Author Topic: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame  (Read 38472 times)

Fleckinger

Re: Hygge Aero Carbon Frame
« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2024, 09:41:47 AM »
So, it seems I am once again unlucky enough to have a problem. My handlebar has developed all these little bumps in the paint, especially on the exposed top part where there is no bartape.
I have searched a little and have found this is called "microblisters"and is because of bad prepping before paint. Moisture is trapped and after a while it come to the surface and pushes the paint up.

I have contacted Hygge and will keep you updated...

How much flex does your handlebar have? Does it flex, or is it stiff as alloy handlebar+stem?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2024, 09:43:28 AM »
How much flex does your handlebar have? Does it flex, or is it stiff as alloy handlebar+stem?

I don't put down a lot of watts, but to me it is plenty stiff... You can find this handlebar from Kocevlo on Ali

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #332 on: March 22, 2024, 07:26:53 AM »
Well, I would recommend anyone thinking about a Hygge frame to look somewhere else. This brand is very dishonest and WILL NOT HONOUR THE 24 MONTH WARRANTY they claim on their website.

Like I said before I noticed a lot of little bubbles on the handlebar last week. After looking it up this is probably microblistering and is because of bad paint preparation and moisture trapped under the paint. This will show as bubbles after a while.

I contacted Hygge on Aliexpress because the bike is only 7 months old and has done a little over 1.000km (it was not used during winter).

They straight up denied warranty because according to them it is impossible that paint defects show up only after 7 months and they also claim paint defects are no reason for warranty.

I also went to their Aliexpress store page and looked trough the reviews. They seem to be having a habit of denying responsibility of wrong deliveries or frames that get damaged in transport.

I am actually really sick of all these crappy brands and sellers that are supposed to give 24 months of warranty, but if you need it act like nothing it's wrong so leave it to the customer to spend a lot more money to fix the sellers problems.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 07:33:28 AM by TidyDinosaur »

Stephiso

« Reply #333 on: March 22, 2024, 08:20:24 AM »
Meanwhile i'm supposed to receive my frame next week lol

You should post the pics of it here and on socials since they seem to lurk and steal people's photos. Maybe that'll get them to act.

On the other hand, i think they use a rebranded handlebar from some other company and sell it for like 100$ so it's not that expensive if you ever need to purchase another one and hope that yours was a one off defect....or go with your own handlebar... But i hope you get it resolved somehow
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 08:32:34 AM by Stephiso »

Fleckinger

« Reply #334 on: March 22, 2024, 09:16:26 AM »
Well, I would recommend anyone thinking about a Hygge frame to look somewhere else. This brand is very dishonest and WILL NOT HONOUR THE 24 MONTH WARRANTY they claim on their website.

Like I said before I noticed a lot of little bubbles on the handlebar last week. After looking it up this is probably microblistering and is because of bad paint preparation and moisture trapped under the paint. This will show as bubbles after a while.

I contacted Hygge on Aliexpress because the bike is only 7 months old and has done a little over 1.000km (it was not used during winter).

They straight up denied warranty because according to them it is impossible that paint defects show up only after 7 months and they also claim paint defects are no reason for warranty.

I also went to their Aliexpress store page and looked trough the reviews. They seem to be having a habit of denying responsibility of wrong deliveries or frames that get damaged in transport.

I am actually really sick of all these crappy brands and sellers that are supposed to give 24 months of warranty, but if you need it act like nothing it's wrong so leave it to the customer to spend a lot more money to fix the sellers problems.

Can you show a photo of these bubbles?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #335 on: March 22, 2024, 10:28:51 AM »
Can you show a photo of these bubbles?

coffeebreak

« Reply #336 on: March 22, 2024, 10:30:34 AM »

I remember yours was one of the first Hygge frames here. Looked terrific, price was great, communication was good ~, excellent colors etc. Within 6 months we have come this far. Long term reviews are so important! Did you pester them on their IG account yet? I have often found companies respond better on social media than sending them a mail.

jonathanf2

« Reply #337 on: March 22, 2024, 10:57:26 AM »
Hygge probably used the bottom of the barrel integrated carbon bars similar to those cheap Kocevlo drop bars for like $50 USD. I ordered Kocevlo bars that came blistered like that brand new, luckily I was able to return it. Plus it was heavy as s**t at 410g. My integrated gravel drops are a good 60g less weight and much better quality. I think if I do get a new frame in the future, I'll opt to buy without handle bars.

patliean1

« Reply #338 on: March 22, 2024, 11:24:07 AM »
I have a VB-268 frameset delivering later today. When it comes it to building up these super budget frames I find that a careful consideration of 3rd party components, wheels, and hardware are far more important than the frame itself. At this point I don't even bother ordering handlebars or headset bearings anymore.

Obviously a customer should not need to do this if the brand is providing decent equipment. But usually this is where the cost cutting measures have been made. Don't leave the 3 contact points up for chance.

Quality handlebar/stem/wheels from reputable brands, extra long compression plug, and a reliable bottom bracket. The marginal upgrade of each component collectively can transform most $500 frames.

Serge_K

« Reply #339 on: March 22, 2024, 12:57:01 PM »

Really looks like it's purely a surface finish issue. I painted trim once, too much primer and too much paint in too cold a room and not enough time between coats, and the paint cracked all over. I know nothing, but i really doubt this has anything to do with the structural integrity of the bars. I dont understand from your picture if you got a special paint job or if it's just standard black bars.
What's the answer here, a quick fine grit sanding and clear nail polish to protect the carbon, or just sanding and polishing / buffing as you probably wont reach the carbon?
Unless you think the carbon is getting soft and the whole thing is starting to delaminate and collapse on itself?

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #340 on: March 22, 2024, 01:13:13 PM »
I don't plan to do anything with the bars. It will probably be a finish issue so no integrity problem.
The bars are cheap yes. These are indeed the same as the Kocevlo bars that you can get for a little over 60€. But since they are integrated bars, I am not looking forward to replacing them.
I'm just amazed at how Hygge is handling this. It can not cost them more then 30-40 USD to send me a new handlebar, bit they just deny the problem and act as if granting warranty is a choice of the seller. If they act like this for this little money, you can be sure they will not honour warranty when there is a problem with the frame. The bad reviews support this hypothesis. They just hide behind Aliexpress policies instead of helping the customer.

It looks like Hygge is just one more seller that is friendly and supportive when they want to sell you something, but the opposite when you need them to fix a problem.

Fleckinger

« Reply #341 on: March 22, 2024, 03:09:56 PM »
It looks like Hygge is just one more seller that is friendly and supportive when they want to sell you something, but the opposite when you need them to fix a problem.

Congratulation, you discovered a typical seller/brand that sells very cheap products.

They (and many others) sell a frameset, sometimes with a handlebar, for 450-550USD, it's 3-5 times cheaper than cheapest options from a big brands. And for me it's strange to expect, that they want to spend 50-100USD to replace handlebar with bad paintjob. With these cheap chinese frames you just play roulette, with high risk, high reward.

And about handlebar, I suggest you or forget about it, or start to write them on social networks, aliexpress chat, mail etc. This might lasts weeks. If you still can - open aliexpress dispute.

Stephiso

« Reply #342 on: March 29, 2024, 09:30:26 AM »
Received and started building the bike and ran into my first problem.

Overall on the outside everything looks pretty good.

However, my seat post won't go in all the way because there is a lip of carbon. I'm missing around 10mm of seat post inside to get my desired seat height. I think I have 2 options:

1) File down the carbon in the seat tube so that the seat post goes in.
2) Cut the seat post by 10mm

Also noticed some imperfections but I think are mostly cosmetic from the mold
Does anyone know what's better?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 09:32:08 AM by Stephiso »

TidyDinosaur

« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2024, 09:40:32 AM »
How far does your seatpost go in? There is a max insertion depth, so it is normal you have to cut your seatpost

Stephiso

« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2024, 10:47:34 AM »
How far does your seatpost go in? There is a max insertion depth, so it is normal you have to cut your seatpost

It was stopping at the #7 marking which is like 18cm in the seat tube

Also for future reference. official torque specs from Hygge
Seat Post clam: 5-6 nm
Stem: 5-6 nm
Handlebar: 5-6 nm
Compression plug: 6 nm

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 10:53:00 AM by Stephiso »