Author Topic: ICAN triaero A9  (Read 32265 times)

patliean1

Re: ICAN triaero A9
« Reply #120 on: June 27, 2022, 04:28:44 PM »
This frame looks lovely.

Anyone any recent photos in the wild?

noseparade

« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2022, 09:19:29 PM »
My frameset came about a week ago and I was giving it a look over today. Something caught my eye which I wonder if anyone else ever experienced. There is a hole drilled into the fork for internal routing of hydraulic brakes (nothing wrong with that, quite ordinary). Right next to it is what appears to be another hole that was drilled, and then filled with some sort of resin. Has anyone seen a fork like this? I'm worried that it's not safe to use, though I can't imaging ICAN would knowingly patch over a hole and then drill another one if they didn't think it was out of safety tolerances.

patliean1

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2022, 08:52:06 AM »
My frameset came about a week ago and I was giving it a look over today. Something caught my eye which I wonder if anyone else ever experienced. There is a hole drilled into the fork for internal routing of hydraulic brakes (nothing wrong with that, quite ordinary). Right next to it is what appears to be another hole that was drilled, and then filled with some sort of resin. Has anyone seen a fork like this? I'm worried that it's not safe to use, though I can't imaging ICAN would knowingly patch over a hole and then drill another one if they didn't think it was out of safety tolerances.

What did ICAN say about the hole when you contacted them?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:08:35 PM by patliean1 »

noseparade

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2022, 11:04:17 AM »
What did ICAN say about the hole when you contacted them?

I talked to Peggy over WhatsApp and after checking with their factory she said it was normal

RDY

« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2022, 12:41:03 PM »
I would definitely not say it's 'normal' ... unless their forks are all the rejects from when the factory workers are drunk at 4pm on a Friday and start drilling the holes on the side of the fork instead of the front.  Also there's generally very high porosity (loads of small voids) - suggesting something wrong with the resin - and the join below (in photo) or above (on steerer) looks really bad.   In general this looks like it's really bad quality.

noseparade

« Reply #125 on: August 01, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »
I would definitely not say it's 'normal' ... unless their forks are all the rejects from when the factory workers are drunk at 4pm on a Friday and start drilling the holes on the side of the fork instead of the front.  Also there's generally very high porosity (loads of small voids) - suggesting something wrong with the resin - and the join below (in photo) or above (on steerer) looks really bad.   In general this looks like it's really bad quality.

Yeah it is a bit odd isn't it... the "official" hole is on the side which is consistent with what I've seen on other forks with internal routing. It is just that pocket of resin that looks like a filled hole that worries me. I doubt you could even call the pores "voids" since whatever fills that hole was placed after the initial vacuum.

noseparade

« Reply #126 on: August 01, 2022, 09:33:58 PM »
So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say none of your headtubes look like this on the inside either...  :o

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 09:40:25 PM by noseparade »

Velovelo

« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2022, 10:57:50 PM »
wow

St0mpB0x

« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2022, 06:02:09 AM »
I've had a bad experience with an ICAN quality issue as well recently. Although not as shocking as the above head tube. I'll probably make a post about it properly soon.

Irideslowly

« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2022, 06:38:39 AM »
Hambini would have a field day.

Oh, his frame was perfect. How convenient.

bamboo_mountain

« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2022, 06:49:29 AM »
That is horrible, absolutely not safe to ride, and further evidence that we really are rolling the dice with these budget tier frames. I think it is clear at this point that anyone who has not bought anonymously or been sent a frame for review has been sent a "good" frame, and we the consumers get whatever rolls of the line with essentially no QC.

patliean1

« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2022, 07:48:00 AM »
I get contacted everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, on my recommendation for a new frame set.

And I always give the same answer: Spend as much as you can.
It’s surprising how many folks outright tell me they have the budget for a Yoeleo/Winspace/Seka, yet believe buying a $500-$700 frame will yield similar quality and experience. It won’t.

RDY

« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2022, 08:23:00 AM »
So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say none of your headtubes look like this on the inside either...  :o

That's appalling.  Not just the bearing seats (which are way worse than my already shitty VB-099) but the headtube itself too.

RDY

« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2022, 08:27:30 AM »
I get contacted everyday, sometimes multiple times a day, on my recommendation for a new frame set.

And I always give the same answer: Spend as much as you can.
It’s surprising how many folks outright tell me they have the budget for a Yoeleo/Winspace/Seka, yet believe buying a $500-$700 frame will yield similar quality and experience. It won’t.

I don't think people should expect Yoeleo to be in the same bracket as Speeder or Seka ... they're cheapo frames with pretty paint.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 03:07:42 PM by RDY »

Icyseanfitz

« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2022, 05:33:03 PM »
That's bloody horrible, my ICAN p9 frame was finished to a completely different level, what are they saying?