Author Topic: Can We Take Minute to Discuss Drivetrain Wear?  (Read 10522 times)

Vipassana

Can We Take Minute to Discuss Drivetrain Wear?
« on: February 26, 2016, 09:57:20 PM »
I've had my setup for about 1.7 years now.  Full XX1/X01 drivetrain with all SRAM parts. In this time, I've completed a few century races, several endurance races, dozens of 60-100 mile training rides, and tons of 10-40 mile fun rides.  For much of last year I was riding 5-10 hours a week training for Leadville.  Ok, enough bragging...

While I don't have anywhere close to a total for mileage on the drivetrain at this point, we're easily into the thousands of miles.  I ride in mostly dusty, gritty, dry environments.  The length of my rides means I'm frequently finishing the ride with a dry raspy drivetrain.  I clean the bike often and well and use Finishline Dry Lube every ride.

In this time, I've replaced nothing except a front chainring, this past December (1.5 year mark). 

This brings me to my question: is XX1/X01 really this robust or am I missing something here?  I read nothing but posts about chains being spent after 250 miles or cassettes and pulleys toasted at 450 miles and needing replacement under warranty.  Tons of gripping about XX1/X01 maintenance costs being off the charts.

As I mentioned, this past December, I was forced to change my front chain ring.  The OEM SRAM unit finally started creaking loudly under load and would not quiet down despite thorough cleaning and lubing.  It was clear it was very worn at this point when compared to the new unit.

Tonight I bought a chain stretch tool and a new XX1 chain out of curiosity.  I figured my current chain must surely be stretched to hell.  Well, I had to force the tool in place to get 0.75% stretched.  The 1.0% side didn't stand a chance of fitting.  This tells me the chain was worn, but not wildly so.  Looks like I caught it just in time.

I have no skipping or shifting issues. Everything on the bike rides crisp and nice.

Am I alone in this experience?  Did I find the magic combo of cleaning and lube?  Am I weak and lacking the power to stretch a chain?! 

What have you guys found on the topic of drivetrain wear?  Particularly you XX1/X01 guys.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 10:08:33 PM by Vipassana »

Vipassana

Re: Can We Take Minute to Discuss Drivetrain Wear?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »
And because we all like pictures:

Old X01 chainring:

Old X01, Thick tooth width:

New Absolute Black Oval, Thick tooth width:

Old X01, Thin tooth width:

New Absolute Black Oval, Thin tooth width:

Thick:
New - 3.68mm
Old - 3.43mm
Delta - 0.25mm

Thin:
New - 1.99mm
Old - 1.76mm
Delta - 0.23mm

0.75% side on old chain.  Had to force it to get it in there:

1.0% side on old chain.  No chance of fitting:

carbonazza

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 03:35:07 PM »
I started with a full XX1 around the same time as you.
Cleaning and lubing my chain after every ride(yes, every... and 3 to 5 times a week now) with Finish line too, but the wet version.
And changing my chain about 3 times a year.

My first ring, the SRAM 28 didn't last long( teeth making hooks like your picture after just 3 months ).
The SRAM bottom bracket died at the same period too. And was replaced by a BBInfinite.

Then I took a 30 spiderless from Chromag, it lasted 5 months, before making hooks too.

Then the beautiful oval Absolute black 32.
At the same time, my chain jumped, under load, from the 4 smaller sprockets of my XX1 cassette, it was worn out.
I concluded my rings were too small, and took finally an oval Absolute black 34.

Then I broke my rear XX1 derailleur(an unlucky branch broke the composite cage that is not replaceable).
Because of the price, I moved to an XTR derailleur, and don't regret it( I noticed yesterday the bottom pulley is worn out though).

I used 3 XX1 chains, broke 2! ( I relax the load when shifting )
Then an X1.
And finally switched to KMC X11 SL chains.

Compared to you, a disaster :)

But now it looks finally stable.
The Absolute black ring, BBInfinite BB, KMC X11 chain and the XTR derailleur are still holding strong.

cmh

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 07:25:27 PM »
Not much to compare - I've only been riding SRAM X1 for a couple months now, (none of this fancy XX1 stuff yet) but I just got the stock SRAM chain to drop in with the Park Tool chain measuring tool at the 0.50% mark. Took that as the call to swap the chain with a KMC X11SL. That was around 440 miles on the bike.

At the same time, I swapped out the OEM SRAM 30t chainring - always seemed to be a bit on the small side for the Epic, even though it never seemed to be a problem. Careful inspection showed a tiny amount of wear, but not that bad. Will keep it on hand as a backup or for if I'm heading somewhere with a ton of climbing.

Swapped on the Absolute Black 32t oval - always used Wolf Tooth before this, but they don't make an oval in the 4x94mm BCD of the new SRAM cranks - and these cranks don't have the spiderless option.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 06:24:30 PM »
On my -036 I am at about 800 miles and I am hearing a bit of creaking out of the XX1 front chainring under load.  I've checked the chain stretch with the Park Tools chain measurement tool and I cannot get the 0.75 side to drop in.  I'm thinking I need a new chainring and probably replace the chain as well.  The rear cassette and rear derailleur have been fine.

I did have some wear issues when I first put together my -057, the chainring wore out quicker, around 400 miles.  When I talked to SRAM they said the expected wear from the chain was much lower than expected which caused the chainring to wear faster.  I have to agree the chainring wore fast but not sure about the chain being that much harder than a normal chain.  They sent me a replacement chainring and chain, this chain did not have hollow pins.  I was told the new XX1 chain did not have hollow pins.  So I'm not sure how many miles I have on that drivetrain as early on they also replaced the XX1 rear derailleur and XX1 cassette under warranty for a creaking issue that ended up being a problem with my free hub.

So in the end, my only complaint so far is the quick wearing 32T chainring.  I saw one company was making XX1 chainrings out of 7075 Aluminum, forget who it was.  Also, I read that SRAM had come out with an X-SYNC steel chainring.  (https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/sram-x-sync-steel-chainrings)  I'm thinking because of all the wear issues.  This might be my next replacement ring.  Below is a picture of the 28T SRAM X-SYNC™ steel chainring, I will stick with the 32T.

I just placed an eBay order for a new SRAM X1 11-spd chain and SRAM 32T steel ring, for a total of $41.80 w/ free shipping out of Madison, WI.  Should be here next week.  I will provide an update after I get it installed.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 06:44:35 PM by Carbon_Dude »
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 11:09:04 AM »
Interesting feedback guys.  I really appreciate the thoughtful replies.

I wish I could contribute more about my other bikes in the past and how they wore, but it was honestly something I never looked at.  I rode until they broke, then I replaced.  It's only now, because of the cost of this bike and the criticality of its functioning (endurance races and long solo trips into the desert) that I've been paying attention to it. 

It seems we can all agree that the weak point is the aluminum chain ring.  But if I can get 1+ years of riding out of it, I won't complain too much.

I'm wondering if the climate I ride in isn't less harsh on the components as well.  dry and dusty might be much better than wet and gritty.

Either way, despite the apparent wear issues for some, I think X1/X01 has been a great system.  The introduction of cheaper versions is even better to get more people in on the 1x11 fun.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 12:38:09 PM »
I've already received my SRAM X-Sync Steel chainring and new chain.  I will install them this weekend and report back.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

carbonazza

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:24:30 PM »
Things get worse... I put the new chain on yesterday.

During the first ride, the AB 34 ring was creaking.
And the chain jumped when climbing/pushing on some sprockets.

I will need to investigate but I'm afraid the cassette is toast again.
The ring still looks fine though.
I put the old chain back, and will wait for the cassette to die totally.

And according to Strava... after riding about 2900Km(1800 Miles) in 171h and climbing 32km(105,000 feet)

MTB2223

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 01:48:38 AM »
Just ordered a new Shimano XTT 11-36T cassette with a KMX X10.93 chain voor my son, his set was worn out more than 1% now, but still running smooth. And a new HG-701 Shimano XT Ultegra chain for my daugther (we will swap chains every 100km). And two new KMC x10.93 chains for me which I will use with a SunRace 10sp MX3 11-42T black. (this will replace my current setup (HG-95 and CS-M771) which is already worn out for 0.75%, but will hold the rest of the winter).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:50:41 AM by MTB2223 »

carbonazza

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 01:57:27 AM »
we will swap chains every 100km

Can you elaborate on this ? :)
How many chains in total will you use, and what is the idea behind this?

outriding9800

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 12:55:47 PM »
maybe 1000km?

i like to swap chains 2-3 times a season.. seems to shift better / and thinking it will not wear the cogs out as much

MTB2223

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 04:38:38 PM »
i like to swap chains 2-3 times a season.. seems to shift better / and thinking it will not wear the cogs out as much
Yes, that's also my reason, but more often.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 06:54:51 PM »
Well, my mistake, the SRAM X-Sync Steel Chainrings do not have the same BCD as the SRAM XX1 Chainrings.  However, I took another look at my current XX1 32T ring and it doesn't appear to have much wear on it at all.

I will be returning the steel ring and just keep running my current XX1 ring a while longer.  Didn't notice any grinding sound on my last ride so I will have to say, so far so good on the wear of my XX1 drivetrain.
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA

Vipassana

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 12:32:01 PM »
Well, I just read a pretty indepth article about the design of the new Eagle XX1/X01 drivetrain system.  It appears that SRAM put a lot of thought into making the system as a whole more robust by addressing many of the known weak spots like chain and chainring wear.  I very eager to see how it works. 

I would REALLY like to upgrade to it, but being the earliest adopter might not be the best.

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2016, 02:09:29 PM »
Do you have a link to the article you read?
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
Atlanta, GA