Author Topic: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets  (Read 155870 times)

Sebastian

Re: LTWOO ER9 & ERX - Electronic groepsets
« Reply #1005 on: August 02, 2024, 10:44:21 AM »
I recently did a stint with Zrace XG brake calipers with my ER9, but when it was time to replace the pads while using aftermarket Shimano L05A finned pads, there was zero leeway for the rotors. I didn't want to bother sanding down the pads, so I ended up just going back to my LTwoo brake calipers. While I'm not too fond of the added weight especially with the adapter plates, they do seem more accommodating to fit aftermarket brake pads that tend to have thicker pad material. Plus I was having sticky piston issues with the Zrace calipers, so I figure I might as well swap back.

Maybe too much oil in the system? Did you by any chance bleed your brakes with used brake pads?

boxof13

« Reply #1006 on: August 02, 2024, 11:05:06 AM »
I recently did a stint with Zrace XG brake calipers with my ER9, but when it was time to replace the pads while using aftermarket Shimano L05A finned pads, there was zero leeway for the rotors. I didn't want to bother sanding down the pads, so I ended up just going back to my LTwoo brake calipers. While I'm not too fond of the added weight especially with the adapter plates, they do seem more accommodating to fit aftermarket brake pads that tend to have thicker pad material. Plus I was having sticky piston issues with the Zrace calipers, so I figure I might as well swap back.

I have been running eR9 with the Zrace XG caliper for the past >4000km and have been testing various pads. I have not so far had any issue with not having clearance. Tried pushing in the caliper back in with any tool, before putting in the pads?

jonathanf2

« Reply #1007 on: August 02, 2024, 11:52:48 AM »
Maybe too much oil in the system? Did you by any chance bleed your brakes with used brake pads?

I was able to push back the pistons with the calipers off the bike, but in general I find them a bit more finicky than the LTwoo calipers. The one benefit I found with the LTwoo calipers and adapter plates, is that they're a bit more easier to adjust and align. Plus I don't get stick pistons on long descents. Anyways, I might give the ZRace XG calipers another try later.

jonathanf2

« Reply #1008 on: August 02, 2024, 11:55:15 AM »
I have been running eR9 with the Zrace XG caliper for the past >4000km and have been testing various pads. I have not so far had any issue with not having clearance. Tried pushing in the caliper back in with any tool, before putting in the pads?

I did push them back, but the XG calipers just seem a bit more stubborn to work with. I do think the LTwoo calipers a bit easier to adjust.

mozart

« Reply #1009 on: August 05, 2024, 04:46:51 AM »
I understand that now the front derailleur is automatically adjusted the same way as SRAM? Do you have a new update that introduces this possibility?
no it has now 3 steps. first step 1-5 gears, second step 6-9 gears. thirs step 10-12 . the position changes only with click on shifter

mozart

« Reply #1010 on: August 05, 2024, 04:50:41 AM »
take allen tool (i think no2) and uncrew the screw which is inside of shifter.(inside of shifter front hole) space will open up for you

jonathanf2

« Reply #1011 on: August 05, 2024, 09:29:14 AM »
take allen tool (i think no2) and uncrew the screw which is inside of shifter.(inside of shifter front hole) space will open up for you

I've been able pushed them back quite a bit. Also I have two sets of ZRace XG calipers. One is an older model and the other newer. I hadn't realized they added an additional bleed port screw at the top of the caliper. The older model only has 1 bleed port as opposed to 2.

Anyways I plan to put one of my ER9 bikes on weight reduction diet for climbing, so I might re-install the XG calipers again.

jonathanf2

« Reply #1012 on: August 05, 2024, 02:49:44 PM »
Today I encountered some strange quirks with my ER9 groupset on my 2nd road bike. On two abrupt road bumps, my rear derailleur went to sleep. It took a few button presses on the RD to wake it back up. I'm wondering if could also be the batteries getting jarred in the holder causing the issue? I've tried recreating the problem at home by dropping the rear wheel a few times, but the issue only occurred on the road.

Serge_K

« Reply #1013 on: August 05, 2024, 03:56:12 PM »
Today I encountered some strange quirks with my ER9 groupset on my 2nd road bike. On two abrupt road bumps, my rear derailleur went to sleep. It took a few button presses on the RD to wake it back up. I'm wondering if could also be the batteries getting jarred in the holder causing the issue? I've tried recreating the problem at home by dropping the rear wheel a few times, but the issue only occurred on the road.

Welcome to the jungle :)
Fast on the flat. And nowhere else.

jonathanf2

« Reply #1014 on: August 05, 2024, 05:10:27 PM »
Welcome to the jungle :)

Still cheaper than the new SRAM Red and 13 speed XPLR groupsets! I somewhat take pride in being an AliEx parts bin cyclist! ;D

Actually, I might have forgotten to charge the groupset after a 3 week hiatus! I’ll ride it again this week and see if the problem occurs. Plus it’s getting hot where I live, so I’m wondering if heat might be an issue.

Sebastian

« Reply #1015 on: August 05, 2024, 11:32:41 PM »
I had the bike on the back of the car the other day and drove through some biblical storms. I’m talking Noa‘s Arch kind of rainfall. The er9 stopped working. But it turned out that it was just the battery that was drained. It had only 6% left when I put it on the car and the constant vibrations must have activated the groupset during the whole ride? I dunno. Anyway, I charged it back up. All good again. But a bit of a panic moment, I must admit.
Mine has around 33.000 shifts now.

elmtree

« Reply #1016 on: August 06, 2024, 09:46:27 AM »
Has anyone opened up the shifter and looked at the circuit board/taken pictures? I'm curious how hard it would be to add in sprint shifters.

lantz

« Reply #1017 on: August 06, 2024, 03:22:23 PM »
Has anyone opened up the shifter and looked at the circuit board/taken pictures? I'm curious how hard it would be to add in sprint shifters.

Definitely haven't, but this is the kind of shithousery I'm here for - please report back if you do.

Phaxe

« Reply #1018 on: August 06, 2024, 05:12:18 PM »
Definitely haven't, but this is the kind of shithousery I'm here for - please report back if you do.

;D ;D me too.

jonathanf2

« Reply #1019 on: August 06, 2024, 05:19:34 PM »
For the last few months I've been running one of my ER9 bikes (1 of 2) with an externally routed RD battery cable. Today it bugged me enough to try and route the cable through the chain stay. Months ago, when I initially installed the groupset, there was any obstruction that would not let me put the cable through the RD chain stay. It appeared to be some sort of residue blockage. 

I first tried forcing the battery cable through, but it ended up getting jammed and I had to pry it out. Unfortunately by forcing the cable out, I bent one of the gold pins on the cable head. I thought for sure I messed it up and would have to order a replacement. I took a minute to think and decided to try and fix the pin using tweezers and bend it back into place. Thankfully that worked and the pin was fixed. I still had to deal with the residue obstruction. I then thought about heating up a small screw driver and melting the residue. Luckily that tricked worked and I was able to get the battery cable through and properly route everything internally.

Seriously, working on these cheap bike parts is almost like a form of self-punishment!  ::)