (both hangers installed): 1148g
Uncut Fork: 383g
Seatpost: 209g
Handlebars: 395g

First impressions are it looks and feels like every other unpainted frame I've tested in this price point ($500-$900). There has been some attempt to face the caliper mounts, and the T47 threaded bottom bracket looks okay upon first inspection. I have a DUB T47 BB arriving later this week to confirm no issues.

Will get it painted soon, and best believe I will be slamming the heck out of that integrated handlebar.

abdbeg

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2023, 05:43:00 AM »
Looks good patliean1, could you please also check if it fits 32c tyre?

patliean1

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2023, 08:07:28 AM »
Looks good patliean1, could you please also check if it fits 32c tyre?

Website claims 32c tire clearance. I was only able to fit a 32 in the front, but not the rear. Not even close.

Chinese brands are already notorious for overstating tire clearance. I don't understand why TanTan would claim 32c for such an aggressive aero frame in the first place...

abdbeg

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2023, 08:30:00 AM »
So it seems that the frame have the same clearance as the OG foil - 30c

elmtree

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2023, 10:31:03 AM »
Shame with the tire clearance, but thanks for posting pics and whatnot. Excited to see the build!

RDY

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2023, 10:32:04 AM »
So it seems that the frame have the same clearance as the OG foil - 30c

Real one will fit a 32-34 (depending on rim / tire combo) in sizes 56 or above ..

Very careless power sander with low grit use on that frame.

Sebastian

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2023, 11:06:08 AM »
This identical frame is being sold under the Ceccotti label on Aliexpress. There the seller states a maximum tire clearance of 28mm.

abdbeg

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2023, 11:07:05 AM »
This identical frame is being sold under the Ceccotti label on Aliexpress. There the seller states a maximum tire clearance of 28mm.
Yes, but when I asked seller directly, he claimed that 32c tyre will fit to this frame
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:26:01 PM by abdbeg »

patliean1

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2023, 02:16:43 PM »
Quick dry run photo before I start painting and building this week. With both my saddle height and handlebar drop setup, I'd say it looks pretty aerooooo.

I'm also testing those new Magene EXAR DB508 Ultra wheels. 58mm rear 50mm front, carbon spokes, 36t DT-Swiss style hub. Weight came in at 1366g. 30mm external, 23mm internal.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 02:18:23 PM by patliean1 »

ricedaddy

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2023, 02:31:16 PM »
Quick dry run photo before I start painting and building this week. With both my saddle height and handlebar drop setup, I'd say it looks pretty aerooooo.

I'm also testing those new Magene EXAR DB508 Ultra wheels. 58mm rear 50mm front, carbon spokes, 36t DT-Swiss style hub. Weight came in at 1366g. 30mm external, 23mm internal.

K, I take it back, frame looks better in that angle. Maybe the seraph pic was a smaller size and non drive side doesn't help

ENEP

« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2023, 02:49:22 PM »

Lookin good!
Too bad about the tyre clearance not being enough for 32 as stated.

abdbeg

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2023, 12:14:26 AM »
Hey patliean1

I was thinking about tire clearance, i noticed that you are using wheel with 23mm inner width, could it be that it smaller inner width will fit with 32c? Like standard 21mm

patliean1

« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2023, 05:52:03 AM »
Hey patliean1

I was thinking about tire clearance, i noticed that you are using wheel with 23mm inner width, could it be that it smaller inner width will fit with 32c? Like standard 21mm

The wheels I tested where from my Rinasclta all-road bike which have a 20mm internal and 28mm outer. Coincidentally also from Magene.

Also...my SRAM/DUB T47 bottom bracket arrived last night. Happy to report both BB cups threaded into the frame with no issues at all. I should have the bike built by early next week.  8)

patliean1

« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2023, 11:04:12 AM »
Quick Update

The bike build is on hold for a few weeks  :(

-Turns out T47 requires it's own BB Tool different from other 16-notch BB tools. 52mm versus 50, 48, and 44. So I had to order one.

-I ordered the wrong "T47 for DUB" bottom bracket. Apparently there are two version of this standard: Inboard and Outboard. I ordered outboard. Inboard means the bearings sit inside the frame/cup, while outboard means they sit...outside of the frame. Outboard is (I think) is for MTB/Gravel frames because the road Sram DUB spindle I have did not clear the frame. The outboard T47 I have is too wide for the crankset so I have order the inboard version.

-I leave on holiday for two weeks so the project will have to wait till I return. Shame because the bottom bracket and crankset are the final things left to finish the build. My 2K clearcoat also arrived super late so I attempted to build the bike with plans of spray protecting it later. Do not do this.

-Speaking of the build there were a couple of quirks. The caliper mounting bolt holes on the fork (the bottom of the two) are not as deep to accommodate a standard length caliper bolt. So you will either need a shorter M6 bolt from the local hardware store or include about 1mm worth of washers in order properly tighten the caliper. This is a frame design flaw.

-In my experience, SRAM rotors are far more prone to arrive out of true than Shimano rotors. Rarely are they ever perfectly straight/aligned/true. So when you pair that to not "perfectly" faced caliper mounts..expect to troubleshoot disc rub. Thankfully the issue is mostly the on rotors not the frame.

I do have high hopes for this frame in terms of stiffness. It will probably ride more like early 90's project tuner car than a modern day sports car.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 11:10:35 AM by patliean1 »