Author Topic: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)  (Read 45455 times)

Sincman

Re: WheelTop EDS TX Full Wireless Groupset (Chinese SRAM)
« Reply #315 on: June 12, 2024, 09:55:46 AM »
Yes, been there.
Go to initial calibration under equipment debugging and manually move the front and rear derailleurs to the positions shown under debugging shifting. Then exit and proceed with fine tuning. I learned to always shift to the large ring in front and the smallest cog in the rear before going back to initial calibration or it calibrates to your current gear position and messes everything up.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 03:47:17 PM by Sincman »

MartinSolder

« Reply #316 on: June 13, 2024, 07:50:27 AM »
Many thanks yes that sorted it.

I also find the rear derailleur charger cover doesn't stay in place is there a secret way of getting it to work or should I just use a bit of electrical tape?

repoman

« Reply #317 on: June 13, 2024, 08:47:09 AM »
800 bucks for a group this iffy when Rival AXS can be had for 200 bucks more greymarket doesn't make sense to me.

Sincman

« Reply #318 on: June 13, 2024, 09:59:39 AM »
Many thanks yes that sorted it.

I also find the rear derailleur charger cover doesn't stay in place is there a secret way of getting it to work or should I just use a bit of electrical tape?

Glad you got your derailleur working.
As for the cover, its just a matter of pushing one side/edge in and then holding that in with one hand/finger and using cross pressure with another finger or other hand to slightly bend the cover while pressing the opposite side down in place. Once in it does seem to stay.

rasch

« Reply #319 on: June 13, 2024, 10:23:04 AM »
800 bucks for a group this iffy when Rival AXS can be had for 200 bucks more greymarket doesn't make sense to me.

I think the only advantage this one have is that it works with "smaller cassets" but yeah the full SRAM rival online costs 1000eur new with all the pieces (rotors, crankset, cassete etc) so yeah.. I've skipped it and went for the solid and reliable approaches

raisinberry777

« Reply #320 on: June 13, 2024, 05:24:44 PM »

I agree that the price doesn't present a great option for a new build compared to grey market Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival. I would expect that there are three main markets for this group:
  • those looking to upgrade an existing 10-11 speed mechanical bike to electronic
  • those who already have other cranks/chains/cassettes already
  • those on rim brakes
For me, I'm definitely interested in putting it on a rim brake bike, but I will wait until the price is closer to L-Twoo ER9 (350-400 USD). I expect prices will come down over time. It will also be interesting to see the pricing of the Magene option when it's available (though I expect it's still quite a while off yet).

Looks like they've sent groups to a whole bunch of YouTubers across a variety of languages so they're clearly pretty keen to go with the influencer marketing route - hopefully we see some positive long-term reviews out of it.

It will also be interesting to see if we can start getting it as an OEM option with Chinese frames - that could result in some pretty aggressive pricing for full builds or even frame/groupset combos.

MartinSolder

« Reply #321 on: June 14, 2024, 06:01:22 AM »
Once I had got it installed and working I was really impressed with it. It cost me £445 and as I had a titanium 10 speed rim brake bike I wanted to upgrade it was the only real option. I'm really impressed with it and the minor niggles you have with most systems. The performance  and cost makes up for any minor problems.

Tijoe

« Reply #322 on: June 14, 2024, 10:07:20 AM »
I have experienced this happening 3 times now.   The latest was this scenario.

While riding up a long, about 8% grade, I need to downshift.  I click the paddle switch and there no shift.  I keep tapping the paddle and still nothing.  I stop and look at the LED on the shifter.  it glows when I push the paddle.   I  bounce the bike up and down several times and then I can see the derailleurs LEDs turn on.  I shift again and the rear derailleur shifts.   

It appears that my system is going to sleep on long steeper climbs and wont turn on unless I have some sort of larger impact to the vibration sensor/s.  I am starting to wonder if the vibration sensors are not sensitive enough, and/or do not work at steeper angles. (This is happening on gravel road climbs, not smooth asphalt, so there is a lot of bike bouncing and road impacts.)   (I have about 800 miles on the this EDS TX.)

Fleckinger

« Reply #323 on: June 17, 2024, 04:30:17 PM »
Some findings about derailleur.
Looks like the FD battery is removable, but there is sealant between the battery and the derailleur body (pic 1) and I found a report of water ingress through that gap between the battery and body (pic 2). And some device insides as a bonus.
Additionally, there is a report of PCB corrosion caused by condensation due to temperature changes (dew point).

Tijoe

« Reply #324 on: June 17, 2024, 05:06:59 PM »
Is that corrosion I see on one terminal of the battery to how it mates with the derailleur pins? 

biceryder

« Reply #325 on: June 17, 2024, 06:51:38 PM »
Yes, been there.
Go to initial calibration under equipment debugging and manually move the front and rear derailleurs to the positions shown under debugging shifting. Then exit and proceed with fine tuning. I learned to always shift to the large ring in front and the smallest cog in the rear before going back to initial calibration or it calibrates to your current gear position and messes everything up.

Hey, quick update.  I followed this advice and started my initial calibration all over last week.  After that I did a few minor fine tuning adjustments.  Went on some good training rides this weekend.  Happy to report my EDS TX rim groupset is running smoothly and quietly with no gear skips.  Additionally, I shortened my chain by one link and got the b-screw a little closer without losing tension on the chain.

I have gotten it wet and muddy from road spray but I have ridden it in any downpours.  I hope the waterproofing is addressed in future iterations.  For the price I have been very satisfied with this group (despite the slow shifting of the FD).

Fleckinger

« Reply #326 on: June 18, 2024, 12:51:15 AM »
Is that corrosion I see on one terminal of the battery to how it mates with the derailleur pins?

Yes.

Fleckinger

« Reply #327 on: June 18, 2024, 01:24:37 AM »
Additionally, there is a report of PCB corrosion caused by condensation due to temperature changes (dew point).

Here's the picture of those PCB.

As an addition the picture of a shifter button and a report about shifter water ingress.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 01:29:22 AM by Fleckinger »

Fleckinger

« Reply #328 on: June 18, 2024, 06:20:39 AM »
Here https://youtube.com/watch?v=-k5TzYEYwJg you can see that RD battery easily removable, i hope Wheeltop will sell batteries separately as other spare parts. Also video contains some instruction to prevent water ingress, you can turn on auto translation for subtitles, they are decent.