Author Topic: John's IP-057 build - first bike build ever  (Read 46833 times)

Patrick C.

Re: John's IP-057 build - first bike build ever
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2014, 01:35:12 PM »
I've done two sets, and both needed a while to finally seal.  The first pair was with tubeless ready rims and tires- one held air fine even with no sealant, while the other only took a couple of days before it held well.  The second set was with iPlay hookless rims and tubeless ready tires- those took at least a week to hold pressure overnight, and one wheel had a slow leak for even longer, but they eventually formed a good seal and have worked well.  No flats at all, but I did have to pump up the front a bit on the first ride after I skidded it through a corner and burped it. 

What pressure are you getting them up to?  A higher pressure may help to get everything seated, and flatten out any wrinkles.

jwilds1

« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2014, 06:17:30 PM »
Merry early Christmas to me!

Not only did I find out I got a promotion at work today, I was able to kinda finish it up. 23 pounds by my bathroom scale. It's still stuck at 1x10 because of the front derailleur, and I bit the bullet and threw a tube in the rear.  Not extremely pleased with how the red accents worked out - the hubs and bar match okay, but the cables are BRIGHT red, and the pedals are almost magenta, but this is a rider not a wall-mounted queen.  Will probably need a longer stem but that can wait a little.

Straw poll - how many of you added the carbon grip stuff to the seatpost? I've cranked on the clamp as much as I feel comfortable doing and it's still slipping a little

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2014, 07:36:05 PM »
Looks good jwilds1, I like the Christmas tree behind in the shot.

I have yet to see someone beat my 19.5 lb IP-057 1x11 build :), but then again everyone seems to be building IP-256 frames these days.

As for the carbon paste, I didn't use any at first then I spoke with two local bike shop master techs, they both highly recommended carbon paste on the seatpost and on my carbon bars.  Even though nothing was slipping, the paste also keeps the dreaded creaks away.  Just make sure you use a good brand like Finish Line or one of the other popular brands.
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

Patrick C.

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »
I used it on mine.  Relatively cheap add-on when you're ordering a bunch of components. Hopefully you can pick it up locally.

Forgot to add- awesome Christmas present! 

blueducati

« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2014, 10:05:49 AM »
Looks great dude! And congrats on your promotion. That means you can buy more bike stuff!!

I use Carbon paste on my road bike, but it has an aero seatpost and have been known to slip. With the carbon paste (Tacx), it hasn't.

outriding9800

« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
My previous bike i could not for the life of me get the seat to stay (it was an alu frame)..

I picked up a Thomson seat clamp and torqued it to spec and bam it works. I move the seatpost and seat clamp to my 057 and it works with no issues.

I was going to put carbon paste on mine but i went to RBS (downtown Rochester) and the peeps there never heard of it..

<facepalm>

outriding9800

« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2014, 10:26:24 AM »
I did a carbon fork and XT and my bike ended up being 21.6 lbs so yours with a fork is right on target..

Carbon Dude.. no one likes a show off  ;D  (but if my bike was sub 20 i would be talking it up)

Carbon_Dude

« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:49 AM »
I have to give credit to the very light DT Swiss wheel set and XX1 setup for that sub 20lb light weight measurement. 
2019 Stumpjumper Expert 29/27.5+
2017 Santa Cruz Stigmata
2017 Trek Stache 9.8 (29+)
2016 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Carbon Comp 6Fattie (27.5+) (Sold)
2016 Trek Stache 9 (29+) w/upgrades (Sold)
2014 -036 Full Suspension Chiner (Sold)
2013 -057 Hardtail Carbon Chiner (Sold)
Atlanta, GA

outriding9800

« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2014, 12:31:25 PM »
My wheels are pretty sweet.. carbon rims, dt swiss revo spokes, alloy nipples, hubs are decent (mtb270/mtb180) ..

I put 180mm rotors on mine..

And your xx1..

jwilds1

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2014, 02:17:04 PM »
I wasn't going after major weight loss here - if I had been it would have been a 1x setup and a carbon bar, and I would have been more dilligent on the quest for tubeless.  I wasn't keeping track of every gram here and there...  I'll just say it's muuuuuuuch better than my 36 pound fatbike :)

jwilds1

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2015, 01:45:42 PM »

Was finally able to make it out on the Chiner this morning. About 34 degrees out, and we had a big thaw over the eek end but everything was frozen pretty well. I just cruised around my local spots - we have a lot of hiking and multi-use trails.

The good - everything worked really well. Brakes seemed to have a lot of lever travel before engaging but they clamped hard once engaged. Sizing was good, and I'm having third thoughts about my stem length. No burps from the one (yeah, one) tire I have tubeless and that was at about 10 psi.

The bad - this @$!# carbon seat post will not stay clamped!! Even with carbon grip, and with me cranking as much as I'd like to, it turned into a dropper about a third of the way on my trip. I felt like a 13 year old on a BMX bike with my knees hitting my chest. I also had one instance where the chain dropped to the inside - I was able to catch it in time before it caused any damage. It's weird too, because I was on the big ring at the time.

Sitar_Ned

« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2015, 01:56:50 PM »
Looking good, man.. love the black and red.

Just be patient, you'll get all the little kinks worked out. It's odd that you can't get you post to stay put even with carbon paste and tightening it down all the way.. This may seem like a captain obvious moment but have double/triple checked to see if you have the right size post diameter for your frame?

As for the chain drop.. I'm no pro at drive trains so I'll let someone else chime in there.

Patrick C.

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2015, 03:04:17 PM »
Great shot in the snow! 

Wow, only 10 psi?  Was that front or rear?  I'm still a noob at tubeless, but I'd be worried about bottoming out and damaging the rim.

Any guesses on what caused the chain drop?  Were you pedaling, did you hit a bump, etc.? 

Edit- meaning, did anything happen that may have contributed to it jumping off? 

I also have the XT 2X10 and it's been great.  I think it actually shifts smoother in the front than in the rear when I'm going up a steep climb and have to downshift- it just drops right on to the little ring, very smooth.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:09:37 PM by Patrick C. »

MTB2223

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2015, 03:27:57 PM »
Really awesome bike!

About the seat post: use hair spray to make your seat post a little bit thicker. I had the same problem and this with carbon paste solved it for me and it hold now for months.

MTB2223

« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2015, 03:36:02 PM »
About the chain drop: isn't your chain to long? When the chain is on the smallest cog and on the biggest chainring, the two dérailleur wheels should stay above each other, they should make a vertical line. And are you using a rd with a short cage? I'm using a long cage and no problem. Not even chain slapping the frame.