Author Topic: Chinese Carbon 29er Pic Thread.  (Read 262513 times)

MTB2223

Re: Chinese Carbon 29er Pic Thread.
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2016, 03:05:25 AM »
What do you think about the chain length? Don't really know how short it can be with the 1x11 setup...
Nice clean bike!

About the chain length. I think it's a little bit to long, but if you can show us a picture when the chain is on the smallest cog, we can give a better advise.

Maybe better to create a new topic about your bike and your questions. This topic is intended to be for pictures (and specs) only.

What bike model is this ?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 03:07:56 AM by MTB2223 »

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »

What do you think about the chain length? Don't really know how short it can be with the 1x11 setup...

That already looks about as short as you should go on the 1x11 chain.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Jar_head

« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2016, 06:27:42 AM »
Thanks! It's a Workswell WCB-M-062.
Workswell WCB-M-062: 7905 grams
Focus Cayo Evo 2.0: 6260 grams

For sale: http://bikemarkt.mtb-news.de/user/193302

xcbarny

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
Nice looking rig. Seems like the workswell has taken off as a viable option now.

How do you like the Race Kings. I thought about buying em, but worried they'd be a bit slidey on my local conditions at the moment - very dry loose over hard.
Dashine bike Carbon Singlespeed Rocket. http://chinertown.com/index.php/topic,844.0.html

Mike_Queyar

« Reply #124 on: June 12, 2016, 12:41:41 PM »
Here is my Yoeleo M91 now its on 25pounds its built with some old x5-x7 group.....Im hoping to get it to 22-23 pounds when I can get a XT or SLX new groupset and maybe change the suspension to a 80mm....Im saving and will see what I can upgrade in the coming months.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:03:42 PM by Mike_Queyar »

Jar_head

« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2016, 04:54:53 AM »
Nice looking rig. Seems like the workswell has taken off as a viable option now.

How do you like the Race Kings. I thought about buying em, but worried they'd be a bit slidey on my local conditions at the moment - very dry loose over hard.

Hi,

if I were you, choose another tire. For the exact same reason I'm gonna change my Race Kings again for Schwalbe's Rocket Ron & Thunder Burt.
The Race King (Race Sport 29x2.0) is too slippery in dry (as well as muddy) corners. I have about 1250 km on my pair now.. and encountered several times side slipping front tire. And I am very sure, that this would not have happened with a Rocket Ron on the front wheel.
But I could imagine that maybe the Race King in a wider version (2.2) could provide more cornering grip.
Back then I chose the smaller version because of the lower weight, which was in my case 464 g and 467 g (=931 g per pair).
If I would not have flattened the rear tire due to too low pressure, I think the tires (espacially the rear one) have a duration of probably 2000 - 2500 km.

The pair of RoRo and ThuBu (both PaceStar EVO LiteSkin) might come to 917 g. For me, they are race proven and I will compete the rest of the season on that tires. In very wet conditions I will switch to RoRo on the back too.

Sorry for my english.. It's the german guy here ;-)

Norman

920R

« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »
Hi guys, first post, but I've been reading for 6 weeks while I built my bike. I just finished my FR-202 build last night. I'm an old road biker and didn't want a dedicated road bike or a mountain bike. This is what I decided would best suit my current riding style. I ride 8 miles each way to work on mostly roads, 2 miles of rail trail and some gravel trails if I take the shortcuts. I ride on the weekends for fun and exercise and it's not unusual for me to go 40 miles in a day but 100 miles would be. I'm a little old and brittle to go crashing on the side of a rocky crag in the middle of nowhere, so I got the hardtail frame instead of the full suspension. I went with a 9 speed XT driveline with triple rings up front and the new XT M8000 brakes with the icetech rotors. Everything else is chiner carbon. My first impressions, with 20 miles on it, is that the bike is light, responsive and surprisingly smooth. I'll be out on it this weekend and will update if anyone wants to hear it. Thanks for all the guys that post on here, I have learned a lot and I appreciate your expertise.

Patrick C.

« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2016, 01:24:38 PM »
Nice!  Are those rim-brake wheels?  At first I thought the braking surface was a white wall :)

Looks like a perfect hybrid for what you're riding, and you can tweak it if you want to make it fit better.  I didn't have any luck with the web saddle I tried- it felt good but cracked on the first ride, then broke in a few places on the second.  Of course I'm 205 lbs and was using it on rough singletrack, but am interested in how it holds up. 

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »
Nice bike 920R, thanks for posting!
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

920R

« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2016, 10:35:24 PM »
Nice!  Are those rim-brake wheels?  At first I thought the braking surface was a white wall :)

Looks like a perfect hybrid for what you're riding, and you can tweak it if you want to make it fit better.  I didn't have any luck with the web saddle I tried- it felt good but cracked on the first ride, then broke in a few places on the second.  Of course I'm 205 lbs and was using it on rough singletrack, but am interested in how it holds up.

Haha, they are combo rim/disc brake rims in 700C size from when I converted my Fuji Sunfire to discs. They are relatively light and straight so I figured I would use them here before investing in an expensive set. I'm old, but what's a whitewall? ;) The web saddle was an impulse buy trying to go light and they have good reviews. It's holding up ok but I went around the pond a few times on the gravel roads tonight on the way home and it was a bit hard on the sit bones. I have a comfy Serfas Dual Density saddle on one of my other bikes and may be swapping it over to this ride. 

I heard some creaking from the front fork tonight and the headset had a wobble, so I'm going to check all that in the morning. It could be just everything seating in but I'm not happy with the method of tensioning using the expander plug that came with the frame and may be upgrading that and the headset bearings because of a stickiness in the steering.

Altogether I'm happy with the quality of the frame and, so far, the durability. I half expect it to snap in two when I hit a bump but so far so good. If it helps me to stay motivated, on 2 wheels and in shape it's worth it in my book.

Thanks Carbon-Dude! your 057 was an inspiration to me in doing this one.

Jar_head

« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2016, 04:50:37 AM »
Nice clean bike!

About the chain length. I think it's a little bit to long, but if you can show us a picture when the chain is on the smallest cog, we can give a better advise.

Maybe better to create a new topic about your bike and your questions. This topic is intended to be for pictures (and specs) only.

What bike model is this ?

Finally some pictures about the chainlength..

What do you think?

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2016, 06:50:53 AM »
Nice pictures Jar_head!  As for the chain length, if it's shifting okay then it's probably fine.  Did you size the chain per the SRAM instructions by putting the chain around the largest cog?  Compared to mine, it might be a one link shorter or so but if you are happy with the way it's shifting while your riding, then it's good enough.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

bxcc

« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35:53 AM »
Finally some pictures about the chainlength..

What do you think?

Judging by these two pictures, I would take at least one link out. I like to run my chains as short as possible and it seems to keep things a bit quieter too.

carbonazza

« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2016, 04:18:52 PM »
What do you think?

You should check if your chainstay protector is not too far from the derailleur cable.
I think the chain will hit the chainstay just after the cable.

920R

« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2016, 12:29:21 PM »
....I didn't have any luck with the web saddle I tried- it felt good but cracked on the first ride, then broke in a few places on the second....

Well, you were right Patrick. The web saddle started cracking and failed after 4 rides. It was surprisingly comfortable but not well engineered as it flexes and cracks at the flex points. It's been replaced with a Serfas dual density foam seat from another bike. I also had a lot of unexplained headset creak so I updated the rigid CF fork to a Fox Evolution 120 and dumped the supplied headset for a Cane Creek Forty. I may go back to the rigid fork with the Forty for road use because the front is almost too plush now and hard braking takes some getting used to.

Here's the latest iteration. It's even smoother and more comfortable now and still pretty light. I have a few hundred trouble free miles and enjoy riding it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:42:15 PM by 920R »