Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 155930 times)

erickr

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #990 on: July 28, 2024, 09:46:03 PM »
4000+ k now on my er9.
I did a 220km ride today which started in pretty awful rainy conditions and I had wet roads/road spray and grime throughout. I must say after all these stories I am a bit anxious that at some point I’m gonna click the button on the shifter and nothing happens. But it keeps working just fine, no matter what I put it through.

Edit: Sorry for the pic from the NDS. I was pretty spent when I shot this. ;)

What calipers are you using?

Sebastian

« Reply #991 on: July 29, 2024, 12:12:46 AM »
Campagnolo.
The LTwoo hydraulics are a carbon copy of Campagnolo‘s internals. I know, because I own Campagnolo Ekar on my gravel bike. Works well together. I bought them used. And the front caliper doesn’t need an adapter for 160mm rotors which looks better IMO.

00Garza

« Reply #992 on: July 29, 2024, 10:10:09 AM »
4000+ k now on my er9.
I did a 220km ride today which started in pretty awful rainy conditions and I had wet roads/road spray and grime throughout. I must say after all these stories I am a bit anxious that at some point I’m gonna click the button on the shifter and nothing happens. But it keeps working just fine, no matter what I put it through.

Edit: Sorry for the pic from the NDS. I was pretty spent when I shot this. ;)

Did you do any kind of weatherproofing to your connections or rear mech? Or are you riding it as it came?

Sebastian

« Reply #993 on: July 29, 2024, 12:28:54 PM »
Did you do any kind of weatherproofing to your connections or rear mech? Or are you riding it as it came?

I rode it as it came. Then I experienced laggy shifting on the RD during a ride. After that I smeared some dielectric grease around the RD cable plug to seal it. Haven’t touched it since. Probably around 3000k since I did it. No issues. I left the FD untouched.

jonathanf2

« Reply #994 on: July 30, 2024, 04:37:26 PM »
Today I rode my other ER9 bike after being sick for a few days. Seriously, no issues with either bike. Maybe living in sunny, dry weather is key to having trouble free performance!

I don't really have any complaint other than wanting more cassette capacity. I think the big advantage with 105 Di2 is being able to run max 36t on the cassette.

Sebastian

« Reply #995 on: July 31, 2024, 03:47:16 AM »
I’ve ridden mine in plenty of horrible weather. Probably around 40-50% of the rides I did so far as it’s a very wet summer in Europe this year. No issues apart from the one time when I sealed the plug afterwards.

Also, after fine tuning the indexing further, shifting performance and chain tension with 52/36 up front and 11-34 in the back is absolutely fine. I’ve been doing a lot of climbing this week and used the whole range of the cassette and had no issues.

The only thing that keeps happening to me is that on bumpy descents when braking before a corner, I do sometimes accidentally hit the front shifting button and drop the chain to the small ring. Pretty annoying but not a huge issue. It just has to do with the ergonomics of the shift buttons and the brake lever and where my hands are. The textured button protrudes ever so slightly too much from the brake lever IMO. So I have to pay attention to not grab the lever the wrong way, otherwise I’ll push the button by accident.

SirBikealot

« Reply #996 on: July 31, 2024, 05:04:35 AM »

The only thing that keeps happening to me is that on bumpy descents when braking before a corner, I do sometimes accidentally hit the front shifting button and drop the chain to the small ring. Pretty annoying but not a huge issue. It just has to do with the ergonomics of the shift buttons and the brake lever and where my hands are. The textured button protrudes ever so slightly too much from the brake lever IMO. So I have to pay attention to not grab the lever the wrong way, otherwise I’ll push the button by accident.

Thanks that i'm not the only one with that problem. Sometimes super annoying, especially when you don't feel the shift and start pedalling.

Sebastian

« Reply #997 on: July 31, 2024, 07:58:49 AM »
Thanks that i'm not the only one with that problem. Sometimes super annoying, especially when you don't feel the shift and start pedalling.

Yeah, if that button had a touch more resistance and clicky feedback to it, I guess it wouldn’t happen half as often. But if I have to negotiate potholes and bumps under braking, it can happen quite easily if I don’t pay attention. And you only really realise once you start pedalling again.

jonathanf2

« Reply #998 on: July 31, 2024, 10:23:49 AM »
I’ve ridden mine in plenty of horrible weather. Probably around 40-50% of the rides I did so far as it’s a very wet summer in Europe this year. No issues apart from the one time when I sealed the plug afterwards.

Also, after fine tuning the indexing further, shifting performance and chain tension with 52/36 up front and 11-34 in the back is absolutely fine. I’ve been doing a lot of climbing this week and used the whole range of the cassette and had no issues.

I've been hesitant to wash my bike, but since I don't ride in the rain often it only requires a wipe down after every ride. Maybe when winter comes, I'll test out the ER9 in wet conditions. It seems at this point, as long as the rear derailleur battery cable is protected, the ER9 should be okay.

When I sized up the chain length for 52-36/11-34t, I found it more prone to chain slap. It was too loose for my taste. I removed 2 chain links and went down to an 11-32t cassette instead. It feels much more concise at that length and I can still climb at that gearing, but I do rely on my lowest gear more often. Compared to my gravel bike running an Ultegra RX800 RD, by far the spring tension even with the clutch is off, is much more firm. I'm wondering if it's just a cost-cutting measure by LTwoo or if Shimano has some patent on beefy rear derailleur springs?

I also occasionally hit the left shift button when on bumpy descents. When I first installed the groupset it was an issue, but now that I'm aware of it, it's been less of an issue.

amacal1

« Reply #999 on: July 31, 2024, 10:34:28 AM »
Compared to my gravel bike running an Ultegra RX800 RD, by far the spring tension even with the clutch is off, is much more firm. I'm wondering if it's just a cost-cutting measure by LTwoo or if Shimano has some patent on beefy rear derailleur springs?

I also occasionally hit the left shift button when on bumpy descents. When I first installed the groupset it was an issue, but now that I'm aware of it, it's been less of an issue.

I'm not sure the reason, but I would guess neither of those reasons. Maybe some other design decision, though. The Ltwoo eGR has mega spring tension. It's impressive how stable and taught the RD keeps the chain. The eGR doesn't have a clutch, but it retains the chain WAY better than my Advent X 1x10 that did have a clutch.

Sebastian

« Reply #1000 on: July 31, 2024, 02:37:26 PM »
I wonder if my RD is a different revision. Like I said earlier, my RD has the highest spring tension of any non clutch RD, I ever had. Not as hardcore as for instance on my Campy Ekar 1x RD. But it's still a lot. It's so high that I didn't even bother to put on any chainstay protection. And in +4000km of riding there's not a single scratch on the chainstay. It's a complete non issue on mine. And I could probably shorten the chain by another two links, if I deemed it absolutely necessary. The small/small combo is a touch too slack, but I don't really care. It's not dangerously slack and I never use that gear apart from the aforementioned accidental downshift on the front.

mozart

« Reply #1001 on: August 02, 2024, 02:41:05 AM »
I also have an er9 without any problem with water. I have washed the bike several times. the only problem I had was with the fd, which from the first to the last gear had a problem. yesterday for the first time I noticed that there was probably an update and there are three levels of adjustment in the fd. my great suffering was finally solved. every time you press the shifter, depending on what speed you are in, the position of the fd also changes

mozart

« Reply #1002 on: August 02, 2024, 02:52:57 AM »
i use XTAR 14500 800mah with no problem. no drain. and they lasted for many changes

aramus1979

« Reply #1003 on: August 02, 2024, 09:26:16 AM »
I also have an er9 without any problem with water. I have washed the bike several times. the only problem I had was with the fd, which from the first to the last gear had a problem. yesterday for the first time I noticed that there was probably an update and there are three levels of adjustment in the fd. my great suffering was finally solved. every time you press the shifter, depending on what speed you are in, the position of the fd also changes

I understand that now the front derailleur is automatically adjusted the same way as SRAM? Do you have a new update that introduces this possibility?

jonathanf2

« Reply #1004 on: August 02, 2024, 10:00:37 AM »
I recently did a stint with Zrace XG brake calipers with my ER9, but when it was time to replace the pads while using aftermarket Shimano L05A finned pads, there was zero leeway for the rotors. I didn't want to bother sanding down the pads, so I ended up just going back to my LTwoo brake calipers. While I'm not too fond of the added weight especially with the adapter plates, they do seem more accommodating to fit aftermarket brake pads that tend to have thicker pad material. Plus I was having sticky piston issues with the Zrace calipers, so I figure I might as well swap back.